$75,000 Reward To Catch Wild Fire Drone Operators

HardOCP News

[H] News
Want to make an easy $75,000? Turn in the people that were flying those drones over the wild fires in California earlier this month.

San Bernardino County supervisors unanimously agreed Tuesday to offer $75,000 in rewards for help in tracking down drone operators who interfered with firefighters during three major wildfires this summer.

You could, but you really only need to track and DF their control signals. It's easy stuff. There are people that have it down to a science. Of course, the people I am talking about could do it against a US Person, not wittingly at least :D

Now that is a great motivator to get people to squeal and narc out someone. :D

Is it possible to get the easy stuff cheaply for firefighting crews, and easy enough for them to learn to use it in their spare time, and possible for them to deploy it in the field in a couple of minutes?

This is impossible now that the whole thing is done and over with. You cant track something that is no longer there.

They will show the footage to someone, someone that might snitch. Of course that is only if they somehow are smart enough to not put the video or images up on Youtube/Facebook or the like.

Is it possible to get the easy stuff cheaply for firefighting crews, and easy enough for them to learn to use it in their spare time, and possible for them to deploy it in the field in a couple of minutes?

What? As in drones for firefighters? There's plenty that fly themselves. It's just the FAA regs are a little sketchy.

A tree branch, light rain, or a small flying animal can take a drone right out of the sky. How can emergency services realistically be having any difficulty with drones?

This is impossible now that the whole thing is done and over with. You cant track something that is no longer there.

Eventually one of them will get dumb enough to put up their video they captured on youtube lol

A tree branch, light rain, or a small flying animal can take a drone right out of the sky. How can emergency services realistically be having any difficulty with drones?

Because voyeuristic assholes who think their $2000 toy drone is more important than other people's cars and houses and property go all lawsuity when firefighters shoot them down.

Remember seeing a liveleak video earlier in the week, with a bird flying into a small plane. To say there was some damage would be an understatement.

Birds are a serious danger to aircraft, they could damage an aircraft that collides with them. Aircraft are not designed to collide with anything solid while flying.

The problem is when emergency responder uses helicopters in the area of a disaster, and you have drones hovering in the same airspace.

How about they just jam the signal next time, then follow the drone as it automatically flies back home....

Durrrr, because these dont tend to do so well when large metal objects get sucked inside them

ipfwgTv.jpg

How are they going to follow it?

blog-hp-CEMEXRedwoods_WilliamKMatthias_RedwoodsCenter-0048_causes.jpg

Well, if you jam it electronically, then you follow it the same way. Better yet, you just use the live signals to track down the operator right on the spot and forgo all the foolishness.

Yes you can. Read up here;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measurement_and_signature_intelligence

You'll have to think and maybe do a little more research to understand what's going on here.

Are you suggesting that a CIA team should magically appear whenever a firefighting crew needs to get a drone out of the way?

If you wouldn't mind, take a little time off from asserting your intellectual superiority and actually suggest a solution that can be fielded by firefighters within a few minutes when it would do them some good. This implies equipment of some sort. Is that equipment cheap, easy to obtain, and easy and quick for firefighters to bring along and deploy in the field? Who's going to fund the purchase of that equipment? Who's going to train them to use that equipment?

Are you suggesting that a CIA team should magically appear whenever a firefighting crew needs to get a drone out of the way?

If you wouldn't mind, take a little time off from asserting your intellectual superiority and actually suggest a solution that can be fielded by firefighters within a few minutes when it would do them some good. This implies equipment of some sort. Is that equipment cheap, easy to obtain, and easy and quick for firefighters to bring along and deploy in the field? Who's going to fund the purchase of that equipment? Who's going to train them to use that equipment?

you don't need the CIA for this, Ham radio operators do it all the time for fun, called a Fox hunt, all they need is a handheld radio with a homemade directional antenna. The only thing specialized would be something that can pickup the 2.4Ghz signal from the drone transmitter, but that should be pretty easy to find.

https://youtu.be/tQ8gNHAFXXY?t=33m1s

I don't understand the whole ham radio operator thing. What's the fascination? Maybe I could if it was like, before 1940 or something....I can't see the attraction in today's era.

Do most of those guys have some type of disaster "prepper" attitude or tendencies, or something? I just can't conceive how anyone could develop pleasure from the hobby.

I don't understand the whole ham radio operator thing. What's the fascination? Maybe I could if it was like, before 1940 or something....I can't see the attraction in today's era.

Do most of those guys have some type of disaster "prepper" attitude or tendencies, or something? I just can't conceive how anyone could develop pleasure from the hobby.

There are some of those guys but there are also digital modes (think irc) packet radio, long range WiFi, talking to the international space station, software defined radios, diy projects using raspberry pi etc and other stuff I don't even know about.

And people don't understand why people spend way too much money on computer hardware to play games is smart... People like ham radio's , military drones, toy quad copters, google glass, ATVing, guns. Not everyone likes what someone else likes or knows anything about the other's hobby.

These idiots will be caught just like in the old days when someone down the street had an illegal C-band sat dish and receiver. They brag to their friends about not paying for HBO and their friends who have to pay HBO turns them in. I'm sure they have already posted this on one of the many video services and even though they removed it, someone will track them down.

Oh and trying to "jam" their signal or shooting it out of the sky is illegal. Just ask the redneck from Tenn who got arrested.

Personally, I still can't see how a toy quad copter is going to get close enough to a helicopter and it's downwash to be a hazard. But I don't know much about real life helicopters to state that as a fact.

Personally, I still can't see how a toy quad copter is going to get close enough to a helicopter and it's downwash to be a hazard. But I don't know much about real life helicopters to state that as a fact.

What if the quad copter is flying higher than the helicopter? There would be no downwash and it could fly right into the main rotor. But most fires arent fought from the air with helicopters, they are fought from the air with air planes, flying low altitude at 100+ mph. The quad copter would destroy the engine if ingested into a turbine powered plane, and severely damage the prop or worse if flown into a propeller driven plane. It could also shatter the windshield of the pilots, cut into a wing, any number of things. Trust me, you dont want ANYTHING crashing into an airplane EVER.

Bring in a sniper and shoot the drone down. Since the National Guard is already on site fighting the wildfires, it shouldn't be too hard to get a sniper from the same.

Back