Will there be a dual GPU 9xx series card?

Darksword

Gawd
We had the GTX 590 and the GTX 690, but nothing since. Do you think Nvidia will put out a GTX 990 dual GPU card? Maybe each core will be a cut down version of the 980 Ti with slightly lower clocks but still feature 6GB of VRAM per GPU.

I'm sure it'd likely come with AIO as standard. Thoughts?

Nvidia got a little crazy charging 1000 bucks for the 690. Then they charged 1000 bucks for the single gpu Titan and Titan Black. Then of course came the insanely priced $3000 dual gpu Titan Z that still goes for $1500 today. Then even with no DP, they still charged $1000 for the Titan X. I say all that to question what they would price a dual GM204 gpu as it would likely be insane.

And to be honest it is such a small niche market and many people would rather have two separate cards anyway. Nvidia is probably swimming in too much cash to even care.

Dual GM200 also would require a massive power supply at 1000W or more. Would be a very niche product. They might release one if they can't get Pascal out in time.

Dual GM200 also would require a massive power supply at 1000W or more. Would be a very niche product. They might release one if they can't get Pascal out in time.
Single GM200 is 250W. Even if you straight up double the power draw and say a dual GM200 card would be 500W, you wouldn't need anywhere near a 1000W PSU.

Probably, since AMD has officially shown a dual Fury X card in the works and I'm sure NVIDIA will want to release a product to counter that.

Single GM200 is 250W. Even if you straight up double the power draw and say a dual GM200 card would be 500W, you wouldn't need anywhere near a 1000W PSU.

There have been reports of dual 980 Ti drawing over 900 watts from the wall. If you factor in any overclocks etc then at least a 1000W PSU would be highly recommended. Doubt the power draw of a dual GPU card is all that much lower.

But above all else a dual GPU 980 Ti would require pretty heavy cooling. Were talking about maybe a 240mm radiator and AIO watercooler. In fact a dual GPU 980 Ti would probably have a full waterblock on it to cover VRM as well.

There have been reports of dual 980 Ti drawing over 900 watts from the wall.

You're mistaking the power draw from the wall with the power output of the PSU. The latter is lower than the former. 900W at the socket is about right for a 750W power draw, assuming 80% efficiency.

Do the maths. 2x 250W for the GPUs is 500W. A high-end CPU will draw 140W. So 640W so far. Add in another 100W for the motherboard, SDDs, HDDs, fans, etc and you're at 740W.

NVIDIA will release this if they think it will be profitable. I do not see any technical limitations for such product.

Honestly, I don't see them doing it this round.
They seem to be focusing on maximum single-card power.
SLI/Crossfire, while nice, are limited niche markets and the technology has its own unique set of problems.

Nvidia won't do it because then they have to copy the 295 X2's cooling solution and it makes them look like second fiddle.
Or they can use gm204 chips and get wrecked by dual Fiji.

Back