Petition For Reddit CEO Resignation Over 157K

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know about you, but I would definitely take it personally if this many people wanted me fired. ;)

An online petition calling for the resignation of Ellen Pao, Reddit's interim CEO, has attracted more than 130,000 signatures, growing rapidly in the past two days since the dismissal of a key administrator at the community-curated news site.

The petition should "demand" that Kyle show off his bra, not have him fired. If he was fired, we wouldn't have anymore bra shots!:D

[RIP]Zeus;1041712527 said:
The petition should "demand" that Kyle show off his bra, not have him fired. If he was fired, we wouldn't have anymore bra shots!:D

Can you imagine the Internet uproar if there were a petition for bra shots of Reddit's CEO?

I'm not surprised that they are petitioning, but at the same time, I don't see what it will accomplish. Reddit has angered a fair bit of its community with recent policy enforcement actions. Despite this, their site traffic is still more than sufficient to keep it going. This will just push the fringe and some of those close to the fringe to whatever the next big forum for posting random stupid shit is on the Internet.

[RIP]Zeus;1041712527 said:

Hey wait, I thought Steve was the only one wearing a bra. When did Kyle joint the club? And if he did we need to see proof! We should create a petition to demand at lest a statment fomr Kyle, if not complete disclosure!;):eek:

And yes I signed, that little litigious troll needs to go.

They never turned a profit, so no.
That is why this is happening, isn't it? They want to cleanse the site to make it more palatable for mass media consumption to lure in advertisers and make it profitable.

It's funny how the people who insist that they have a right to free speech without social consequences aren't willing to pay for it.

It's funny how the people who insist that they have a right to free speech without social consequences aren't willing to pay for it.

There are people who can say whatever they want without social consequences...

They're called SJW.

There is a misinterpretation there. The right to free speech has never been without social consequence, nor should it be. The right to free speech only prevents the government from punishing individuals for their speech, with obvious limitations.

They never turned a profit, so no.

In the Internet era, profitability does not necessarily equate to success, or to put it another way, how many of these Internet-based companies do not turn a profit, yet still receive significant investment of capital for their continued operation? I'll be honest, it doesn't make sense to me. I suppose the good news is that it doesn't have to make sense to the average person, as long as it makes sense to those investing and the product continues to be delivered. The average person might easily mistake this kind of operation for a new kind of Ponzi scheme...

I have a feeling this would be far more muted if there wasn't an existing clusterfuck over the whole Pao vs. Kleiner Perkins politics crap already.

so 157k people want the ceo to leave? But they are all still subscribing to the service? Wouldn't mass account cancellings cause more impact than some petition? I feel like to make a movement you need to put forth some effort.

Click on a link get someone fired sound good to me...... the net is tyranny....

There are people who can say whatever they want without social consequences...

They're called SJW.

SJW doesn't mean anything anymore. It used to mean people who defend woman against sexist comments and now it's so overused it might as well be "people I disagree with".

Click on a link get someone fired sound good to me...... the net is tyranny....

If its unjust it won't happen. In this case, if your users want someone gone, well, they're the ones that make you the money.

There is a misinterpretation there. The right to free speech has never been without social consequence, nor should it be. The right to free speech only prevents the government from punishing individuals for their speech, with obvious limitations.

In the Internet era, profitability does not necessarily equate to success, or to put it another way, how many of these Internet-based companies do not turn a profit, yet still receive significant investment of capital for their continued operation? I'll be honest, it doesn't make sense to me. I suppose the good news is that it doesn't have to make sense to the average person, as long as it makes sense to those investing and the product continues to be delivered. The average person might easily mistake this kind of operation for a new kind of Ponzi scheme...

Well, when the tech bubble bursts again, I don't really see why mistaking it for a Ponzi scheme is incorrect. And it will burst. The problem is, the VC get rid of all their money and take a nice healthy profit as our 401ks, pensions, etc. are the ones who take the brunt of the downfall.

so 157k people want the ceo to leave? But they are all still subscribing to the service? Wouldn't mass account cancellings cause more impact than some petition? I feel like to make a movement you need to put forth some effort.
This Friday, July 10, has been declared No Reddit day. There was some revolt from moderators over the weekend by taking some of the most popular default reddits private, but everyone quickly caved to empty promises from the admins.

SJW doesn't mean anything anymore. It used to mean people who defend woman against sexist comments and now it's so overused it might as well be "people I disagree with".
"SJW" has come to stand for anyone suffering from pathological altruism, including pseudoaltruism and psychotic altruism.
http://www.pnas.org/content/110/Supplement_2/10408.full.pdf
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11678244

Well, get rid of the 1% that posts the content and everyone else leaves. Most people don't give a shit about the politics of reddit. They just go for the cool stuff. When that cool stuff leaves (see: Digg), then the people will go with it.

She has to be aware of the petition at this point, as the geometric growth of this petition is just insane.

I can't wait to hear leaks about how this topic is brought up in their corporate meetings, or if she's suppressing it. After all, she was supposedly only the "interim CEO", so lets get a real CEO to replace her already.
"SJW" has come to stand for anyone suffering from pathological altruism, including pseudoaltruism and psychotic altruism.
No, it simply means someone specifically that engages in such behavior as listed above to impress others in the social justice circles, but because its a pejorative term, some left wingers like to confuse and misuse the term. And the social justice movement has been going on for some time now, which by definition doesn't sound so bad, but in practice is similar to feminism which sounds reasonable (treat women and men the same) but turns out to be angry single loudmouth overweight women with brightly dyed hair calling for the fall of patriarchy, because all penises are evil, and farting in an elevator is a form of rape. ;)

No, it simply means someone specifically that engages in such behavior as listed above to impress others in the social justice circles, but because its a pejorative term, some left wingers like to confuse and misuse the term. And the social justice movement has been going on for some time now, which by definition doesn't sound so bad, but in practice is similar to feminism which sounds reasonable (treat women and men the same) but turns out to be angry single loudmouth overweight women with brightly dyed hair calling for the fall of patriarchy, because all penises are evil, and farting in an elevator is a form of rape. ;)

SJW is different that regular activists. SJW's are offended and activists for someone else but try and get as much attention to themselves as being the savior and less on the actual cause.

"Look what I'm doing! I'm helping save these vaginas from the patriarchy!"

Real activists can be just as annoying, but at least they believe in the cause for more than just attention.

People have been pushing to move to voat.co quite hard since this started.

Sites struggling hard to keep up but may be interesting to see iof we end up with another Digg here.

People have been pushing to move to voat.co quite hard since this started.

Sites struggling hard to keep up but may be interesting to see iof we end up with another Digg here.

Voat.co has had a few teething problems of its own lately...they got dropped from their hosting company first, then had their PP acct frozen, then the whole CP issue that popped up right after that.

She was hired as an interim CEO. Her only purpose is to make unpopular changes and be replaced. Any negativity people have towards her will just be spun as the site users "winning" and thinking they have an influence in Reddit's operation.

She was hired as an interim CEO. Her only purpose is to make unpopular changes and be replaced. Any negativity people have towards her will just be spun as the site users "winning" and thinking they have an influence in Reddit's operation.

I have a feeling that if her unpopular decisions aren't undone when she's gone people will still leave in mass. Sure, Voat is having issues right now, but people are probably willing to wait to give the dick to reddit.

She has to be aware of the petition at this point, as the geometric growth of this petition is just insane.

I can't wait to hear leaks about how this topic is brought up in their corporate meetings, or if she's suppressing it. After all, she was supposedly only the "interim CEO", so lets get a real CEO to replace her already.

Pseudoaltruism: A pattern of behavior used by people who have a problem in coping satisfactorily with repressed rage. Observed in both individual and group psychotherapy, it allows the discharge of unacceptable impulses through professed concern about others.

Tim Hunt's career was ruined by so-called feminists because they were offended by a joke taken out of context, and their explanation is because they were concerned that that kind of attitude is what keeps women out of science.

From the full text of the second link I posted:
http://bethseeligmd.com/resources/pdf/bjseelig_Am-Psychoanal-Assoc-2001-Seelig-933-59.pdf
"Psuedoaltruism originates in conflict and serves as a defensive cloak for underlying sadomasochism. Psuedoaltruism involves efforts to defend against profound aggression, envy, and a superego-driven need to suffer and be a victim. In psuedoaltruism there is no genuine pleasure in the success or pleasure of the proxy, and pseudoaltruists may be joyless, self-denying martyrs."

Sounds exactly like feminism as we experience it today, expecially from the social media activist types.

I have a feeling that if her unpopular decisions aren't undone when she's gone people will still leave in mass. Sure, Voat is having issues right now, but people are probably willing to wait to give the dick to reddit.

People on Reddit are using Reddit to bitch about Reddit. Now there is a whole cycle of Redditor inside jokes going around on Reddit about Reddit. All that does is continue to increase the conversation count and amount of time people are spending on Reddit. For any change to happen, the people bitching should just leave. Voat is already faceplanting as a successor since now people are bitching on Reddit about Voat imploding from the page hits. People will keep using Reddit because it works and they all want to stick together with their circle jerk of inside jokes and close mindedness.

People on Reddit are using Reddit to bitch about Reddit. Now there is a whole cycle of Redditor inside jokes going around on Reddit about Reddit. All that does is continue to increase the conversation count and amount of time people are spending on Reddit. For any change to happen, the people bitching should just leave. Voat is already faceplanting as a successor since now people are bitching on Reddit about Voat imploding from the page hits. People will keep using Reddit because it works and they all want to stick together with their circle jerk of inside jokes and close mindedness.

Yup, meanwhile reddit is making ad traffic money off all these people lol, but then so is [H] where we are coming here to make fun of people that are protesting reddit. hmm

Close mindedness? There's a subreddit for EVERYTHING, well there was until Pao anyway, so its about as libertarian and open a culture as you could possibly have. On any issue, you can have subreddits even taking up extreme polar opposite positions, and they are self-managed and you get to choose where you want to spend your time.

Reddit culture is a lot of things, but closed minded? C'mon now. Closed minded is deciding to selectively choose what speech to censor, shadowban, and subreddit purge and which to promote. Prior to "the Pao", the rules were really simple... do whatever the heck you want as long as its not super illegal.

Close mindedness? There's a subreddit for EVERYTHING, well there was until Pao anyway, so its about as libertarian and open a culture as you could possibly have. On any issue, you can have subreddits even taking up extreme polar opposite positions, and they are self-managed and you get to choose where you want to spend your time.

Reddit culture is a lot of things, but closed minded? C'mon now. Closed minded is deciding to selectively choose what speech to censor, shadowban, and subreddit purge and which to promote. Prior to "the Pao", the rules were really simple... do whatever the heck you want as long as its not super illegal.

Well said citizen.. now pick up that can.

Well, different subreddits are certainly close minded. You can post the same thing in two different subs. One place will get heavily up-voted, and one will get heavily down-voted.

For a more balanced discussion, reddit is really not that great of a site.

Man, the misogyny is so thick! Just kiddin'.

I never really use Reddit, and don't really get the buzz too much (about it, not the whole fire this lady thing) but yea, this lady is just another ridiculous person doing ridiculous things.

Back