all in one pc

emir7

Limp Gawd
hey guys, I'm looking for an all in one pc (apart from the desktop pc I was already recommended: Thanks Defaultuser and Dangman!!!).
It would be mainly to watch animation, movies and mild gaming. I'd like it to be 27" and have the best screen possible.
Budget: 1-1.5 dollars.
So far I like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-ME088LL-...rds=imac+27"

I'd like it to be resilent as well. Which brand is better? HP VS APPLE...
Also, is the blur horrible for this use?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sticky:

1) What will you be doing with this PC?

Multimedia and gaming (mostly mmorg)

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

2k dollars (tax and shipping not included)

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Europe

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

Everything (even though it's not the right answer it's the truth...)

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

I'll buy everything, nothing from my previous pc is usablee since it's a laptop.

6) Will you be overclocking?

No

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

It's an all in one pc

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

As soon as Dangman or someone knowledgeable gives me the set I'll order it from Amazon (the sooner the merrier)

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

I don't understand what this line means...

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

No

Why an All-one-PC?

Is this for you or is this another route that you're taking rather than the DIY system we recommended?

Whoever is using this PC, if gaming is the main use, all-in-ones are basically a poor choice. Better off doing a DIY gaming PC at that point.

it would be a complement (my laptop suddenly died). So basically it would be my new laptop (I'd use it when I travel, when I go somewhere else to stay during holidays...). Since I'd have the one you already recommended me (THANKS TO GO PART BY PART), I guess gaming isn't that important. Plus I had planned to spend more money on the desktop pc, so I thought I would spend it in here. I changed the budget btw (1-1.5k), and I've thought of this one now:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-ME086LL-21-5-Inch-Desktop-VERSION/dp/B004YLCIC4

I guess 21.5" is easier to carry. I would mainly want this PC to relax and watch multimedia, and I saw in a few comments apple does a good job. Also, I think 17" may be a bit little, that's why I decided to go with an all in one (if you say it's suitable for me that is).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you're traveling, an all-in-one is NOT going to suit your needs.
They're just too damn bulky to travel with.
This from a guy who used to tote a full desktop computer system to conventions and LAN parties (with a 20" CRT and a LaserJet III Si office printer).
Honestly, you're better off with a laptop. That's really all an AIW is. A desktop machine built out of mostly laptop parts.

Lol
Even so, I think I can carry the 21.5" one well enough. I can get it for 1.2k dollars. Any other options?
Plus the traveling part would be scarce (I carry it once and stay in the beach fr 1 month right afterwards)

In general, the two main reasons where I would recommend an All-in-one:
1) the user needs to use OSX
2) the All-in-one costs 50% less than a comparable PC or laptop.

Because All-in-one are essentially large immobile laptops, that means they have the same cons: expensive and hard to repair if something goes wrong. At least the laptop's mobility is a worthy tradeoff. Not the case for an All-in-one where's there's basically no worthy tradeoff.

Just get a tablet, laptop or even a mITX setup.

Lol
Even so, I think I can carry the 21.5" one well enough. I can get it for 1.2k dollars. Any other options?
Plus the traveling part would be scarce (I carry it once and stay in the beach fr 1 month right afterwards)

Good luck finding an airline which permits anything that large as carry-on luggage. Most have severe size restrictions on carry-on baggage (usually, screen size is restricted to less than 16" diagonal, or whatever is the maximum size that completely fits under a seat or within an airplane's overhead storage compartment) to begin with. And checking in such a large and extremely fragile device isn't much better: Most baggage handlers at airports are rough on such baggage (and yes, they hardly follow instructions on such packages). As such, the all-in-one may or may not work once you exit the aircraft and enter a hotel room. And hardware failure due to such abuse is not covered at all under any manufacturer's warranty.

Then, there's the fact that most all-in-one systems (other than laptops and tablets) that absolutely require household AC current of the correct AC voltage just to even work at all. This means that if you're on a beach, and you really need to use a PC while there, you're completely out of luck with all-in-one desktops.

As a result, you'd be far better off with a conventional laptop if you're going to travel at all with a PC.

I know... it's just that I fell in love...
I went to a store and used the imac for 15 minutes (volume included). I watched part of an episode of Game of Thrones, and I just couldn't stop smiling... I'm actually smiling right now just thinking about it...
So far I've just used crappy laptops and PCs with cheap monitors (they all reach 1080p though), so maybe that helps.

Again if you want to a large screen, but the ability to travel, look for something with a 15-17" screen (the 17" will be a lot heavier)

Something like the ThinkPad W541.
15.6" 1920x1080 screen with both VGA and Thunderbolt/Mini-DisplayPort ports.
You can upgrade the CPU to 3.8 (+$90), 3.9 (+$280) or 4.0Ghz (+$680)
You can upgrade the monitor to a 2880x1620 IPS (with or without color sensor)
19x10 + Color Sensor: +$50
26x16: +$150
26x16 + Color Sensor: +$200

I'd also get a minimum of a 2 year warranty. Just to be safe.
You can also shave a couple bucks off by taking the version with NO Fingerprint Reader (under Pointing Device).
Recommend upgrading to the 9-cell Battery. Allows you longer uptime away from an outlet. So you can actually travel with it.

Basically leave the default 4GB and 500GB HD alone. These are things you can always upgrade later. Spend the money you have on things you CANNOT upgrade yourself.

This leaves you with a nice serviceable machine by default.

Then, if you want a monster monitor. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4JH2UH4372

Last edited by a moderator:
I know... it's just that I fell in love...
I went to a store and used the imac for 15 minutes (volume included). I watched part of an episode of Game of Thrones, and I just couldn't stop smiling... I'm actually smiling right now just thinking about it...
So far I've just used crappy laptops and PCs with cheap monitors (they all reach 1080p though), so maybe that helps.

If all you want is a pretty laptop screen, that can be acquired.

Or if you want the bigger screen, you can buy whatever the hell monitor you want and truck around a cheap tiny brick PC.

Seriously, I don't understand the love affair people have with all-in-one PCs. It's just saving you connecting TWO EXTRA CABLES. They will NOT be any easier to move around than separate PC components.

If you want style, you can probably find dozens of monitors with sexy styling reminiscent of the iMac.

Last edited:
Lol, it's true, many people become crazy for imacs and pay 3k-5k what they can get buying a 2k desktop pc. But it's also beautiful, it means love knows no boundaries :)

Lol, it's true, many people become crazy for imacs and pay 3k-5k what they can get buying a 2k desktop pc. But it's also beautiful, it means love knows no boundaries :)

Well yeah. And people molest farm animals too. Doesn't mean it's good, right or even acceptable... ;)

Back