Just discovered Skyrim, and wow AWESOME

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Skyrim :eek: :cool:

I know I am way late to this game; Skyrim, which released several years ago already. I definitely knew of the game, of course, I even gave it as gifts to my brothers who played it and raved about it and loved it.

But two things kept me away so long, #1 being Oblivion, I played that, and thought it was ok, but sometimes found it so large, and would get lost and confused where and what to do exactly. I could never get into Oblivion like many others did. Before that, I did play Daggerfall back in the day and LOVED it, as well as the very first Elder Scrolls game, Arena, and also liked that a lot too, like 20 years ago. other RPG's I used to play and liked, were the old Baldurs Gate series, and IceWind Dale stuff. And then Action stuff like Diablo and WoW of course.

But lately just been burned out on gaming in general, nothing new the past few years that interested me, everything felt the same old same old, just prettier graphics. I haven't gamed at all really for like 2 years now. I was a big WoW player for 9 years, but I am done with WoW, totally done with that game. Not going back anytime soon.

Ok so I buy Skyrim on the Steam sale for $19, and install it. Get into it for the first hour, thinking, ok, this game isn't bad but not great either, just whatever. Second hour into it, ok this game is pretty cool I guess. Third hour into it, Wow this game is really fucking good.

I then downloaded the 4k texture packs, and the better lighting and better weather effects packs. Install those, running my resolution at 2560 x 1600, all graphics maxed out = :eek: :D Some of the forest scenes near flowing rivers, look real life. My wife walked by when I was playing at that part, she thought it was YouTube video of Colorado backpacking :)

Skyrim is still the only Elder Scrolls game I haven't finished; for some reason it keeps crashing to the desktop and haven't been able to solve it. Glad you're getting a kick out of it though!

I guess I was bitten and have Vampirism disease now :rolleyes:

This is fucking annoying as hell now, because I couldn't figure out why all of a sudden each town or castle area I go to lately, I get chased down by a half dozen armed guards, and get my butt kicked right away.

One site said to go to this "M" named town and get a quest for the cure,. I went there last night, and get mobbed and attacked just walking near that town.

What, you don't have 3,000 saves yet that you can go back to? :D

I believe you need to feed. Sneak into some NPCs house and drink while they sleep. More days you go without feeding, the more monstrous you look and people will attack on site. Once you look normal enough I believe you can look for the cure no problems.

Once you finishes that game, try Fallout 3 next!

Glad you're liking it... I was thinking similar to you.... Oblivion being the only other TES game I've played beside a very very brief start of the third game. I've been pretty tempted to reinstall it. Played Magick Heavy Warrior last time... but cloak and dagger sounded OP as shit, that I really wanted to try it.

Also.... I think a lot of people have that burned out feeling... glad there are occasional games that I can think of to play and occasional new games like Witcher 3 to alleviate the boredom... sacrificing the time of day.

How's Witcher 3 ? Is that pretty much a third person Skyrim type game ?

Like similar settings, story, and quests ?

Skyrim is all Hype it tried to deliver big just fell pretty short I remember when the net was stoked about it. I just found it boring and never returned after about 6-7 hours...
I didn't like the graphics to be honest just ugly stuff...

Sort of, it's a fantasy setting so you still get swords, spells, quests and monsters. The game plays very differently though and is a much higher skill level than Skyrim.

The best part of Skyrim has always been the modding, you can literally turn Skyrim in an almost completely different game with all the modding you can do. Becareful though, once you jump into the rabbit hole of modding you may never come back.

It's a great game and especially with some mods. Hard to beat for exploring and just getting into things. Awesome ecosystem.

Skyrim is all Hype it tried to deliver big just fell pretty short I remember when the net was stoked about it. I just found it boring and never returned after about 6-7 hours...
I didn't like the graphics to be honest just ugly stuff...

Graphics are strange in this game. I downloaded the 4k high quality textures, and better weather, and with those on, certain areas, like the Autumn looking forests with rivers look jaw dropping realistic, and overall awesome :eek:

But other areas, can look lame and poor quality.

And the draw distance is killing me, far away areas, look flat an plain, and then as you walk closer they slowly start building up with greater detail, and then move closer again, and they get better. I hate that.

The caves and caverns looks best so far, with the high res textures, the rocks and cobblestones and pebbles, etc... look really good in the cave areas.

Skyrim is an amazing game. Think my Steam account says I've spent over 500 hours in the game, between my 2-3 play-through's and a couple other friends playing on it.

There are a few really odd aspects to it, like the fact that there's no branching in your choices - you can pretty much do everything and be everyone at the same time. But overall I still think it's a great game and a lot of fun to play.

Also, OP, how did you manage to become a Vampire within just a couple hours of starting the game?? lol - talk about some rotten luck. I thought for some reason you could just go to a shrine to get cured from all diseases, but I may be remembering that wrong. In any case, good luck with your new un-life, and have fun with the rest of the game!

I believe you have to go to some guy and have him perform a ritual (requires a full Black Soul Gem I think?) to cure vampirism. Can't just get rid of it like a normal disease.

I like it more than Skyrim and I love Skyrim. Witcher games are more story driven then exploration driven. Witcher 3 does a phenomenal job with side quests making them fell a lot less of a chore and flow more naturally.

Skyrim does have much more as far as classes go. In Witcher you’re stuck as a Witcher so no sneaky thieves or Ranger types. Yet there is a pretty deep skill tree to level up in Witcher still.

Setting is much darker, Game of Thrones-ish almost.

I think dark souls 1 and 2 leaves all games mentioned in the dust.

Yeah I do have like 60 saves already. Guess I need to go back to one pre Vampire disease ?
You can continue playing as a vampire, if you want. It adds another layer of depth and challenge to the game. Or you can work on curing it. The easy way out is just to load a previous save.

The joke was people keep all the saves while playing a TES. I think the first time I completed Oblivion I managed to keep it under 500 ;).

Graphics are strange in this game. I downloaded the 4k high quality textures, and better weather, and with those on, certain areas, like the Autumn looking forests with rivers look jaw dropping realistic, and overall awesome :eek:

But other areas, can look lame and poor quality.

And the draw distance is killing me, far away areas, look flat an plain, and then as you walk closer they slowly start building up with greater detail, and then move closer again, and they get better. I hate that.

The caves and caverns looks best so far, with the high res textures, the rocks and cobblestones and pebbles, etc... look really good in the cave areas.
There are mods to improve on the 4k textures. Hell there is a mod to make the grass extremely luscious.... kills your performance though. I only really get the graphics mods... I stay away from the other stuff because it just seems to be "off" from the game. But do get SkyUI, it helps immensely if you are playing PC.

Witcher 3.... it's a similar game in a lot of ways, but also very different. Combat is more fun, if only because you move around a lot as opposed to Skyrim's charge and hit and hit and hit again! I'd say play Skyrim to your hearts content, then switch over to Witcher. spent the same amount of time on both games, roughishly. 150 ish hours on Skyrim and a week's worth on Witcher 3 if the counter is to be believed, though someone said it was unreliable.

Bah, all this talk... I'm reinstalling skyrim. I just finished Deus Ex HR again, failed ot get foxiest, no kills, and read all darrow books again... I just can't remember killing anyone though. Really annoying, I might do a quick run through to get the first 2 achievements.... shouldn't take too long if I don't hack every thing in sight. And not gather money... 120K in the bank at the end game. >.> And nothing to spend it on.

When you get the bug to mod, have a look at Skyrim Revisited: Legendary Edition.

It gets even better.

My wife walked by when I was playing at that part, she thought it was YouTube video of Colorado backpacking :)

Lol yeah. The lady walked by once when I was putting around (I think I was in Solitude, can't recall) and she said "Wow!" (and she doesn't give a damn about pc gaming)

Congrats on your belated purchase!

Might I recommend the unofficial patches and the borderless window/double cursor fixes.

AND SkyUI !OF_COURSE!

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3863/? SkyUI
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/36177/? Borderless Window
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/36125/? Double Cursor Fix

- Latest versions of Unofficial Patches are under "Most Watched"

http://afkmods.iguanadons.net/index.php?/files/

Happy gaming!!

watch out.... I just past 2,300hrs in Skyrim... be careful it sucks down time like you wouldnt believe.

So much this!
The "pop in" details completely killed the game for me. No matter how I tweaked the settings, the draw distance was just too annoying to put up with. I got it on sale a couple of years after release so I didn't waste too much money on it.

I bought the legendary edition over a year ago during a Steam sale or a bundle or something, and I've been afraid to touch it. All I hear about is how it will suck your life away once you start playing.... :D

So much this!
The "pop in" details completely killed the game for me. No matter how I tweaked the settings, the draw distance was just too annoying to put up with. I got it on sale a couple of years after release so I didn't waste too much money on it.

Ugrid distance is your friend.

BUT, be aware, all saves after the ini change.... You can't go back.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/12...ni-comparisons-and-explanation-default-57911/

9 is as far as I've dared to venture....

EDIT: You can ignore the "preload", its all about the grid/cell ratio etc

I just fired Skyrim up again yesterday. I was disappointed to discover that the flawless widescreen program no longer works for eyefinity. Widescreen fixer works, but it isn't nearly as nice as flawless.

Modding Skyrim becomes a "game" of its own. Def check out Nexus Mod Manager or just use the Steam Workshop, either way tons and tons of mods.

I am only Level 7 so far, but I get my ass kicked by the bosses, at the end of the cave quests.

Like I will find a cave in the middle of nowhere, go in there, clear out all the skeletons, and then at the very end of the cave area, there's always the top bad dude waiting. And man those guys pack a punch. I try top pause the game, drink healing potion, swing ans attack, then pause again, and do a spell to heal me, rinse and repeat, but some guys I just can't get passed.

TBH.... for those stupidly strong bosses, I hid in the corner and shot them with arrows at the lower lvls.

Ugrid distance is your friend.

BUT, be aware, all saves after the ini change.... You can't go back.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/12...ni-comparisons-and-explanation-default-57911/

9 is as far as I've dared to venture....

EDIT: You can ignore the "preload", its all about the grid/cell ratio etc

Stable uGridsToLoad mod will let you set it back down and keep savegames. Tested by mod author to 13; game limit is 21, but commenters note that you won't see any difference past 11 unless you're on mountaintops, and load times grow exponentially as it goes higher.

Haven't played Skyrim yet myself, though. I'm waiting until I upgrade to a video card with more than 2GB of VRAM. Hopefully STEP will have hit 2.3.0 by then because I'm planning on using that, and GEMS to find other good mods. (STEP = how to set up Skyrim for mods; GEMS helps you find good mods better than Nexus. That's my understanding of them.)

Modding Skyrim becomes a "game" of its own. Def check out Nexus Mod Manager or just use the Steam Workshop, either way tons and tons of mods.

That's for newbs. :p Mod Organizer lets you have each mod in its own directory.

Boy we really need to get you up to speed. How long have you been living in the darkness?

My wife, who has finished the game, says I enjoy modding Skyrim more than I enjoy playing Skyrim. ;)

Mod Organizer is great, FWIW.

I like it more than Skyrim and I love Skyrim. Witcher games are more story driven then exploration driven. Witcher 3 does a phenomenal job with side quests making them fell a lot less of a chore and flow more naturally.

Skyrim does have much more as far as classes go. In Witcher you’re stuck as a Witcher so no sneaky thieves or Ranger types. Yet there is a pretty deep skill tree to level up in Witcher still.

Setting is much darker, Game of Thrones-ish almost.

I've spent about 100 hours on Oblivion, 40 hours on Skyrim, but I could never get into Witcher. I lost interest in it in about 30 minutes for the first, and about 2 hours into the second, I haven't even tried Witcher 3 for that reason. I also don't like the character they make you play in Witcher. I like to make my own way instead of being forced into one specific character.

I've spent about 100 hours on Oblivion, 40 hours on Skyrim, but I could never get into Witcher. I lost interest in it in about 30 minutes for the first, and about 2 hours into the second, I haven't even tried Witcher 3 for that reason. I also don't like the character they make you play in Witcher. I like to make my own way instead of being forced into one specific character.

I get that. It is what it is.

The one thing I love about Witcher is choices matter and can have very unexpected consequences.

Witcher series is based on a book series that came first, starting with The Last Wish. They kind of had their hands tied with Geralt if they were to stay true to the books. That said Geralt is a much deeper characters than he may first seem.

Only Level 10. But man oh man, am I enjoying this game. Mostly just wandering around exploring, and seeing the absolute gorgeous scenery, especially with the High Res mods I've done, the game in some areas can almost look photo realistic.

So the upcoming Fallout 4 is made by the same team from Skyrim ? And same engine, just a upgraded next gen version of it for F4 ? I never played Fallout 3, but after liking Skyrim so much, and if Fallout 4 is similar, just different setting of course, I think I'd like that too.

Back