PC Rise Of The Tomb Raider Plans

HardOCP News

[H] News
Blue's has all the news and information on the PC version of Rise of the Tomb Raider. It looks like the game is a timed Xbox exclusive with the Steam / Windows 10 version coming out early next year. PS4 owners have to wait until holiday 2016.

Square Enix today announced its latest title in the critically acclaimed and award-winning Tomb Raider® series, Rise of the Tomb Raider ®, will be available for Windows 10 and Steam in early 2016. The game will be a console exclusive to Xbox One and Xbox 360 for one year after its initial launch, coming to PlayStation® 4 (PS4) in Holiday 2016. Renowned developer Crystal Dynamics, a Square Enix studio, is leading development in the latest entry in the iconic series for additional platforms.

No way it'll be limited to Windows 10. Sounds like part of their arrangement with MS is they have to say "Windows 10"

No way it'll be limited to Windows 10. Sounds like part of their arrangement with MS is they have to say "Windows 10"

While you're at it, what does available for Steam mean? I'm guessing these are references to app stores, not operating systems. So it will be available through the Windows Store for Windows 10 (it's possible to distribute Win32 apps via the Windows Store for Windows 10 x86) and Steam for all other supported Windows PCs.

The statement isn't clear regardless.

You know what would be smart? Buy the digital version on either Windows 10 store or Xbox Store, and get the other version free. It would be a smart way for Xbowners to transition over to PC gaming while staying under MS's umbrella.

Also, WTF with the PS4 version?!?!? I'll pick it up on Steam, but I feel for my PS4 only friends.

With so little distractions for this developer, they will have no excuse if the XBox and PC versions are not solid at release.

Timed exclusive has got to be the way to do it. It's win-win all round: everyone gets the game eventually, maximising sales; one platform pays to get it first, maximising pre-release income.

Wow, PS4 a year later...no one will give a fuck by then. I'll laugh heartily if they try to release the PS4 version for full price when the other versions are $10 or less.

Wow, PS4 a year later...no one will give a fuck by then. I'll laugh heartily if they try to release the PS4 version for full price when the other versions are $10 or less.

While I understand the sentiment it never really seems to work out that way. Really good games (think GTAV as an example) always seem to get premium pricing for other platforms even when they release them years later. I'm sure the PS4 version will have "new and improved" something when the release it for PS4.

Timed exclusive has got to be the way to do it. It's win-win all round: everyone gets the game eventually, maximising sales; one platform pays to get it first, maximising pre-release income.

It's NOT the way to do it. There is only one reason to stagger the release date, and it's greed, pure and simple. MS is paying the devs to NOT release a game that they could sell full price to all consumers. Instead, they are selling to only one segment of the market. By the time it comes out for PC, and eventually PS4, interest will be down, and that means lost sales.

This kind of anti consumer bullshit needs to stop. It's almost as bad as the pre-ordering and first day DLC issues. It's crap, and it needs to stop.

Dear devs: Just make the fucking game and sell it. These exclusives just to try to sell a platform suck. Thank you. :mad:

Back