Intel Delays Cannonlake Chips

HardOCP News

[H] News
During Intel's latest earnings call, CEO Brian Krzanich announced that Intel is delaying its upcoming Cannonlake chips for six months.

To address the lack of chips in the pipeline, Intel said that it's going to release new "Kaby Lake" codenamed 14-nanometer chips based on the previous-gen Skylake architecture. Krzanich said that "we expect that this addition to the roadmap will deliver new features and improved performance, and pave the way for a smooth transition to 10-nanometer." Nevertheless, he admitted that Intel is now on a "tick-tock-tick" cycle rather than a "tick-tock" as before.

Is there any sign of Broadwell at retail anywhere yet? If they are having problems producing a sufficient number of viable chips maybe AMD will finally have a chance to catch up a bit...

AMD will finally have a chance to catch up a bit...

In my opinion if Intel can not produce 14nm high performance chips does that mean whomever fabs AMD's zen can?

Is there any sign of Broadwell at retail anywhere yet? If they are having problems producing a sufficient number of viable chips maybe AMD will finally have a chance to catch up a bit...

Or intel is stepping away resources from pushing forward their newest chip line, thanks to beating their earnings, lack of x86 CPU competition, and a need to focus on other product divisions to stay competitive in those areas

AMD is not catching up

"Intel is now on a "tick-tock-tick" cycle rather than a "tick-tock" as before"

What the hell does this mean?

AMD is so woefully behind Intel they are hardly worth speaking of. AMD is making hardware Intel had already surpassed in performance in 2010 and 2011. Consider the Core i7 990x released in Q1 2011 that still face stomps the best AMD can come up with.

In my opinion if Intel can not produce 14nm high performance chips does that mean whomever fabs AMD's zen can?

Is Zen going to be at 14nm? I thought they had picked some other number. For some reason 16nm got stuck in my memory. Maybe it was a typo in the article I had read about it.

That doesn't make any sense to me, either. Kaby Lake, like Devil's Canyon, is neither a "Tick" nor a "Tock" in Intel model.

Well, I am not upgrading until Zen comes out anyways so I can wait. Besides, the 5820K is the best, most cost effective purchase at this time for a long term purchase.

I read the 'tick-tock-tick' as it being consecutive. So: tick-tock-tick-tick-tock-tick.....

"We aren't facing any real competition right now so we have no proper incentive to release the new products we've invented, let's keep charging >$200 for I5-4690K CPUs until there's a reason not to."

ITT I learn how easy it is to improve cutting edge uarch optimizations and manufacturing processes. :p

"We aren't facing any real competition right now so we have no proper incentive to release the new products we've invented, let's keep charging >$200 for I5-4690K CPUs until there's a reason not to."

Exactly what I thought. Someone at AMD needs to hire a genius to give Intel competition. Bring back the Athlon XP days!

It means it is a great way for Intel to make more money since there is no rush to release their latest and greatest products due to lack of competition.

Well thats disappointing. I was going to finally upgrade my Q6600 with a canonlake based system to play Fallout 4

It means it is a great way for Intel to make more money since there is no rush to release their latest and greatest products due to lack of competition.

Yea I can assure you this is not happening.
This shit is hard and Intel is throwing a ton of money and resources at making it happen. The amount of pressure that folks are under since missing these ship dates is intense.

Disclaimer ** I do work for intel **

Yea I can assure you this is not happening.
This shit is hard and Intel is throwing a ton of money and resources at making it happen. The amount of pressure that folks are under since missing these ship dates is intense.

Disclaimer ** I do work for intel **

I see.

Back