Slashdot And SourceForge To Be Sold

HardOCP News

[H] News
You would think these guys would have something more positive to say about Slashdot and SourceForge considering they are trying to sell both sites

The Company acquired Slashdot Media in 2012 both to provide the Dice business with broader reach into Slashdot's user community base and to extend the Dice business outside North America by engaging with SourceForge's significant international technology user community. The Company, however, has not successfully leveraged the Slashdot user base to further Dice's digital recruitment business; and with the acquisition of The IT Job Board and success of Open Web, the anticipated value to the Company of the SourceForge traffic outside North America has not materialized.

za5AgU9vSnz1K.gif

FINALLY SLASHDOT HAS COME BACK TO THE GEEKS!

That site has always been a cesspool, so their comments don't surprise me. When I want some comedy I go there to read about M$(tm) destroying innovation(tm) with their embrace extend extinguish(tm) monopolies(tm).

I stopped giving a shit about sourceforge after it became spyware laden bullshit crapware site.

I stopped giving a shit about sourceforge after it became spyware laden bullshit crapware site.

^this

both sites used to be good sources but just kept sliding down over the years i actually forgot about /. lol. they used to bring so much traffic it was reddit level of users back in the day.

Never cared about Slashdot. I know a lot of people that were obsessed with it, though.

Sourceforge was great until they injected their own spyware into every download.

so the suits acquire the sites, set about trying to "monetize" them, destroying what made them great in the process, traffic stays away in droves, then the suits are "WTF?"

sounds like poetic justice to me

Sourceforge used to be awesome, but.... recently, I'd had to avoid it like the plague. Not a fan of their crapware at all.

I still like Slashdot's moderation system, but... more and more of the articles have been clickbait, and not actual relevant news. There was a good thread regarding the state of the current IT job market / wages / overall compensation the other week though.

I still like Slashdot's moderation system, but... more and more of the articles have been clickbait, and not actual relevant news.

This, and I can't remember the last time I logged in (to be able to post).

Yeah, many places that used to be the go to place to get whatever, now start with "download this download manager and install it to get what you want" yeah fuck you, that's not how the internet works.

This reminds me that I need to go cancel my projects on sourceforge and move them somewhere else.

Yeah, Slashdot isn't dead, it's just not growing, and the people on the site are not the type who take well to video ads. Also, you people complaining about trolls should check the comments section today: the younger attention seekers have moved on, so the audience is mostly older people who don't encourage that kind of whit anymore.

You can post an anti-Linux comment, an anti-Apple comment, or a pro-Windows comment, and ACTUALLY GET MODDED UP, assuming you have some reasoning/proof behind the comment. It's why I started reading the site a whole lot more in the last 10 years.

Never cared about Slashdot. I know a lot of people that were obsessed with it, though.

Sourceforge was great until they injected their own spyware into every download.

Are you me? LOL. Seriously though I feel the same about both sites.

Frack...there goes SourceForge site which I went to regularly for good programs. Never had a single issue with spyware/crapware from them.

Back