AMD Working On A Radeon R9 370X Card?

HardOCP News

[H] News
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Chinese website EXPreview has published what they claim are specification for the AMD Radeon R9 370X video card. I snagged the image below for those of you that can't reach the site.

well after the supreme disappointment over the 300 series so far... my first thought is "meh"

The 300 series was a disappointment? I think you mean the Fury series.....

Well, they are both firmly intertwined.

Prior to the across-the-board re-brand announcement, the most hopeful rumors were:

1. Fiji being sold as 390x/290 at Hawaii launch prices ($550/400).

2. 8GB Hawaii being relabeled 380x/380, priced at $300/$250.

Instead the world got an expensive Fiji, and the highest re-brand price increase in AMD history.

Do the Radeon drivers still suck? I've had one experience with ATI/AMD and the drivers were such a nightmare, I never went back to them....

Do the Radeon drivers still suck? I've had one experience with ATI/AMD and the drivers were such a nightmare, I never went back to them....

They haven't sucked for years, and I'm saying this as someone who owns both Nvidia and AMD/ATI cards. Almost all of the people I see complaining about AMD's driver's haven't owned an AMD or ATI product since the Rage 128.

They haven't sucked for years, and I'm saying this as someone who owns both Nvidia and AMD/ATI cards. Almost all of the people I see complaining about AMD's driver's haven't owned an AMD or ATI product since the Rage 128.

AMD's drivers were actually better than Nvidia's for the first 2 years after Vista dropped, Nvidia's Vista drivers were very unstable.

AMD's drivers were actually better than Nvidia's for the first 2 years after Vista dropped, Nvidia's Vista drivers were very unstable.

They also had the advantage in Crossfire scaling for a bit, but that has flip-flopped from time to time.

That said, my next card at this rate will be an Nvidia Pascal if Arctic Islands turn out a similar result to Fiji, and I hope that's not the case.

They also had the advantage in Crossfire scaling for a bit, but that has flip-flopped from time to time.

That said, my next card at this rate will be an Nvidia Pascal if Arctic Islands turn out a similar result to Fiji, and I hope that's not the case.

IF there is an Arctic Islands.

Not to be an armchair engineer, but AMD needs to drop the Massive FP32 circuits, and add more ROPs. While this might be a boon for their Fire series in CAD and Maya type apps, it's really not helping the gaming community where they need to sell a boatload.

And the days of using a GPU for mining ARE OVER. The keys are too complex to turn a profit.

It's the only thing that will make them competitive.

300 series... 200 series... :eek: Is there really a difference? I know the answer, and it isnt much ;)

Just the price lol, I was going to bite on a R9 380 last week till I found out its just a R9 285 for $50 more. I ended up getting a R9 290 for $10 more than what the 380 cost lol

Just the price lol, I was going to bite on a R9 380 last week till I found out its just a R9 285 for $50 more. I ended up getting a R9 290 for $10 more than what the 380 cost lol

Sounds like another informed user :D

Delighted to hear you're keeping up on all available hardware options and not limiting your choices to one particular brand...because of an unpleasant experience with a particular driver update.

Not a week ago, [H]ard gave the 380 a Gold Award. As we all know, they don't hand those out willy-nilly.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015...ssipation_4gb_video_card_review/#.VbmqEG6rSHs

Summary: The Fury was a let down, the 300 series overall is Gold Award solid.

They only gave it "gold" because:

1. AMD finally dropped the price on the 2GB 285 when they rebranded it.

2. because of all the whiners surrounding the Fury, the crew here have been sitting on a damned 4GB GTX 960 for over two months, but have not released a comparison with a 2GB card. Same goes for the 2GB 285 versus 4GB 380.

They have all four cards.

I do not believe they would have given the 4GB 380 a gold if you had done due diligence and actually discovered the 2GB ram adds zero value. Several review sites have already done this.

Yikes!

You sound hysterical man. Everything is going to be okay bro. I'm sure Brent and/or Kyle will pipe in very soon to address your assertion that they lack "due diligence."

Look dude, just read the damn review conclusion page:

The VRAM capacity difference however did not seem to be a real game changer for the Radeon R9 380. At the performance level of the Radeon R9 380 operates 1080p gaming is its sweet spot, no matter what AMD tells you. This is not a 1440p video card for decent gaming settings. Unfortunately for this video card it isn't able to play at the game settings or resolutions needed to require 4GB of VRAM in current games.

And since the price-drop on the R9 285 is across-the-board, you can pick-up the 2GB model of the same card for $200:

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Dissipation-Display-Graphics-R9-380P-F22M/dp/B00ZFNDRFC

So tell me again, WHY does it make sense to give a card that's priced $40 too high for a useless new feature a GOLD award? Just because it's price-competitive with the 4GB GTX 960 doesn't mean you ignore the 2GB cards when making your decision.

Silver? Sure! But "best in class" gold? Hell no!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back