n00b
i7 920 3.8GHz still running great after 6 years
9GB RAM @ 1600
2x 500GB SSD running through pci-e slot cards
USB3 via pci-e
Nvidia 760
Newer PSU

Why I am thinking about upgrading:
Newer tech with lower power consumption.
New USB standard
New SATA standard
I like to stay ahead in tech.

Are the new Intel CPUs that much better?

Casual gamer (tf2 is really all I play anymore lol), programming, web browsing, spreadsheets, VMs.

I think you answered your own question.

If you're able to run all the stuff you need to without issues, you're not really going to gain much. If those small perks are enough value for you to justify $600+ on a new mobo and CPU, go for it. I also have a 920, and for me the benefit is not there.

I think you are correct. That is why I have continued to upgrade the other components.

Your system is still tits. I recomend getting better ram, 9GB is kinda "off" (I'm guessing 3x2GB+3x1GB)..... You would benefit greatly from 3x 4GB sticks @12GB of ram, running 1T VS unmatched sets running 2T. Maybe even try 8GB sticks for 24GB... for futher Future proofing. The sticks would be a long shot, but worth it to try. All in all this will make for a snappier memory setup. As for anything else, All I can tell is maybe a new video card... and a higher OC ;)

I was recently in a similar situation to you.

I had an i7 920 (D0 step, Bloomfield 45nm) with 6GB (3x2GB) RAM. It was awesome for 6 years, and there was really no need for upgrade, but I noticed that the 1366 Xeons are available for VERY cheap. I snagged a Xeon X5675 for about $120. It's a very similar processor, but I went from 4 cores to 6 (8 -> 12 if you include HT) and went from a 45nm chip to 32nm, so lower TDP, heat, etc.

I also swapped out my RAM kit for a 12GB (3x4GB), and I don't have memory limitations anymore.

Combined with a current graphics card (970 GTX), I have no problems plowing through games at high settings. The extra RAM and threats are nice for multitasking and getting work done.

My roommate build his PC recently with a i7 4790K and 16GB RAM. While those are both slightly better, as far as gaming goes, both of our PCs perform the same.

The ONLY reason I want to upgrade my x58 setup is for SATAIII, UEFI, and USB 3.0, not for actual performance.

Little more RAM and a 1366 Xeon with breathe some life into your setup :D

In my experience, triple channel ram kits are over priced now. I would find a good deal on a fast single stick and buy 3.

I like the idea of upgrading RAM and processor. Is this a good deal:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=351033020990&alt=web

I can just buy 3 identical RAM dimms correct? Don't need to be sold as a triple channel set?

1. Yes, that is a good deal. I got mine for about $120.

2. Yes you can get 3 separate sticks of RAM, but the whole point of getting a RAM kit is so that you can guarantee that the sticks come from the same batch and are there are no mismatches whatsoever. You will most likely be fine with 3 sticks as long as they are identical though, so just get whatever is cheaper.

Keep in mind the Xeons won't overclock quite as well as the 920s (because you were able to get ridiculous 50%+ OCs on the 920s), but you definitely still can get some more juice out of them. Also you will want to do some research with your motherboard first to see if it can handle the Xeon. It most likely will, but it might take a BIOS update.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have an old i7 as well and am waiting for skylake, and even then it's not going to blow me away, but maybe handbrake faster.

X58 is holding up impressively really, I don't see a burning need yet

Same, still running X58 here and it handles everything like a champ still.

If your board supports the Xeon chips, just get one of those for dirt cheap off eBay and drop it in.

Get 3 sticks of DDR3-2000 or higher.

The x58 platform performs really well once you get the uncore, RAM, etc up there.

Pop in a 6-core XEON and go at it.

Xeon upgrade is most sensible, but native USB 3.0 and SATA III were enough reason for me to upgrade my X58 Classified + i7-960 in Jan 2014. In my particular case, the BCLK OC did not play nice with the USB 3.0 add-in card, and I needed to reinstalled the OS anyways to make use of a spare SSD from another build.

If I were you, I'd keep the system around until the M.2 vs SATA Express mess clears up.

Back