Doom On Raspberry Pi

This is a clone of Doom, not the real game (though the Raspberry Pi can run the real thing, as well)

Bad clone, but it's fast. Shouldn't take much to run Doom, though. A 486/DX 33 could handle it fine with 8MB RAM.

Bad clone, but it's fast. Shouldn't take much to run Doom, though. A 486/DX 33 could handle it fine with 8MB RAM.

It's true. But Doom wasn't even 3D. So it's not a HUGE achievement. Playing Quake would probably be more of an achievement of modern commodity hardware. But Doom was an excellent game none-the-less, so I take nothing from it!

Hell I'm still amazed just how good looking of a game can be played on an iPad. Full 3D and all.

Just in case no one watches the video in the link.

The enemies/mobs in the Doom clone are not moving. They are all just standing in place, and placement is terrible. Some clumping of mobs. And the instantly become piles of goo on the ground once killed, there is no "blowing up" animation that Doom had.

The level music is also obviously dubbed in to the video. There are no in-game sound effects audible.

Doom graphics plastered on some other engine... THIS IS NOT DOOM!!!

This got me to fire up the real Doom which doesn't run on modern Windows especially 64-bit but ZDoom did the trick.

It's true. But Doom wasn't even 3D. So it's not a HUGE achievement. Playing Quake would probably be more of an achievement of modern commodity hardware. But Doom was an excellent game none-the-less, so I take nothing from it!

Hell I'm still amazed just how good looking of a game can be played on an iPad. Full 3D and all.

I agree. I've got a Raspberry Pi2 B waiting for some action. Wonder if the quad core would make a difference in a game like Quake.

Yeah, I was gonna say: this is hardly an accomplishment for the Pi. It has more than enough horsepower for Quake 3 (processor is equivalent to a Pentium II 200-300, and includes an FPU).

The GPU that comes with the Pi is on the same performance level as a GeForce 3 (reported 1.5 Gigatexesls/sec). That should be plenty for Quake 3 :D

ZDoom is the best source port, in my opinion. If you're a snob who needs the most authentic experience, though, there is always Chocolate Doom.

A snob that wants the most authentic experience has a 486 or Pentium with DOS on it laying around just for that purpose.

I... uh...

Yeah.

Why is this impressive? I bet graphing calculators can run doom now.

I agree. I've got a Raspberry Pi2 B waiting for some action. Wonder if the quad core would make a difference in a game like Quake.

I would think if a nintendo DS can handle quake one of these could

I've always preferred psDooM, myself. "The first level (either E1M1 or MAP01), and only the first level, will contain monsters that represent processes currently running on the machine ('pid monsters'). The machine's process list is checked at regular intervals. Processes that are new since the last check are spawned as new monsters, while processes no longer running on the machine are removed from the level."

Back