MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB

HardOCP News

[H] News
The MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB video card is on the test bench at techPowerUP! today.

NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 980 Ti was released just a few weeks ago. It is built on the same GM200 GPU as the GeForce Titan X, but has fewer shaders (2816 vs 3072). While the GTX 980 Ti's GPU is still produced on a 28 nanometer process at TSMC in Taiwan, it comes with the fantastic power efficiency optimizations of the NVIDIA Maxwell architecture, which promises lower power draw, higher performance, and reduced fan noise all at the same time.

I wish TPU would include fan profiles in their temp/noise testing.

As well as screenshots of the overclock on the utility they're using. Apparently there is some issue with MSI shipping the retail card with only 109% power limit instead of the 120% limit they sent to reviewers. I hope HardOCP reviews this card.

As well as screenshots of the overclock on the utility they're using. Apparently there is some issue with MSI shipping the retail card with only 109% power limit instead of the 120% limit they sent to reviewers. I hope HardOCP reviews this card.
A full screenshot of the MSI Afterburner window is the way to go.
I've seen a few other sites do it and it's great. Gives you a full shot of clock speeds, fan tachometer, usage, temps, etc, for an entire benchmark.

How come the Fury X traded blows with the standard 980 Ti in this review at higher resolutions, where it was soundly beaten in most other initial reviews? If these were the scores to come out on day one, we would be having a different conversation in regards to the value of the Fury X.

one of these MSI 980 Ti Gaming cards is coming to replace my 2.5 year old Titan,I hope it is as stable with my x58 system

one of these MSI 980 Ti Gaming cards is coming to replace my 2.5 year old Titan,I hope it is as stable with my x58 system

The original Titan is already 2.5 years old, time goes so fast.
The 980 Ti is a worthy upgrade as it is around 50% faster than the good old Titan.

yes,it certainly will sneak quickly by
I plan on getting GTA V and hopefully Witcher 3 so the 1600p will be a hefty load in those

How come the Fury X traded blows with the standard 980 Ti in this review at higher resolutions, where it was soundly beaten in most other initial reviews? If these were the scores to come out on day one, we would be having a different conversation in regards to the value of the Fury X.

Barring a few game outliers Fury X was generally considered to be within single digit % performance with 980 Ti. The problem, to enthusiasts (which is would buy a $650 card), is that the 980 Ti overclocks very gracefully and that has not been the case with Fury X so far. That may change with future drivers but it was enough to sway my money to green team for this upgrade cycle.

Prices aren't going anywhere until Pascal.
I'm actually surprised the 980 got cut. I guess Nvidia didn't have much of a choice with the 980 Ti coming out.

970 is nearly a year old and it hasn't budged a cent. Most Nvidia GPUs are replaced within a year.
AMD has given Nvidia a free ride to coast until 16nm.

Prices aren't going anywhere until Pascal.
I'm actually surprised the 980 got cut. I guess Nvidia didn't have much of a choice with the 980 Ti coming out.

970 is nearly a year old and it hasn't budged a cent. Most Nvidia GPUs are replaced within a year.
AMD has given Nvidia a free ride to coast until 16nm.

"Nvidia is on-track to release its new Pascal GPU around mid-2016"

Yea im thinking 18months till we get our hands on a "1080" card...

The 109% power max is a deal-breaker for me. A little OC and you'll probably hit that in no time.

Is there a 120 power bios available? Seems kind of like a bait and switch move on MSI's part to do this. Was set to pick up this card until hearing about this.

Ok, I've looked at both the review and retail BIOSes of the MSI 980 Ti Gaming. There is no power limit difference. They have the exact same power limit, but what the retail version has is a higher default power limit. The power limit percentage is calculated from default limit and max limit. Since the default limit on retail is 275W vs 250W on the review sample but both have max limit of 300W so that's where you get 109% vs 120%.

Other differences in the review BIOS are:
  • Review sample has 38 MHz higher base clock and 50 MHz higher default boost clock (the actual boost can and does go beyond this)
  • Review sample fans stay off until 53°C, retail they are off until 60°C
  • Review sample has a boost table topping at 1569 vs 1531 MHz. This means the retail version runs at slightly higher voltages after 1481 MHz than the review. Usually this means slightly more heat but better stability.
  • Review sample runs memory 43 MHz higher.

Basically you should not bother flashing the review BIOS as any changes in it are not going to have an effect in real world performance. The retail BIOS is slightly newer revision than review.

Ok, I've looked at both the review and retail BIOSes of the MSI 980 Ti Gaming. There is no power limit difference. They have the exact same power limit, but what the retail version has is a higher default power limit. The power limit percentage is calculated from default limit and max limit. Since the default limit on retail is 275W vs 250W on the review sample but both have max limit of 300W so that's where you get 109% vs 120%.

Other differences in the review BIOS are:
  • Review sample has 38 MHz higher base clock and 50 MHz higher default boost clock (the actual boost can and does go beyond this)
  • Review sample fans stay off until 53°C, retail they are off until 60°C
  • Review sample has a boost table topping at 1569 vs 1531 MHz. This means the retail version runs at slightly higher voltages after 1481 MHz than the review. Usually this means slightly more heat but better stability.
  • Review sample runs memory 43 MHz higher.

Basically you should not bother flashing the review BIOS as any changes in it are not going to have an effect in real world performance. The retail BIOS is slightly newer revision than review.

Wrong.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/msi-geforce-gtx-980-ti-gaming-6-gb.213995/

It's just shady on the part of MSi. I don't care to do business that way, sending one card/driver out to reviewers and others out to retail.

This will be replacing my R9-290....If the Fury-X was $550, I'd get that...but this GTX 980 Ti is monstrously more powerful than the Fury-X for not much more money.

No is not wrong. This turned out to be EXACTLY what I told you guys it was two days ago. http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041710468&postcount=461

BOTH retail and review cards have max of 300 watts just different ways of getting there. And the retail BIOS is better overall solution with its 275 watt TDP as that means even out of the box the card is not going to throttle from power limits. The slightly higher clocks on the review card are nearly irrelevant as the 250 watt TDP will cause it to hit the power limit more often anyway and throttle without it being raised. Plus nearly anyone buying this card will OC it.

It's just shady on the part of MSi. I don't care to do business that way, sending one card/driver out to reviewers and others out to retail.
It is nothing too shady in the end if you look at how kasakka and I just explained it.

Back