Microsoft Working On Streaming PC Games To Xbox One

HardOCP News

[H] News
I kinda like the idea of streaming PC games to the Xbox One but wouldn't it be easier to just make the Xbox One play PC games natively?

"Challenge is good." The real challenge of getting PC to Xbox game streaming working is encoding games and having the right amount of bandwidth to stream them to the Xbox One. Streaming from Xbox One to Windows 10 PCs is a lot more predictable "because we know exactly what you have," says Spencer. "It's actually a little more challenging doing the encoding on the PC side to the Xbox, but challenge is good."

If the $50 Steam Link can do it, the hardware in the Xbox One should be able to as well.

If the $50 Steam Link can do it, the hardware in the Xbox One should be able to as well.

Agreed. It'd be a cool feature to have, which would be a unique (in a traditional console, at least) thing to offer. It won't make me want a PS4 less, but definitely adds a brownie point or two.

wouldn't it be easier to just make the Xbox One play PC games natively?

No, because they'd run lousy and make it look bad. The only reason Xbox One games look as good as they do is that the code is closely coupled to the hardware. The Xbox One would perform roughly like a Radeon 7790 with an 8-core AMD netbook processor.

So I can emulate playstation games on my pc and stream them to my xbone? haha F*** you microsoft muahahaha

The Xbox One would perform roughly like a Radeon 7790 with an 8-core AMD netbook processor.

I'm pretty sure by stream it means the PC would do the heavylifting and simply offload the video output to the XboxOne while passing thru the controls. Kinda like the Nvidia Shield / tons of other devices.

XboxOne wouldn't even break a sweat.

Fixed that for you. ;)

Yes...;) Streaming from the PC...well, if it's any sort of demanding game there's no choice but to play on the PC and stream the result to the xBone, because the xBone itself is not strong enough (by a longshot) to process and play the game natively anywhere near as well as a decently spec'ed PC...;) The xBone internally *is* an x86 PC, but a very weak x86 PC (by even middling PC standards.) It should be obvious that a game console that can't do 1920x1080 standing on its head in 2015 (xBone can't do it at all sometimes) cannot process a game to run as well as a PC that streams to the xBone. But, seriously, why not just leave the xBone off altogether? Seems way more trouble than it's worth. Whether living room or office, PC is the way to go, imo.

Yes...;) Streaming from the PC...well, if it's any sort of demanding game there's no choice but to play on the PC and stream the result to the xBone, because the xBone itself is not strong enough (by a longshot) to process and play the game natively anywhere near as well as a decently spec'ed PC...;) The xBone internally *is* an x86 PC, but a very weak x86 PC (by even middling PC standards.) It should be obvious that a game console that can't do 1920x1080 standing on its head in 2015 (xBone can't do it at all sometimes) cannot process a game to run as well as a PC that streams to the xBone. But, seriously, why not just leave the xBone off altogether? Seems way more trouble than it's worth. Whether living room or office, PC is the way to go, imo.

I do like the idea of the eventual play anywhere you want idea. my pc is in my office with a couple smaller monitors, would be nice to stream some games to the living room which has the better tv and sound system. Just as I like the idea of if my gf is watching tv, i can stream my xbox to the office.

Would be interesting, but personally I wouldn't use it as I already have my pc connected to my tv along with the xbox. Only feature I liked so far was the xbox one to pc as that prevents me from having to switch over to the other unit, but also requires me to plug my controller into the pc.. so not much of a good trade there.

I would like to see this, or somehow have a good solution for streaming games from a high powered PC to my TV or whatever screen for that matter.

For me, this is an interesting concept. I only game on PC, but i wish all the driving and sports games on xbox were on PC. So, if i could steam PC to my living room and get the console only games as well,... that sounds like a winner to me. This could be a way for MS to overcome the hardware short comings of the xbox one, just have the xbox as a gaming hub, while your home PC is the muscle. They should just allow Win 10 to emulate the xbox too. Then stream to your xbox central hub. I think MS is trying to get out of the hardware console race, so the new windows can stream and play on multiple platforms, while Sony is stuck on one piece of hardware.

Back