Download Windows 10 Here

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you want to download Windows 10 to install at a later date, Microsoft has provided a tool to create your own installation media using either a USB flash drive or a DVD.

Use the media creation tool to download Windows. This tool provides the best download experience for customers running Windows 7, 8.1 and 10. The tool includes:
  • File formats optimized for download speed.
  • Built-in media creation options for USBs and DVDs.
  • Optional conversion to ISO file format.

I believe I've been running a final version of windows 10 for about two weeks now. It says I can opt-into get insider previews if I want and it already features a grove app as apposed to xbox music or just music, as it starts off being named..

Instead of getting fbi_ buidls of windows, one day it gave me a th_update.

I am at work please let me know how it goes if you use it and refrain from dbag posts if you don't use it but want to rant lol.

a. any improvements in o/s speed?
b. do games feel faster?
c. how is civ v after year 1900? lol that should be a benchmark.

also for my nephew is a league of legends obsessed teen... is it now working in win10? it had not as of may.

also for my nephew is a league of legends obsessed teen... is it now working in win10? it had not as of may.

Yes. You do have to go into Compatibility Settings and turn off DPI scaling. Then, it works perfect.

So it says your "key" -- are they referring to a valid (legal) Win8 key that would also let you install Win10?

Apparently I have the Win10 install data sitting on my SSD via Windows update -- but anytime I go to check for updates or mess with the little win10 tray app it doesn't do anything for me in terms of updating.

Already made a backup image of my C: would love to experiment with this today!.

I believe I've been running a final version of windows 10 for about two weeks now. It says I can opt-into get insider previews if I want and it already features a grove app as apposed to xbox music or just music, as it starts off being named..

Instead of getting fbi_ buidls of windows, one day it gave me a th_update.

I downloaded and installed this morning and I am pretty sure I was already running the final release as well since it is, as far as I can tell exactly the same.

Apparently these ISO's only work as upgrades unless you have a specific Windows 10 key. Inputting a 7 or 8 key doesn't work.
MS promised the ability to do a clean install for upgraders, so I'm curious how it will work. No clue if the insider master key works with these as it was disabled last week. It might be functional again now, though.
Anywhoo, I've been on the OS for about a month and I'm okay with it. It's generally snappy, although the start menu isn't as nice as I'd hoped. I'm also not a fan of how it handles DPI scaling throughout the OS either.

Apparently these ISO's only work as upgrades unless you have a specific Windows 10 key. Inputting a 7 or 8 key doesn't work.
MS promised the ability to do a clean install for upgraders, so I'm curious how it will work. No clue if the insider master key works with these as it was disabled last week. It might be functional again now, though.
Anywhoo, I've been on the OS for about a month and I'm okay with it. It's generally snappy, although the start menu isn't as nice as I'd hoped. I'm also not a fan of how it handles DPI scaling throughout the OS either.

Hmm - well as a man who much prefers clean installs this is semi-sucky news.

The idea of building a machine having to Install Win 8 on it, only to have to go through another upgrade process, pain in my ass.

As always -- I will kind of laugh when I see how quick one of those pirate sites comes out with a fully cracked and activated tool to make the Legit Win10 ISO's work.

Thanks. I was wondering if my Win 7 key could directly work. Too bad.

Not that I'm in a hurry, so I hope there will be a way for us to do a clean install in the near future.

I'm also not a fan of how it handles DPI scaling throughout the OS either.

I have been running 10 since November and I have to agree. The graphics end is one of the few remaining weaknesses. Obviously with the Nvidia debacle, but also with DPI scaling and a few other graphics system niggles.

So....I have windows 8 installed. I want to upgrade to windows 10, but they have yet to send me the notification that I'm ready. So can I use this link to create a CD and upgrade before MS telling me it's my turn?

Probably i'll have to use this app, yesterday I had the "Windows 10 Update" icon.. (GWX.exe) today the icon just gone completely. no windows 10 ready, nothing. It's this normal?.

I think that you still need to upgrade using windows update first so that a windows 10 key is created. Then will be able to install manually with a fresh install.

If you were prevented from "reserving" your free upgrade due to being on a domain, this tool will allow an upgrade. HOWEVER the "upgrade this PC now" just gives a very informative "Something happened" error which then goes on to say "something happened".

So to do a clean install, you accept the upgrade, upgrade, nuke the pc from orbit, pop in this iso and do not enter a key. On activation it will see your hardware signature and be considered genuine.

My question is, if you have a retail box windows 7, how do you install win10 on a new pc, since you never got handed a windows10 key?

Microsoft is just begging people to run pirated copies.

So they want me to invalidate my Win7/8 key, and then when I swap out a mobo or video card or w/e, invalidate my Win 10 fingerprint so I'm left with no option except to pirate or pay?

I don't think so....

I tried to use the media creation tool. It finished downloading and this message came up: "Something happened." LOL

Maybe I'll try again another time...

So they want me to invalidate my Win7/8 key, and then when I swap out a mobo or video card or w/e, invalidate my Win 10 fingerprint so I'm left with no option except to pirate or pay?

I don't think so....

Along with the way it's upgraded to do a clean install, etc. for free upgrades, yes it will be pirated quite a bit. It's frustrating for noobies or slightly technical. I'm sure we could all get it done fairly easy. I haven't tried doing a clean install (will be doing tonight with several variations) with Windows 8 installed, but I'm going to find out the difficulty. Clean install, clean install after upgrade, upgrade only, etc.. If it's not easy, people will look for an alternative.

I don't think so....

You can rollback at any time to your previous install. That's in the Win10 FAQ.

As for invalidating the license when doing a hardware upgrade...duh? If you're running an OEM copy right now of Win7 or Win8, then that's the current license standing. It's against the TOS to upgrade hardware like that on an OEM copy. You're supposed to purchase a new license or buy a Retail copy that allows you to transfer the license to a new set of hardware. There's just always been a way around that by calling into the phone activation. How dare MS fix their exploit! :rolleyes:

If you're planning on upgrading major hardware (motherboard/cpu), then buy a retail copy of Windows like you've supposed to have been doing since forever, so that you can transfer the license to new hardware.

If you have OEM Win7/Win8 right now, then the Win10 upgrade gets OEM license rights. If you have a retail Win7/Win8 right now, then the Win10 upgrade gets Retail license rights (meaning yes you can transfer to new hardware).

I have had to call MS twice and it was a great experience both times although I went in with the attitude of "oh yeah right like they will help me" which they did and I had my keys fixed.

You can rollback at any time to your previous install. That's in the Win10 FAQ.

As for invalidating the license when doing a hardware upgrade...duh? If you're running an OEM copy right now of Win7 or Win8, then that's the current license standing. It's against the TOS to upgrade hardware like that on an OEM copy. You're supposed to purchase a new license or buy a Retail copy that allows you to transfer the license to a new set of hardware. There's just always been a way around that by calling into the phone activation. How dare MS fix their exploit! :rolleyes:

If you're planning on upgrading major hardware (motherboard/cpu), then buy a retail copy of Windows like you've supposed to have been doing since forever, so that you can transfer the license to new hardware.

If you have OEM Win7/Win8 right now, then the Win10 upgrade gets OEM license rights. If you have a retail Win7/Win8 right now, then the Win10 upgrade gets Retail license rights (meaning yes you can transfer to new hardware).

Anyone know how Technet keys are handled?

What's the scoop with MS installing their own video card drivers with no option to custom install Nvidia or AMD drivers?

Anyone know how Technet keys are handled?

If you run "slmgr -dlv" in command prompt, it denotes that it's a Retail license. I'm running a Win8.1 copy from DreamSpark, and that's the result I get.

Though I'm waiting to do any upgrades to Win10 until I find out more for sure. If anything, I'll just use my Win10 standalone license I get from DreamSpark and run that, rather than upgrading my Win8.1 install.

1. Download this tool.
  2. Run it and create the media you'll use for a clean install later. But do not install Windows 10 at this time.
  3. Close the tool.
  4. Run the tool again and do the in-place upgrade.
  5. Upon completion, the unique hardware hash ID has been sent to Microsoft and your computer now has a valid activation for Windows 10 on file.
  6. Wipe the computer and install Windows 10 using the media created in step 2.
  7. Profit.

Might have to do this on my laptop, which currently runs Win8, while I do have the Win7 "feel" to it, something about it still doesn't feel quite right. But then again the computer is a cheapy one I picked up when BestBuy gave money for ancient hardware with WinXP (which I just so happened to have collecting dust).

Now my desktop running Win7... not quite sure I want to upgrade that to Win10 quite yet.

fcd7290eda.png

wow

Plus it's a Saturday so that means we won't touch it at work until Monday.

Fortunately, I was able to download the enterprise version from MSDN. It took a few hours though for Visual Studio to allow me to start developing Windows 10 apps, though now I can start to learn DX12.

So far, I like it a little better than 8.1, yet not a big fan of all the ads placed throughout the operating system. Is there any way to uninstall that garbage instead of just hiding it?

Fortunately, I was able to download the enterprise version from MSDN. It took a few hours though for Visual Studio to allow me to start developing Windows 10 apps, though now I can start to learn DX12.

So far, I like it a little better than 8.1, yet not a big fan of all the ads placed throughout the operating system. Is there any way to uninstall that garbage instead of just hiding it?

ads within the OS? you gotta be shit'n me. :mad:

Hmm - well as a man who much prefers clean installs this is semi-sucky news.

The idea of building a machine having to Install Win 8 on it, only to have to go through another upgrade process, pain in my ass.

As always -- I will kind of laugh when I see how quick one of those pirate sites comes out with a fully cracked and activated tool to make the Legit Win10 ISO's work.

Couple things.
For the most part, it does do a clean install. It does what Win 8.1 download upgrade did for Win 8.0, basically moving everything to a folder "windows.old" and then never using any of the old remnants of the previous OS (unllike the old XP upgrades).

Second, I wholeheartedly agree its a pain in the ass to have to install Win7/8 first. That is a gigantic waste of time. Fuck that, especially when I will probably do this dozens of times for not only my machine but for my friends and family. I can stop eating cheeseburgers for a week and buy Win10, I'm no longer a broke college student.

I do understand why they did it this way though. It ensures that the OS was previously validated by their systems as a proper legal install and thus qualifies for the free upgrade. They use to do this by placing the old disc in the drive during install, but the discs are easily copied and disc drives themselves are slowly dying off. If you simply installed Win 10 from scratch using a Win7/8 key, then it makes the logistics more complex to figure out if that key was used multiple times before or preventing the key being used again. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but MS probably took the easy way out on this one.

just finished up my 3 home computers (mine,wifes,daughters) without issue .. nice :)

Currently downloading an ISO copy now. Here's hoping I don't get the dreaded "Something Happened." screen.

Back