Is my 5820K this crappy or am I missing something?

Mut1ny

[H]ard|Gawd
Recently upgraded to a 5820K, Asrock X99M Killer, and 2x4GB Crucial Sport DDR4-2400 RAM.

Problem I'm having is that no matter the voltage I can't seem to get my system stable and just having weird issues over all.

For instance, I have about a 90% failure rate on manually overclocking (won't even get past BIOS start up let alone Windows) but if I load a predefined OC profile the computer boots up just fine.

So I think, "OK I'll just use a profile then!". The 4.4GHz profile (with 1.31v and 1.9v input) worked fine all last night, no problems. I gamed, ran Prime95 for an hour, watched videos with Chrome and about 10 other tabs, etc. Seems to be solid! I go to shut down the computer and it freezes on the shut down screen. Not as solid as I thought?

So I get up this morning, reboot, and these settings don't seem to work anymore...I get the same problems as I do when I manually try to OC.

So I get into the BIOS, load the 4.4GHz profile again but lower the multiplier to 4.2GHz. I think that everything being higher than needed for 4.2GHz that this must work, right?

Again, PC runs fine. All day today. Playing GTA 5, game crashes, click on "End Program"...bam...frozen. Reboot the PC...same problem as before.

So yeah...I know for a fact that mine...or any 5820K...should be able to handle freakin 4.2GHz at 1.31v with 1.9v input.

What's the deal here? Am I missing some setting? Anyone else have a similar setup? It's pretty aggravating.

Also, Windows takes, like, forever to load now. I'd swear it's running off of a 5400RPM hard drive or something. Where on my Z77 system it would be done before the logo could even form now it sits there...loading...for at least a good 8-10 seconds or so.

Anyways, thoughts?

Here's pics of the BIOS settings using the 4.4GHz profile.

You haven't mentioned...

Temps

PSU model

Does your mobo have VMM probe locations? Can you verify stable voltage?

You're sure you didn't bend any socket pins when installing the CPU?

You haven't mentioned...

Temps

PSU model

Does your mobo have VMM probe locations? Can you verify stable voltage?

You're sure you didn't bend any socket pins when installing the CPU?

Temps are well within safe limits (max last night at 4.4GHz was like 75C).

Power supply is a OCZ ZX 1000 watt.

Don't have a voltage reader so wouldn't know. I can say that the PC froze when shutting down with stock CPU settings...so I'm suspecting it isn't the overclock that's causing issues now though.

Just some oddities I've run into in the past...

I've built systems with motherboards that were very picky on one or more fronts.

I've seen memory incompatibility (compatible to JDEC standard but some fine grained signaling incompatiblity) cause things like disk drives to randomly unmount and disappear. Switching to a memory of a different SKU (not even a different brand or speed) would fix the issue.

I've seen flaky PSU's cause systems to hang at inconsistent times

I've seen sata optical drives that drive motherboards bonkers....

I'd say strip your system down to bare bones, as much as possible. Try to get your hands on a second PSU/GPU/RAM to do testing with. If the issue persists, the main suspect would be the mobo.

As a passing thought, I've run a couple of z77 ASROCK boards and have found them to work flawlessly...That said, I still hear rumors that they skimp on board design in places that sometimes bite buyers in the ass.

Try upping your cache voltage a little. I run mine at 1.3V.

I see your ram is already at 1.25V. I had I up mine from 1.2 to 1.25V. You can also try lowering your ram speed to 2133 to see if it helps. It's basically impossible to tell the difference between unstable ram and CPU and the controller is built into the CPU. Anything over 2133 is technically an OC.

have you tried resenting you're Processor?

making sure you have the latest and greatest bios?

Fresh windows install? Sorry if some of these were answered.. Reading but I'm super tired so just gonna try and respond.

It could just be a bad board. Personally for me I wont touch anything other than EVGA or ASUS... ASUS is even sketchy cause my first Z97 Hero had issues with overclocking but stock was great.

Is your ram on the QVL Supplied by manufacturer?

Back