Uber Settles Lawsuit Over Fatal Crash

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this report, Uber has settled with the family of the six year old girl that was killed two years ago by one of its drivers.

Sofia Liu was walking in a crosswalk with her family on New Year's Eve when she was allegedly struck and killed by Syed Muzzafar, an Uber driver at the time of the crash. In the wake of the crash, Muzzafar was charged with vehicular manslaughter and barred from working for the ride-hailing service.

I would assume that there must be some clause included in the terms of the settlement that Uber does not actually admit liability. This is a potential point for debate with our increasing reliance on sub-contractors as a society. The fact that he was logged into the app was probably what opened the possibility for Uber's liability in the first place.

Let's all be happy that she wasn't raped and robbed by the driver as well.....

I would assume that there must be some clause included in the terms of the settlement that Uber does not actually admit liability. This is a potential point for debate with our increasing reliance on sub-contractors as a society. The fact that he was logged into the app was probably what opened the possibility for Uber's liability in the first place.

Such is the case with any settlement that any company makes.

I don't mind the extra scrutiny after their recent policies, but I have a hard time liking any sort of propaganda. FUD in every news article on the internet. Too much money in yellow press.

I don't mind the extra scrutiny after their recent policies, but I have a hard time liking any sort of propaganda. FUD in every news article on the internet. Too much money in yellow press.
lol, so you only want to read news you agree with? That's got to be an interesting way to live.

lol, so you only want to read news you agree with? That's got to be an interesting way to live.

Not necessarily. What I am trying to say is facebook, youtube, and the like keep suggesting stuff I originially search for. There is no more random. Fact checking opinion pieces is becoming more difficult, there are no more discussions from both sides without links being thrown left and right. Skeletons are kept in the closet until needed, when we really ought to focus on preventing anyone from putting bodies in their closet if that makes any sense. Maybe this is why government is so inefficient. Law makers have to make emotional responses to events because that is what the public wants. This is moving off topic from OP, but it still bothers me.

Always viewed this more like a Pizza delivery guy type job, except you are the pizza if you need a cheap taxi service.

Back