0-60 in 2.8 Seconds In Tesla's "Ludicrous Mode'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Holy crap, that is fast! :eek:

Today Tesla announced a new "Ludicrous Mode" for its top-of-the-line Model S P85. The new mode reduces the 0-60 MPH time to 2.8 seconds with a quarter mile time of 10.9 seconds. The front engine now has 259 hp while the rear engine is pushing 503 hp. Wow! The new electronics pack that makes Ludicrous Mode possible for the Model S will cost new owners an additional $10,000.

Super awesome car -- if my house was paid off and I had an extra 100K laying around I'd buy one for sure.

If they can make a 5000lb car (actually 4936lbs) do this... imagine what they will be able to do with future battery tech that increases range and reduces weight. Thinking what the current motors can do if you suddenly dropped 1000lbs worth of weight!

Holy crap, that is fast! :eek:

Today Tesla announced a new "Ludicrous Mode" for its top-of-the-line Model S P85. The new mode reduces the 0-60 MPH time to 2.8 seconds with a quarter mile time of 10.9 seconds. The front engine now has 259 hp while the rear engine is pushing 503 hp. Wow! The new electronics pack that makes Ludicrous Mode possible for the Model S will cost new owners an additional $10,000.

Musk is my hero! I guess if you can afford a Tesla, you can afford an extra $10K to get the Ludicrous Mode. Those horsepower numbers are stunning! I can't believe an electric car can do that. Wow.
I think the Tesla just got added to my "things to buy when I'm ridiculously rich list." But at the rate I'm saving, that will be a long, long, long time from now.

PS. I hope they figure out why the spacex rocket blew up. I'd like to see them launch again soon and this time land the puppy. Maybe they need to add some new modes to the Falcon too.

I'm no hippie but I want this car. The tech wizardry in it is just awesome. I'm a sucker for digital huds.

Makes me wonder how fast it could be if they went back to making sports cars.:eek:

Gotta remember sports cars are generally made for handling, and this thing will not handle very well on a track at 5000lbs. It's more useful for most people who just drive on regular roads, but it'll never touch a sports car on a track.

I guess light speed mode was too slow? :)

spaceballs-ludicrous-speed-o.gif

A couple ludicrous acceleration later the battery packs overheat and you walk home.

Musk is my hero! I guess if you can afford a Tesla, you can afford an extra $10K to get the Ludicrous Mode. Those horsepower numbers are stunning! I can't believe an electric car can do that. Wow.

It's always been known that electric cars can lay down the acceleration (instant torque!), it's weight and range problem that's been the issue. I'm wondering what the exotic car manufactures are gonna bring to the game when they start cranking out electrics.

It's always been known that electric cars can lay down the acceleration (instant torque!), it's weight and range problem that's been the issue. I'm wondering what the exotic car manufactures are gonna bring to the game when they start cranking out electrics.
The hybrids seem to be the best of both worlds at this time, electric motors allowing for better torque at low RPMs while the ICE engine can be tuned for high RPM performance, the electric motoros can also be used for torque vectoring and gasoline's energy density means that a light low capacity battery can be carried.

Wish I had 150k to blow on a neat toy like this. SIGHS. But hey a Maclaren goes for a million, right? So this is really a "bargain" if approached from that angle.

Rather have a Hellcat Charger or Challenger...technically both for the price of the Tesla.

I think the Tesla just got added to my "things to buy when I'm ridiculously rich list." But at the rate I'm saving, that will be a long, long, long time from now.

PS. I hope they figure out why the spacex rocket blew up. I'd like to see them launch again soon and this time land the puppy. Maybe they need to add some new modes to the Falcon too.

Electric cars are generally fast accelerating because of how electric motors can go full torque real quick. They're just tuned slower to get more efficiency. Hence why there's a mode for dicking around and a mode for driving.

Rather have a Hellcat Charger or Challenger...technically both for the price of the Tesla.

That is a really tough call. They all have their strengths. It is a good thing I don't have that kind of disposable income to worry about these sorts of things. First world problems...

Pfft. All tech, no substance. I'd rather spend just $55k on a GT350.

Don't know what cars will do about batteries but in homes I heard a great idea from Bill Nye. Make a giant piston and fill it with water with a electric pump. Piston doesn't have to be made of anything special, could be nothing but rock. At night when there's no solar power the pump becomes a turbine and as the piston drops the water generates power. Best battery idea I've heard.

How many hot laps can it do in this mode before the batteries are dead?
I think quickly draining the batteries is less of a problem than the car decreasing performance to keep the motors and batteries from overheating.

Gotta remember sports cars are generally made for handling, and this thing will not handle very well on a track at 5000lbs. It's more useful for most people who just drive on regular roads, but it'll never touch a sports car on a track.

The Dodge Challenger is over 5,000 lbs. Last I checked that's a sports car.

The Dodge Challenger is over 5,000 lbs. Last I checked that's a sports car.

Nah, its a muscle car. Not the same thing.

Sports cars are smaller, lighter, lower and handle like a dream.

Muscle cars have big engines, but also way a bloody ton and become squirrely on the road in a hurry.

Zarathustra[H];1041738414 said:
Nah, its a muscle car. Not the same thing.

Sports cars are smaller, lighter, lower and handle like a dream.
You're talking about riced-out Civics... aren't you. :rolleyes:

Muscle cars have big engines, but also way a bloody ton and become squirrely on the road in a hurry.
I know someone that drives a Challenger with the stock V6 in it. He's never drifted it once, nor lost control taking a tight turn a bit faster than your supposed to. He's not afraid to take it on the highway in snow and sleet, and has watched front-wheel cars spin out in the same conditions where his big heavy rear-wheel car had no trouble at all... and where those riced-out civics don't even get out of the driveway, let alone drive 55+ on packed snow. He swears its the most stable and controllable car he's driven... but "muscle" cars are supposed to be squirrely on the road and rear-wheel drive is supposed to be horrible in the snow. Well... either he has godlike driving skills, owns a magic car, or the conventional wisdom is completely wrong. *shrug*

You're talking about riced-out Civics... aren't you. :rolleyes:

I know someone that drives a Challenger with the stock V6 in it. He's never drifted it once, nor lost control taking a tight turn a bit faster than your supposed to. He's not afraid to take it on the highway in snow and sleet, and has watched front-wheel cars spin out in the same conditions where his big heavy rear-wheel car had no trouble at all... and where those riced-out civics don't even get out of the driveway, let alone drive 55+ on packed snow. He swears its the most stable and controllable car he's driven... but "muscle" cars are supposed to be squirrely on the road and rear-wheel drive is supposed to be horrible in the snow. Well... either he has godlike driving skills, owns a magic car, or the conventional wisdom is completely wrong. *shrug*

He just knows how to not be retarded when he drives. That's the problem most people drove like shut and blame the car.

Not sure why this is making news.People should know being electrically powered provides an instant burst of energy to accelerate vs chemical reaction from gasoline cars.

That is why most supercars are starting to push hybrid models. They don't give a shit about the environment, it's because being part electric allows for the electric engine to kick in during gear shifts and accelerations to reduce time.

I know this. When I said how fast "it" could be, I was referring to how fast the 0-60 time could be.

Just a thought...
If you switch the Tesla into Ludicrous Speed, do all the lights start shining plaid in color?

Super awesome car -- if my house was paid off and I had an extra 100K laying around I'd buy one for sure.

If they can make a 5000lb car (actually 4936lbs) do this... imagine what they will be able to do with future battery tech that increases range and reduces weight. Thinking what the current motors can do if you suddenly dropped 1000lbs worth of weight!

The Tesla cars supposedly handle amazingly well, they stick to the road like glue, very good control, thanks to that 5000lb (mostly batteries in bottom center positioning) making for impressive center of gravity.

Weight does not directly translate into bad handling, the distribution is what determines how that affects the car. This is why the upcoming Tesla-X SUV with dual motor AWD is expected to be an excellent performer, the center of gravity will probably make it the safest SUV in terms of rollover resistance, and the 0-60 in around 3 seconds can't hurt either for agility.

Not yet. For now? yes. But it's coming eventually.

Back