normal to only get 1 Mbit transfer between PCs on 802.11g router?

dr.kevin

2[H]4U
When transferring medium files between 2 pc's on my network, I only get 140 KB/s.

Both pc's have good-excellent signal.

Where is the bottleneck? the router or the wifi chips in the pc's? I've never had a single wifi transfer touch even 1 MB/s

Router is wrt54g and wireless cards are atheros and realtek.

I can upload/download through the cable modem at 5mbps over wifi no sweat, so why can't I transfer files between pcs like that?

"good-excellent signal" is kind of meaningless. If you're in a bad environment for 2.4Ghz like say.. an apartment complex that's entirely possible.

Plus the WRT54G is very old at this point, i'd say it's rather past time to upgrade to at least .11n, if not .11ac so you can use the 5Ghz spectrum. More channels to use over there and it's generally less crowded than 2.4.

On Wireless G, usually best case speed is 2-2.5 MB/s. If you have wireless client -> AP -> wireless client it is going to be closer to half that, so 1-1.25 MB/s.

Note this is *usual*, there are exceptions above and below. Wireless G is 54 Mb/s or 6.75 MB/s. Wireless is half duplex so that speed is cut in half plus you have overhead and if there are other devices and clients nearby or interference, it'll be less still.

Definitely need to change your channel, and see if it get's better.

Mind as well use an external HDD to transfer data...

ok, i put my isp's dual band 802.11n router modem in the same room as 2 pc's with 802.11n adapters.

Everything in the same room, I get shit speed transfer- no more than 2.5 MB/s transferring a 100MB file from pc1 to pc2.

router, pc1, pc2 arranged in 3 points of a triangle.

normal?

ok, i put my isp's dual band 802.11n router modem in the same room as 2 pc's with 802.11n adapters.

Everything in the same room, I get shit speed transfer- no more than 2.5 MB/s transferring a 100MB file from pc1 to pc2.

router, pc1, pc2 arranged in 3 points of a triangle.

normal?

If they are that close why not have a wired gigabit network?

If they are that close why not have a wired gigabit network?

they're that close for testing only. Normally they are in different rooms.

I'm just trying to determine what my realworld maximum is for home network pc-pc wifi transfers.... in this case, running all 2.4ghz 802.11n hardware.

If I needed to transfer lots of files, I use a patch cable for direct pc-pc connection.

So, did you try changing the channels? A new router doesn't change the fact that your 2.4Ghz band might be saturated with networks.

Take a look at the wifi channel saturation in your home. You can use an android app called "Wifi Analyzer" You may find your network on the same channel as other wifi networks.

my home is not saturated at all.
wifi analyzer doesn't show a lot of networks. My neighbors are far apart.
The modem was running channel 11, which has no other networks.

I checked the specs of this Ubee modem router, and it's actually an 802.11ac router 3x3 high power antenna 2.4/5ghz simultaneous.
It can't be too shabby.
and yet I only get 2.5MB/s local network file transfer speed while the modem is set to 802.11n exclusive mode.

I think the shitty wifi-n chips in the pc's are N150 max. Would that result in 2.5 MB/s max speed? I'd expect at least 5 MB/s transfers.

What speed do you guys get transferring 200MB files on wifi home network?

I just need something to compare to

Last edited:
it's not too far off really.. again, it's half duplex... Wifi wasn't meant for big file transfers.

EDIT:
Look at the status of your link, and whats the speed? A lot of N adapters are like 65Mbps adapters MAX.

I'm connected at 144Mbps at work (AP right above me) and I was able to do 10-11MB/s durring a transfer. My T440 has an AC adpater, but the AP is N.

Last edited:
You're right.

the adapters are stuck at 72mbit. They are capable of 150mbit connection, but the stupid fancy modem is stuck in N mode 20mhz.

I read it should be 40mhz for the adapters to sync at 144mbit

Back