Absolute Best Glossy 27-inch 1080P Monitor?

philstat

Limp Gawd
I always like using a 27-inch 1080p monitor for most of my console gaming, I use other higher resolution monitors for my PC gaming. Curious to see what is the best Glossy 60hz 1080p 27-inch (or bigger) monitor/display that is currently out. I mostly prefer smaller monitors vice TVs for console gaming, better pixel density and definitely improved input lag and motion resolution compared to most HDTVs.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks.

Dell S2715H and HP s270c are the only glare panels I can think of right now
there are also some 28'' 1080p monitors they use panels that should have a semi-glossy coating (like on some TVs)

Dell S2715H and HP s270c are the only glare panels I can think of right now
there are also some 28'' 1080p monitors they use panels that should have a semi-glossy coating (like on some TVs)

I was looking at the S2715h earlier today, had the S2440L a couple of years ago, loved the glass/glossy look, though it sustained serious image burn in, fist time I ever had that happen on an LCD monitor. The s270c, looks very interesting, that may be my option. I currently own the Samsung LS27D590CS, nice monitor, though the matte grain on it's more noticeable than I expected it would be, definitely much more so than my Dell u2515h. Thanks for the response.

I currently own the Samsung LS27D590CS, nice monitor, though the matte grain on it's more noticeable than I expected it would be, definitely much more so than my Dell u2515h.

Yeah the HP has the same panel as the Samsung but a different coating.
Prad.de reviewed both (in german), in case you are interested in a comparison

www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2015/test-samsung-s27d590c-led-teil4.html
www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2015/test-hp-elitedisplay-s270c-teil7.html

The S2440L used a (now discontinued) generation of AMVA panel its possible some of them were indeed prone to burn-in.

edit: there are also some smaller 32'' Televisions (Sony, Samsung) that are glossy or semi-glossy

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info, just bought the HP 27c via Amazon. Can't wait to get it, thanks again - will report back my findings.

Frustrating, typed a huge comparison, just vanished in the freaking nether, I'm going to keep it much shorter this time.

- BLUF: HP 27c IMO is a MUCH better option and costs less.
- Not as glossy as I expected, it's similar to what you see on the newer Samsung HDTVs, somewhat of a hybrid, nowhere near as glossy/reflective as the Dell S series of monitors.
- Speakers are substantially better than the S27D590CS, definitely a huge improvement, though won't use often, use the Z-5500s still.
- Richer and warmer colors than the S27D590CS, not by a huge margin, though it's noticeable, played several games side by side today in clone mode today.
- Not as many tweaks in the settings, options wise as the Samsung, for example, you can't manually change the gamma as you can on the S27D590CS.
- Doesn't scale as well as the Samsung with 720p content, for some reason the colors in 720p really pop compared to the S27D590CS, though it's slightly softer looking, not by much. Did a ton of Mass Effect comparisons.
- Both monitors have excellent input lag, sub 10ms, the 27c seems snappier, though this could be because of the scaling issue mentioned earlier.
- No noticeable black light bleed from either screen, the 27c had one area with a stuck red pixel.
- Motion in game is the best I have ever seen on a 1080p 60hz screen, this is without question the best console monitor I have ever tried, input lag is phenomenal, easily less than 10ms. The S27D590CS has a tendency in some games to overshoot on colors, giving a faint white outline/silhouette effect, have not noticed this on the 27c. Seriously, I'm very picky on motion resolution and blurring, the 27c is phenomenal in this regard!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- I've noticed on Samsung's monitors this year, they are using a very coarse AG, similar to what the U2711 had years ago, it's very odd, don't get it!
- Wished the 27c had a displayport connection, both monitors have a VGA port, LOL, what a waste!
- The 27c is on a great sell right now from Amazon, it's currently $262.

Last edited:
Glad to hear it turned out well. Nowadays you can never be sure with all those QC issues.
Good price indeed, HP monitors often have these kinds of sells in the US, they're usually much more expensive in Europe.
I checked the coating again and yes its indeed not fully glossy.
Its a glare panel with "Antireflective Filter", probably 1-3% Haze so it qualifies as semi-glossy.

hMJYSlx.jpg

Actually a lot of HP monitors use this solution, they call it either "BrightView" or "Low Haze".
They appear to be the only company right now that uses custom coating solutions, others mostly go with the coating that already comes with the panel.
When panels are ordered from LG, AUO, Samsung, Innolux, BOE or Sharp they usually come with a coating and backlight system, unless they are labeled "CELL" then its only the LC matrix.

Glad to hear it turned out well. Nowadays you can never be sure with all those QC issues.
Good price indeed, HP monitors often have these kinds of sells in the US, they're usually much more expensive in Europe.
I checked the coating again and yes its indeed not fully glossy.
Its a glare panel with "Antireflective Filter", probably 1-3% Haze so it qualifies as semi-glossy.

hMJYSlx.jpg

Actually a lot of HP monitors use this solution, they call it either "BrightView" or "Low Haze".
They appear to be the only company right now that uses custom coating solutions, others mostly go with the coating that already comes with the panel.
When panels are ordered from LG, AUO, Samsung, Innolux, BOE or Sharp they usually come with a coating and backlight system, unless they are labeled "CELL" then its only the LC matrix.

Thanks for the photo. I assume the 27cw has the same low haze coating.

Back