Who Owns Your Face?

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is an insteresting question. The government and most companies believe that using facial recognition in public is fine but what about you? Do you think it is okay to be scanned in public without giving consent?

In June, government talks about how best to regulate facial-recognition algorithms fell apart. But should a company need your permission before scanning your face? And does the technology really work?

If you go out in public your image can be captured and processed

the flip side is that things like veils and masks should be legal

If you go out in public your image can be captured and processed

the flip side is that things like veils and masks should be legal

Exactly. Most people don't realize that we don't own the right to our image. If someone with a camera takes our picture in public, they own all rights to that picture, not the people in it, and can use it in almost any way they want (short of commercial use in a paid ad or something like that.)

Besides, even if we put in place a requirement that people agree to having their faces scanned, it would probably wind up buried in the Facebook user agreement somewhere, and everyone would just blindly agree anyway.

For me if the scanning comes from the store you are currently in, then I have no problem with it. It's really no different than the gal at the deli who asks if you want the same sandwich again, it's just a bit more high tech way of doing it. The lines get blurry when you're walking in public though, do you have an expectation of privacy? The knee jerk is "no you don't" but thinking a bit more on it, you really should have some expectation of privacy, maybe not 100% complete, but some expectation never the less.

Another way to think of it, is if a company is collecting data from scanning whatever, how can that be legal, yet if I scan the data going in and out of their servers via the public internet that is a form of hacking which is illegal. Sure you might say you had to gain access in some way, but a camera also needs to gain access in some way as well, whether it's putting a camera on a private building, or what not.

But yeah, I have a big problem with any sort of video taping that is not being done for security reasons of the business which I'm near.

Does this mean I need to get a copyright tattoo for my face? Add small print to the back of my neck?

The veils and masks thing will get interesting though. Look at the fuss that already happens with the hijab. If facial recognition gets as common as it looks like it will be then I can see a trade in comedy hats and masks. Silly noses to wear. Temporary tattoos. Something to change the looks on a daily basis. Something that is harmlessly innocent to do... unless you are caught up in a surveillance society.

I've got it - we need to start up a trade in pixelated face masks.

Or just dress like these guys :p

masks-thomas-nail.jpg

Zarathustra[H];1041711215 said:
(holy shit, that pic was larger than I expected)
ROFL!!! Going for the full life sized version there I see :D

Obviously, being a Brit, I already have a few of these masks to spare.

Maybe I need to use a QR Code?

Nah, people who get QR (or bar) codes as tattoos just look like pompous hipsters at best. Lets be fair here, anything worse than someone using your image, is being perceived as a hipster!

Nah, people who get QR (or bar) codes as tattoos just look like pompous hipsters at best. Lets be fair here, anything worse than someone using your image, is being perceived as a hipster!

Have to agree. When I see a QR tat, I think that person is a douche. I don't want to scan it, I really don't care. It's not neat or cool. It's a cry for attention....

I worked in Iraq for a year supporting a Biometric System used to identify people.

The basics of the program ran like this. The Biometrics included Iris Scans, Finger Printing, and Facial Recognition. This is also the order of most accurate to least accurate. The Biometric data was collected from captured prisoners, people who visit prisoners while they are in jail, locals and other foreigners who are working on the bases, and some other instances where the Military wanted to be able to possatively determine if a person really is who they claim to be. For instances, all the Iraqi Police Forces were entered so that when we had dealings with them we would know if they were really cops are imposters.

This system means you are not scanning crowds to track and ID people as they go about their lives. Instead it means that when someone who we know has been involved in bad things tries to get a job working on a base so he can do more bad things, that we know who this guy really is and are not fooled by his fake papers and lies about his identity and past life.

It also means that when these people enter the country and go through imigration their finger print check will likely tell the story as well.

The long and the short of it is, I don't care if they are scanning my face while looking for a bad guy. I do care if they are scanning my face in order to track my movements and dealings as I go about my everyday life. I do not make assumptions that one is the other, they are not the same thing.

Back