NVIDIA HairWorks 1.1 Demonstration Video

Better hair physics isn't worth the price premium it carries in resources. Innovation is cool and all, but come on. :rolleyes:

Nice. I'd like to see it on a larger scale. Put it in game with other things going on. Put this along side other physics and particles in the background with smoke, wind, etc. and it would help make it more immersive. By itself it's cool. Put it in with everything else and you might not notice it, but it'll make the whole scene more believable.

I'd rather see better smoke/fog/fire effects than hair - just my two cents.

Better details in character related visuals are great, but I find my self staring more at scenery in games than characters. I'll check out water/lava/fire/foliage/environmental things, geometry detail, etc. long before I check out characters. Every little bit helps, but I personally would prioritize other things first.

Textures and world polygon detail need to evolve big time. I"m still waiting for tessellation to make the game environment (not individual characters) look better.

I've long since accepted that making games pretty has become a huge priority, but I do miss the push for better AI. I would be so happy if we abandoned making games prettier, and put time and money into making the NPCs and their interactions realistic.

Right now, our best AI is just to swarm the player with little regard for their own safety or life, what was the last game in which you could actually scare off the enemy by murdering all their friends? (Witcher 3 is the most recent retardation here, when one low level thug is all that remains and you just butchered the rest, why is he still fighting?)

geometry and textures have seen a somewhat evolutionary increase. nothing too drastic.

lots and lots of HBM could bring about much nicer textures, unless were talking 12GB+ via HBM2, its not going to be amazingly drastic.

geometry? still sucks. steadily getting better, but still sucks.

geometry, textures, and better volumetric effects are what i want.

cool hair, though.

Better details in character related visuals are great, but I find my self staring more at scenery in games than characters. I'll check out water/lava/fire/foliage/environmental things, geometry detail, etc. long before I check out characters. Every little bit helps, but I personally would prioritize other things first.

The main issue I have is that I have yet to see good use of HairWorks. Certainly not The Witcher 3. I honestly found that too fake.

Really wish games would come with the option to enable this ONLY during cut-scenes, instead of all-or-nothing.

Show it of when it matters

I've long since accepted that making games pretty has become a huge priority, but I do miss the push for better AI. I would be so happy if we abandoned making games prettier, and put time and money into making the NPCs and their interactions realistic.

Right now, our best AI is just to swarm the player with little regard for their own safety or life, what was the last game in which you could actually scare off the enemy by murdering all their friends? (Witcher 3 is the most recent retardation here, when one low level thug is all that remains and you just butchered the rest, why is he still fighting?)

It's because graphics and the game world are static. If you had a quality interactive environment, the game would probably look at minimum a decade old. And like AI, the sheer complexity to get something like that programmed...

There's a reason why AI typically requires a PhD. As just a dumb programmer though, I could probably write a chess AI which crushes you. I can definitely write a chess AI which loses to you. How would you write one which can adapt to be just right? Honestly, you could probably scrap the word AI. It's just a chess opponent with dumb logic.

Not to mention that if you use the crossbow you can keep a whole swarm of enemies at bay. No way to win at your level.. just pull out the crossbow and start shooting. The enemies will pretty much stay at a distance that is plenty close for you to kill them with the crossbow, but they are way too far away to attack unless they are wielding a bow.

The main issue I have is that I have yet to see good use of HairWorks. Certainly not The Witcher 3. I honestly found that too fake.

Witcher 3 hairworks is beyond retarded. I ended turning that trash off even through it runs fine on my setup. The movement is super fake and just jumps all over the place. Then again, the foliage does that as well.

Just watched the video. Still super unrealistic. Hair falls back into perfect position as well as the strands not bending at all. Looks more like large clumps just hinged on the scalp.

still uses the DX11 Tessellation standard even though a certain camp complains about it.
It's really "strange" how the Fury X does much better than its predecessor with HW, maybe due to improving tessellation performance!

The only problem with HW to me is limitations of hardware. 64x is a good compromise for quality/performance up to 1440p, but 128x and 256x would be better in some situations as the resolution gets higher. That's likely to happen as 4k and hair/fur are used more.

It's because graphics and the game world are static. If you had a quality interactive environment, the game would probably look at minimum a decade old. And like AI, the sheer complexity to get something like that programmed...

There's a reason why AI typically requires a PhD. As just a dumb programmer though, I could probably write a chess AI which crushes you. I can definitely write a chess AI which loses to you. How would you write one which can adapt to be just right? Honestly, you could probably scrap the word AI. It's just a chess opponent with dumb logic.

While it would be amazing to have an actual AI, you know what I mean.

It would not be as hard to develop a logic engine (AI as its simpler) that can simulate reactions, we used to work towards that, hell Halo 1-3 had better NPC interactions that most modern titles. Enemies would react to your actions, panic, and generally be more active. These days its all about catering to the Maxim reading, koors lite drinking, COD playing mouth breathers. Put multiplayer in it so you have even less reason to develop an AI.

Now in games that run 14fps on a 980 Ti. About 5fps on Fury X. PC explodes on anything less.

latest

I'd rather see better smoke/fog/fire effects than hair - just my two cents.

As would I. But, if they can do it with minimal performance loss as part of the whole picture? Sure. If it takes a big performance hit and/or has to turn down other settings? No thanks. The more realistic things are, no matter how trivial on screen, the more immersive it gets. I've just stopped and watched the environment in some games. Watched bugs fly by or whatever. Just to check it out.

I was all like "that lady has some crazy hair". Then it rotated. DUDE. Get a haircut, you damn hippie! If you're not in a rock band (real, not on a console!) that is not acceptable.

Looking forward to HairCutFX 1.2

No, not perfect, but looks good for what it is: something that doesn't require a huge render farm to pump out.

I was all like "that lady has some crazy hair". Then it rotated. DUDE. Get a haircut, you damn hippie! If you're not in a rock band (real, not on a console!) that is not acceptable.

Looking forward to HairCutFX 1.2

Well now, THAT would be interesting. Realistic cutting mechanics with straight and thinning shear physics, rate of fall depending on atmospheric conditions, gravity, size of cut piece. :p

Right now, our best AI is just to swarm the player with little regard for their own safety or life, what was the last game in which you could actually scare off the enemy by murdering all their friends?
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. Orcs start backing up and freak out when you behead a few of their buddies. String 4 or 5 in a row and a massive crowd turns tail to run. Kill a captain/warchief and they all run.

Just from the shoulders it looked like a dude. I was waiting for a headbanging demo and left very disappointed.

I look forward to it being applied to the main character only instead of all NPC's, and then having to turn it off anyway to recover 30fps.

Prince Charming from Shrek. Do the hair shake to get chicks attention. Flowing locks of hair.

geometry and textures have seen a somewhat evolutionary increase. nothing too drastic.

lots and lots of HBM could bring about much nicer textures, unless were talking 12GB+ via HBM2, its not going to be amazingly drastic.

geometry? still sucks. steadily getting better, but still sucks.

geometry, textures, and better volumetric effects are what i want.

cool hair, though.

Tell me, what kind of advancements need to be done to have these types of effects occur in games in real time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwkYaxkDO3c

What needs the most improvements?

geometry? textures? volumetric effects? lighting? more shaders and compute performance?

Meh -- I'm more interested in games that are fun and aren't some shower rape of a DLC fest.

Call me when game devs can put a helmet on a character and actually keep the hair (deforming the hair under the helmet) rather than just swapping out the hair with the helmet.

You stare at enemies and npcs you stare out characters.

Vegetation needs a massive overhaul. The whole constant swaying in the breeze like there's a hurricane needs to go away. It's a real realism killer. Get some intelligence on some of the movement too. Size/type should affect how much it moves etc.

Vegetation needs a massive overhaul. The whole constant swaying in the breeze like there's a hurricane needs to go away. It's a real realism killer. Get some intelligence on some of the movement too. Size/type should affect how much it moves etc.

I still prefer this over static vegetation of 5 years ago.

Good hairworks demo for sure. Very lifelike results and a step forward for realism.

The movement of the hair looks pretty darn good, but the way it "lays" is just odd, could be because of the person who created the demo but the curl at the end of the strands looks strange to me. But like I said movement is very good, now weather this is hugely important from a game play perspective is a whole other story. Not even taking into the account of that performance penalty the use of the hair creates.

I hope they have an option to choose your avatar's hair in any game using this. I'd rather have my avatar have Vin Diesel's hair for the better performance. Hair rendering is not very important to me.

Back