Windows Search Doesn't Suck Anymore

HardOCP News

[H] News
Windows 10 search may be good, but claiming you'll "never need a Start Menu again" is pushing it. ;)

The first thing that everyone notices about Windows 10 is that the Start Menu is back. It’s a cool feature, but an irrelevant one. Thanks to the absurdly powerful new system-wide Search, you’re never going to need a Start Menu again.

While quite nice, it's still using Bing. Mysteriously it wasn't able to help me find a way to hide or categorize those annoying Modern App shortcuts cluttering up the Start Menu...

is this the same search engine that pulls up emails when I type mstsc into the search bar?

Windows sucks for everything but getting main stream support...which is why I use it. Not because of "powerful" features like search.

To be fair I never used the Start Menu in Windows 7 either. I always just typed out the program name to find it, or it was in my Steam library :)

I imagine these search features only work well with MS software?
If I install a 3rd party then type something like show me files I made with <3rd party software name here>
Would it work?

Windows Search sucks? Windows Search in Windows 7 works just fine. It always finds the documents I'm looking for. I use the Start menu to find programs.

I've been using the search bar to launch apps almost exclusively Since Windows 7.

I haven't used the start menu since early windows 7, so realistically I won't needed it in windows 10 either.

Also the search function has worked great in windows since Vista, I'm not sure what this article is about.

To be fair I never used the Start Menu in Windows 7 either. I always just typed out the program name to find it, or it was in my Steam library :)

I actually stopped back in Vista. But still yeah same thing. Can't figure why anyone actually uses the start menu (or screen) to find programs.

source article reads like a paid ad.

and upon further I investigation.. it is. that site is doing a whole paid-for Windows 10 astroturfing series.

I hardly ever use the search feature in windows 7. Maybe searching for an obscure file but that's about it. I'm very meticulous on how I categorize my stuff. For example unlike many who actually think everything is supposed to be dropped in C:\program files (x86), I hardly put anything there. Don't like everything in one drawer. Easy for me to find my stuff cause I know where it's at. Search is for lazy bastards who don't know how to organize.

For searching, the built in Windows search still often fails to find files with specific content when I search (i.e. search all files in the documents folder for a specific substring of a vendors name). Additionally, trying to do searches involving a partial filename (bcs*.xls) between a certain range of dates, while possible with "filename:xxx", etc. is a royal pain in the rump.

I find using something like the free version of Agent Ransack *much* more effective, easier to use, and faster.

And as far as not needing the Start Menu? Baloney.
I tend to create folders on my Start Menu -- with categories like "Utilities" and then under that "Network", "Stream Handling", "Video Encoding", "Security", etc.
The problem with using Search is that this implies I remember the NAME of a given program that I am trying to find that I use maybe twice a year -- but I can remember that it is a video transcoding tool and look in the appropriate sub-folder on the Start menu.

Because it's much faster to take your hand off the mouse, type in the command while trying to remember how it is spelled, look through the results returned, and then click on the item you want. :(

Much faster for me to just use the start button with a couple mouse clicks.

I actually stopped back in Vista. But still yeah same thing. Can't figure why anyone actually uses the start menu (or screen) to find programs.

And I can't figure out why anyone would want to go through the trouble of searching for a program when they can simply access it off the start menu with a couple mouse clicks.

But that has always been one of Windows strengths (at least until Windows 8), multiple ways to do something, so you can use the method that works best for you.

Windows sucks for everything but getting main stream support...which is why I use it. Not because of "powerful" features like search.

Pretty much this.
Though DX12 will be a welcome addition.

Windows key + typing is pretty efficient for locating programs, just like Win+R and typing or simply enter can run frequently used commands from the desktop.

The Win10 search box failure is that it's trying to solve a problem which doesn't need one, and it messes with the actual utility of the feature in the first place. You would think any company familiar with the default Unity search function would understand it's not a good idea.

Search is for shit that's not on the start menu...
An opinion driven by someone using a touch screen.
Can almost be sure this is a Win8 fan.
Cortana adjust my shorts please.

Ugh, I've probably used search on my win 8 pc all of 5 times. Don't need anything revolutionary and don't care. Just glad the start bar is back... Though honestly I probably won't use that much either, but it comes in handy for normal stuff I don't want an icon or quick launch shortcut for.

And I can't figure out why anyone would want to go through the trouble of searching for a program when they can simply access it off the start menu with a couple mouse clicks.

But that has always been one of Windows strengths (at least until Windows 8), multiple ways to do something, so you can use the method that works best for you.

I launch just about any program I want in 1 second, 2 tops. Takes longer with a mouse.

windows key + exc enter. excel opens. windows key + pu enter. putty is launched.

but yes multiple ways to do things, use the one that is best for you.

You would think any company familiar with the default Unity search function would understand it's not a good idea.

Unity ... Linux's equivalent of the Windows 8 Start Screen.

Fortunately, with Ubuntu I can uninstall it totally and switch over to KDE -- or just load Kubuntu to begin with.

Of course, you can get rid of the W8 Start Screen with ClassicShell too -- but I've seen far too many laptops (e.g. quite a few Lenovo's that don't have updated touchpad drivers for 8.1) on which it is impossible to disable edge swipes on the touchpad so it keeps popping up the Charms bar, etc.

Sucks, early on you could switch it to Google search and then they disabled that ability.

Hit Windows key, type event, hit enter, BAM! event viewer opens up quickly. Or sound, or mail, or updates, or printers or on and on and on...... Windows search works great in Windows 10 and worked pretty good in Windows 8.1. In Windows 7, it is good but not as good as 10.

I know, I know, it is not fashionable to like something from Microsoft. Well, tough luck!

Unity ... Linux's equivalent of the Windows 8 Start Screen.

Fortunately, with Ubuntu I can uninstall it totally and switch over to KDE -- or just load Kubuntu to begin with.

Of course, you can get rid of the W8 Start Screen with ClassicShell too -- but I've seen far too many laptops (e.g. quite a few Lenovo's that don't have updated touchpad drivers for 8.1) on which it is impossible to disable edge swipes on the touchpad so it keeps popping up the Charms bar, etc.

Unity is actually quite good and much better than the Linux equivalent "Start menu". Unity is quick and lets me find things by typing very fast. I can also pin things to the sidebar that I use most often. The Linux "Start Menu" is a cluster mess with no logic or real order.

Windows key + typing is pretty efficient for locating programs, just like Win+R and typing or simply enter can run frequently used commands from the desktop.

The Win10 search box failure is that it's trying to solve a problem which doesn't need one, and it messes with the actual utility of the feature in the first place. You would think any company familiar with the default Unity search function would understand it's not a good idea.

Win10 search box failure? How so, I just used it and it worked perfectly. Tried Win Key S, bing search showed up, typed event, event viewer listed and BAM!, event viewer opened up. Sorry but, I guess you and I have different definitions of failure.

I've been using the search bar to launch apps almost exclusively Since Windows 7.

me too, its just fast and easy. ( doesn't seem to work too great for finding anything but the drive that windows is installed on though...)

Unity is actually quite good and much better than the Linux equivalent "Start menu". Unity is quick and lets me find things by typing very fast. I can also pin things to the sidebar that I use most often. The Linux "Start Menu" is a cluster mess with no logic or real order.

To each their own. I can't stand Unity and prefer the KDE pretty much across the board.

That said, I primarily just find that Unity get's in my way more than KDE does because 99.9% of everything I do in Linux is straight from a terminal window anyway (which has also always been one of the reasons I prefer PTXdist over Yocto). All I really use the GUI for is just to have multiple terminal sessions open. I occasionally have to use Eclipse to compile another project that doesn't have separate make files for it, but other than that I typically use VIM for most of my editing.

Basically, I've always been of the opinion that if you need a GUI to use Linux, you probably shouldn't be using Linux. :p

Can we get rid of that search bar in the task bar? Just takes up space. If I want to find a file I open the folder it is in. If there are a lot of files/sub folders in there, I search within the folder. That way you lessen the chance of pulling up unnecessary or duplicated files (back ups, or same file names in different places). Unless I completely lost something, I don't do a full system search. I can't recall the last time I tried that..

Can we get rid of that search bar in the task bar? Just takes up space. If I want to find a file I open the folder it is in. If there are a lot of files/sub folders in there, I search within the folder. That way you lessen the chance of pulling up unnecessary or duplicated files (back ups, or same file names in different places). Unless I completely lost something, I don't do a full system search. I can't recall the last time I tried that..

Yes, you can change it to be the search bar, search icon, or just hide it completely.

Because it's much faster to take your hand off the mouse, type in the command while trying to remember how it is spelled, look through the results returned, and then click on the item you want. :(

Much faster for me to just use the start button with a couple mouse clicks.

Trying to remember obscure, rarely used programs might be slower in that regard, but in general if there's a GUI way of doing something and a CLI way of doing something, the CLI is always going to be faster if you know the commands.Hitting the Win key and typing the first few letters of a program name beats the heck out of manually searching for it. I still have problems finding "Programs and Features" on the control panel and I have been using Win 7 since RTM, still always trying to find "Add/Remove Programs"...

To each their own. I can't stand Unity and prefer the KDE pretty much across the board.

That said, I primarily just find that Unity get's in my way more than KDE does because 99.9% of everything I do in Linux is straight from a terminal window anyway (which has also always been one of the reasons I prefer PTXdist over Yocto). All I really use the GUI for is just to have multiple terminal sessions open. I occasionally have to use Eclipse to compile another project that doesn't have separate make files for it, but other than that I typically use VIM for most of my editing.

Basically, I've always been of the opinion that if you need a GUI to use Linux, you probably shouldn't be using Linux. :p

Just out of curiosity then, how come you are not using the i3 Window Manager instead? It is extremely minimal and customizable for exactly what you are doing?

Just wondering how many of the people in this thread stating they stopped using the start button/menu in version "X" and used windows search to launch things also bitched to high heaven about the start button/menu being removed in windows 8

Is this the same search that won't find files that contain the term i enter in the search box?

... great

Just wondering how many of the people in this thread stating they stopped using the start button/menu in version "X" and used windows search to launch things also bitched to high heaven about the start button/menu being removed in windows 8

I have Windows 8 on 3 machines currently and never cared. I only use the start menu for a very select few programs though, mostly management.

Just out of curiosity then, how come you are not using the i3 Window Manager instead? It is extremely minimal and customizable for exactly what you are doing?

Because, while i3 is a neat concept, I really just didn't like the tiling all that well.
It's solely a personal preference/aesthetics things.

Typically, I'll have 5 or 6 terminal windows open and probably have 4 or 5 tabs per terminal window and just switch back and forth between them using the keyboard, while typically keeping the one I'm working on nearly maximized.

One of the main reasons I use KDE though is that I can easily tweak it to be fairly similar to Windows so that most of the time I don't actually have to think which OS I happen to be in at the time when clicking on something.

Hitting the Win key and typing the first few letters of a program name beats the heck out of manually searching for it.

Of course this assumes you have a keyboard that has a Windows key on it....

They can have my 1991 vintage Philips (NMB OEM) mechanical keyswitch keyboard when they pry it out of my hands!

I've been using it for 24 years, doing coding and programming and tons of typing daily and it still hasn't worn out and the letters haven't even worn off the keycaps. Every key still works, no keys stick, and I love the layout and "clicky" feel and sound of it (silent it ain't).

It's an AT style DIN-5 connector on a PS/2 adapter cable to a IoGear PS/2-USB adapter -- I purchased two more of them off Ebay NIB about two years ago just in case mine finally dies (and I'm now using one of them at work, so I don't have to remember two different keyboard layouts between home and there).

Back