FBI Understaffed To Tackle Cyber Threats

HardOCP News

[H] News
Well this is comforting to know. :(

The FBI is struggling to attract computer scientists to its cybersecurity program mainly due to low pay, a report by the U.S. Department of Justice showed, highlighting weaknesses in a flagship initiative to tackle growing cyber threats.

Right, this is why they intend to flood the market with H1 visa holders......so that way computer science careers will pay the same as Uber drivers and Travel Agents.

It doesn't matter how much resources you throw at that type of problem, you'll never be able to get a handle on it.

They sure the reason isn't also that they are the FBI? They'd have to pay me more than they could imagine to work for them. Of course that includes all the government agencies.

It doesn't matter how much resources you throw at that type of problem, you'll never be able to get a handle on it.

This!

One doesn't have to be a trained, experienced, background checked, professional who'd be willing to work for the FBI in order to cause problems for people. Any old bored kid with a little bit of time on his hands can sit anywhere in the world, and cause plenty of problems. There's not much of a barrier to entry to be a "cyber-criminal". The barrier to entry for someone who will fight against them is considerably higher, with not many motivating factors.

The FBI is bloated as fuck.

Every single shortcoming of government is always the same excuse. Not enough money.

Right, this is why they intend to flood the market with H1 visa holders......so that way computer science careers will pay the same as Uber drivers and Travel Agents.
It's really inevitable. Low pay in IT is common, it will continue to the 'higher tier' of CS. The need is so large that really there isn't much of a choice.

What kind of "low pay" are we talking here? $80K a year?

I believe "most" (a good amount) of CS jobs start as GS9 42,399.00 - $55,116.00 a year ~ $20 an hour. +- little for locality. +- a few grades/steps depending on experience or education (masters/certifications,etc)

I believe "most" (a good amount) of CS jobs start as GS9 42,399.00 - $55,116.00 a year ~ $20 an hour. +- little for locality. +- a few grades/steps depending on experience or education (masters/certifications,etc)

My current entry level pay as a (mobile) app dev with a company thats already offered me the job pending my graduation in December is ~67k in the Dallas, Texas area.

This company also offers 401k / pension / full benefits / performance based bonuses / yearly COL bumps, and it is a global corporation (65k employees).

43k as a minimum floor is an absolute joke, and 55k being the roof is just insulting if those are legit numbers. You would imagine with the federal government consuming trillions of $$$ a year, particular agencies would get a larger slice of the pie given their mandates (like the FBI / nat'l security) and be able to compete head 2 head with private sector wages in the cyber security sector.

My current entry level pay as a (mobile) app dev with a company thats already offered me the job pending my graduation in December is ~67k in the Dallas, Texas area.

This company also offers 401k / pension / full benefits / performance based bonuses / yearly COL bumps, and it is a global corporation (65k employees).

43k as a minimum floor is an absolute joke, and 55k being the roof is just insulting if those are legit numbers. You would imagine with the federal government consuming trillions of $$$ a year, particular agencies would get a larger slice of the pie given their mandates (like the FBI / nat'l security) and be able to compete head 2 head with private sector wages in the cyber security sector.

You would think, but unfortunately that is not the case. Best case with a few years of experience and a masters degree, you're looking at a GS 12 (General Scale 12) - 61,486.00 - $79,936.00 +- a few thousand for locality.

I work with the Govt and can confirm, the average entry CS job with the Feb is starting at GS9, or lower.. with a maximum of GS12, with experience / masters / PhD. GS13-14 is reserved for lots of experience / leadership / education. (GS 13 = 73,115.00 - $95,048.00)

We call our IT department, "The UNit".

No, it's not a compliment. It stands for "United Nations" IT, because it's chaired by the son of immigrants who hires almost exclusively H1 Visa immigrants and pays them shit. This is a guy who has the title of director, and makes in the neighborhood of 120k in an area with low living expenses. He literally does nothing, other than walking around with his nose in the air and being pissed if you don't refer to him as "doctor" such and such. I've literally watched him more or less falsely cause Americans and make life so unpleasant that they leave on their own accord. Good people too.

An American citizen has about a snow balls chance in hell of working in that department, let alone staying.

One other point,

Ever notice how the people.who can't do a job themselves scoff at paying a someone who does? They want someone to do something they cannot personally do, but they bitch about compensating the person who does it for them.

IT people in this country have been getting screwed for two or three decades, imo. They don't seem to have the leverage that the other trades enjoy.

Exactly, most upper management view IT as just an expense and not as the major tool or resource for their company.

Back