SSD Trim and recovery question

ronan_zj

Weaksauce
I just upgraded to Windows 10, and I noticed the SSD optimize tool is SSD trim. However, after I ran the SSD optimization showing 100% trimmed, I noticed the trim didn't work because I could still recover my deleted files via data recovery software ( I had win 7 before win 10). In addition, I also noticed I could recover my old files I deleted back to 2013. Does it mean TRIM function will not wipe the block unless I do secure erase on the SSD?

Is the SSD an internal SSD on SATA? If it's an external SSD connected via USB, TRIM does not erase data.

You have system recovery turned ON.. So files you delete will not get over written, just the area will be marked as inactive but used.. You need to turn off shadow copies and system recovery.. ALL your deleted files will be recoverable until the area is actually marked as unused.. De-fragment programs CAN also delete these restore points OR leave them alone.. They will show up as the swap file and hibernate file does.. unmovable.. I use this in case I delete some files by mistake.. This is different than the recycle bin type.. shadow restore points are used in such things as copying files that are used by the system or making image backups etc.. The files will not change from the restore points onwards no matter what you do. So a database that is used by everyone can be frozen.. Or source code etc.. You can then deal with the system as if thats a snapshot of the system at a certain point in time (date/time)..

Until these files are actually deleted, Trim can not send the signal that those blocks are now unused..

evilsofa, it is an internal SSD on SATA.
AlienTech, I have checked my windows 10, and my system recovery is off, and my shadow copy is disabled.
for my SSD, I have 2 partitions, C and D. for partition D, I right click drive and click property, then "tool"--"Optimize". I select optimize drive D, and it shows 100% trimmed. after this, I use a data recover software (like Disk Drill) to check if the trim works, and I notice I could still recover old data I deleted.

Did you actually check the recovered file? It might recover A file.. filled with 0's... The MFT entry would still be there but just showing the file as deleted. Trim will cause the SSD to actually erase the block during garbage collection.

Did you actually check the recovered file? It might recover A file.. filled with 0's... The MFT entry would still be there but just showing the file as deleted. Trim will cause the SSD to actually erase the block during garbage collection.

yes, I recovered it back to my original drive, and all files were recovered. However, it is interesting that if I perform a quick format on the drive, all the data is wiped, and i could not recover it at all.

Back