Look at the Big Box on Corsair 3600MHz DDR4

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
When I got the package from Corsair I thought for sure they had accidentally sent me at least 128GB box of RAM rather than 16GB of DDR4. This link goes to its 3400MHz rated Dominator Platinum modules, as the 3600MHz is not for sale yet. While only "16GB" it is a pretty swanky looking kit.

Last edited:
you giving those away when you are done? I wouldn't mind getting a $750 set of ram. :eek:

you giving those away when you are done? I wouldn't mind getting a $750 set of ram. :eek:

I am pretty sure I will be using this for a good while testing new motherboards.

I don't mean this sarcastically, just genuinely curious:

At 3600mhz, do we finally see some clear benefits over, say, 2400mhz DDR3?

The latency of DDR4 has so far been obscene.

I love new generations of computer hardware, but when it costs $750 and might be nearly the same performance as DDR3 that costs anywhere from 1/3 to 1/6 the price of that it's hard to be excited.

I hope you find a good solid 20% improvement or something in the review.

Do you really think that Corsair is trying to pump a huge volume of these parts? For the most part these are proof of concept and manufacturing for a memory company. These sticks are used for low temp overclocking and generally to show off basics of actually being able to function on motherboards. So if we can run 3600 on motherboards and CPUs that are newly released, you are likely to be a bit more confident about shooting for something a bit lower in the overclocking range. That and epeen.

That's just nuts...especially considering these obscene speeds haven't shown any consistent performance increases.

All depending on what software you use. For games yes i agree, but there is other high performance task that does not involve gaming or 3D. Brute force kompression like memory speed at lot of fast compression are limited memory speed (and I/O )

I am just glad the top rail is a different color so I can grab the right kit the first time on the RAM-littered test bench. :)

Hey Kyle, which board are you gonna test with? I'm curious because I want to see if other boards have issues with the airflow fan mount blocking the first PCIe port on other boards. The Rampage V gets some overlap, and a lot of others seem to have the same issue at first glance.

do you actually HAVE to use the stupid fans that come with these sticks or can you do without?

Those are really cool looking. I have a set of 2133Mhz DDR3. They glow nicely.

do you actually HAVE to use the stupid fans that come with these sticks or can you do without?

Yes unfortunately, Corsair has stated they act as a bimodal voltage transduction balancer. Each one is tuned for this particular application. They are being used much in the same way an oscillator is used in a clock circuit.

Hmm..... I could speculate they are plugged into a particular motherboard we'll be seeing clearer photos of next month, but that's just speculation.......

Yes unfortunately, Corsair has stated they act as a bimodal voltage transduction balancer. Each one is tuned for this particular application. They are being used much in the same way an oscillator is used in a clock circuit.

Well alrighty then.....

Looking at the corsair site I will want a 2x8gb kit. Are these dimms the same?
Vengeance® LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16 Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2A2666C16) - £ 127 98 GBP
Vengeance® LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2133MHz C13 Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2A2133C13) - £ 123 98 GBP
Vengeance® LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C14 Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2A2400C14) - £ 123 98 GBP

Meaning could I change the settings to get these values with any of the three sets and the only difference is the XMP profile.

Looking at the corsair site I will want a 2x8gb kit. Are these dimms the same?
Vengeance® LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16 Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2A2666C16) - £ 127 98 GBP
Vengeance® LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2133MHz C13 Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2A2133C13) - £ 123 98 GBP
Vengeance® LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C14 Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2A2400C14) - £ 123 98 GBP

Meaning could I change the settings to get these values with any of the three sets and the only difference is the XMP profile.

You could try, but there's no guarantee that they will run at that speed. Corsair bins their chips, so they could of been tested at a faster speed but failed, so they binned them for the slower ones.

Are those Dominator Airflow fans quiet? Noisy? Worth using? Got to admit they look very nice.

Back