Ceton InfiniTV 6 eth issues?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Does anyone else have one of these?

Have any of you experienced any heat problems with it?

I bought mine in may of last year, and have had iffy issues with live TV ever since, but I had been blaming MythTV.

Now I am starting to suspect that the tuner was the problem all along. (Of course, right after the expiration of the 1 year warranty)

TV stopped working today, and after some troubleshooting it was apparent that the Ceton box wasn't responding to network requests.

I went down to take a look at it, and noticed it was rather hot. Power cycled it, and still nothing.

Took it upstairs and put it in front of an AC for a half an hour, and now it works again.

In retrospect I remember it always being pretty hot, and now I am wondering if all my TV issues over the last year have been related to an overheating Ceton tuner.

Placed a small table top fan on top of it for now, to see how it goes.

19264939370_203817b956_c.jpg

Last edited:
I have seen many posts on other forums about these things getting ultra hot. Most do what you did and add a fan. I went with the pci express version as I was concerned about the heat issues I read about with these units.

I had issues like with the infinitv4. Every couple of days I would have to reboot my HTPC. That it also would get really hot as well. I eventually got rid of it and got two HDHomerun Primes. Been using them for 3 years now and its been a much better experience then the infinitv. I even have them stacked on one another and they haven't failed. Hopefully the fan helps.

Thanks for your comments, guys.

The fan did improve things, but it is kind of ghetto solution, and I have reduced confidence in this thing now.

I randomly saw that the homerun primes were on sale for $112 a piece shipped with prime, so I picked up two.

Only downside is that I now need two cable cards :p. It's too bad Silicondust doesn't make their 6 tuner model anymore...

Maybe someone would want to by my Ceton tuber, but I'd almost feel bad selling it...

Zarathustra[H];1041713626 said:

The fan did improve things, but it is kind of ghetto solution, and I have reduced confidence in this thing now.

I randomly saw that the homerun primes were on sale for $112 a piece shipped with prime, so I picked up two.

Only downside is that I now need two cable cards :p. It's too bad Silicondust doesn't make their 6 tuner model anymore...

Maybe someone would want to by my Ceton tuber, but I'd almost feel bad selling it...
As long as the buyer knows about the heat issues, I wouldn't worry about it.

If I were buying it, I would cut open the casing, find a few spare chipset heatsinks and would mount a fan to it. I heard of a lot of people mounting chipset heatsinks to the PCIe version.

I have two, I stand them on edge, more surface area, keeps the underside cool too.

Zarathustra[H];1041713626 said:

Yeah I agree it sucks having two cable cards, and in my case two tuning adapters also. But it was worth the extra $2 a month to not have to mess with it. There has been rumors Silicondust is working on a six tuner device. One thing I will say its nice having two so if one fails you're not completely out.

A few months ago I had a power surge through my cable modem which killed a few devices that were connected through ethernet. One HDHomerun prime was bad, and the other was stuck at 100Mbps. Luckily I could still use the one at 100Mbps while I ordered new ones. So I wasn't completely without TV during that time.

If you don't mind me asking have you started using the HDHomerun Primes? What has your experience been so far?

If you don't mind me asking have you started using the HDHomerun Primes? What has your experience been so far?

I have. Just set them up last night.

It is a much better experience. They run much cooler, and tuning to a new channel is MUCH faster (two seconds at most, as opposed to 20+ sometimes, depending on the channel, before)

I've also noticed less artifacting than before in the mpeg streams. This may have been due to the heat of the Ceton unit.

I should have gotten these to begin with!

If you are considering getting some, PM morgwon. He is selling a couple. I would have bought his, but he got to me too late, my order on Amazon had already shipped.

Zarathustra[H];1041723065 said:
I have. Just set them up last night.

It is a much better experience. They run much cooler, and tuning to a new channel is MUCH faster (two seconds at most, as opposed to 20+ sometimes, depending on the channel, before)

I've also noticed less artifacting than before in the mpeg streams. This may have been due to the heat of the Ceton unit.

I should have gotten these to begin with!

If you are considering getting some, PM morgwon. He is selling a couple. I would have bought his, but he got to me too late, my order on Amazon had already shipped.

Thats awesome that is identical to how it was for me when I switched from infinitv4 to the HDHomerun Prime. I was considering getting the infinitv6 eth so I can go down to one cablecard vs 2. Now I'm not since the issues I had with the infinitv4 is still there in the infinitv6.

I'm surprised to hear the external one suffering from heat related issues. From experience and research it seems the internal ones are pretty prone to it. In my case whenever it over heats it would just drop out of the device manager and the ceton utility would not find it. A reboot fixes it 100% of the time.

Personally, I used to have a lot of issues with over heating in the summer but the last year, knock on wood, its been OK. But like so many with these issues, at one point I was so fed up with it I too was considering going to a SD tuner because I was out of warranty and ceton wouldnt do squat about it. I told myself if it ever craps out on me I will get an SD tuner.

OP, have you checked your firewall and made sure you have all the right ports open, that also can make it appear missing to your application.

cetons run pretty warm, I had to add a dedicated cooling fan inside my htpc for it. :)

Back