Uber Files Motion To Limit Potential Class Action Suit

HardOCP News

[H] News
Anyone want to guess the outcome of this motion? With the way things have been going lately for Uber, I'm going to say the courts will rule against them.

The ride-hailing company is being sued by three former drivers who claim they should've been classified as employees rather than independent contractors. The drivers' lawyer, Shannon Liss-Riordan, has been seeking class action status for this suit on behalf of 160,000 drivers. But Uber filed a 52-page motion on Thursday seeking to limit the case to just the three drivers. The company said these drivers don't adequately represent most Uber drivers.

So the other 159,997 drivers were all listed as employees?

WTF is this? How on earth can one dictate to a company if they're an employee or independent contract or not? Wouldn't such a thing be in the clause they signed when they signed up for it?

WTF is this? How on earth can one dictate to a company if they're an employee or independent contract or not? Wouldn't such a thing be in the clause they signed when they signed up for it?
Government write the laws. There are well-defined criteria to determine whether a worker is an independent contractor or employee. Just because the worker signs a contract with a company stating that they are an IC doesn't mean anything if they end up working in the manner of an employee.

Government write the laws. There are well-defined criteria to determine whether a worker is an independent contractor or employee. Just because the worker signs a contract with a company stating that they are an IC doesn't mean anything if they end up working in the manner of an employee.

I get that... but it seems to be contracted work to me...

A person who contracts to do work for another person according to his or her own processes and methods; the contractor is not subject to another's control except for what is specified in a mutually binding agreement for a specific job.
courtesy of http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Independent+Contractor

The ride-hailing company is being sued by three former drivers who claim they should've been classified as employees rather than independent contractors. The drivers' lawyer, Shannon Liss-Riordan, has been seeking class action status for this suit on behalf of 160,000 drivers.
Did 160,000 drivers all agree to this? I don't get how class actions work in that they can simply assume all the other people named in the suit agree with what their lawyer says. Bottom line this is a lawyer who wants to get paid.

Sure but Uber:

-determines the kind of tools that its "contractors" can use (the vehicles that can be used)
-sets the rate
-Uber is in the business of transportation and drivers are a critical part of transportation.

All these are strong factors that point to employees over contractors.

I see the rates thing, but Uber can be called a middleman instead. That is what they do, if you consider the drivers contractors, not farfetched at all. And they do limit the tools, but it isn't that limiting. I know some people who does Uber, and one of his car is..... not great, while another is an UberX.

Whenever something good happens for people--as in they start earning money instead of begging on the street corner--you can trust that a lawyer, somewhere, will try and screw that up just to keep himself from starving. If Uber has to take on these three people as employees, first thing I'd do is fire them...:D

But this isn't just about lawyers, although that is the medium through which bad, counter-productive things happen for consumers...it's also about established businesses that have rigged the system to protect their jobs under the guise of "licensing"...because Lord Help Us If Anyone Dares to Compete...! Basically, Uber operates in defiance of all the protective legislation passed by certain businesses that have greased the right hands politically.

The Employee classification was set out by the federal government precisely to prevent businesses from exploiting their workers exactly as Uber is doing. They're not the first company to try to I-9 their W-2 employees, but they're probably the most highly valued and doing so with the highest ratio of IC's to Employees.

Other big corporations know: You independently contract smaller local vendors as cut-outs and those companies then hire a bunch of I-9'ers, but since they're so small it's not worth a lawyer's time to put together the class action case.

Noobs.

Back