Kim Dotcom Appeals To Reclaim $67M From U.S.

HardOCP News

[H] News
Kim Dotcom wants his millions back from the U.S.? Good luck with that. If there is one thing the U.S. is good at, it is keeping your money once they have it.

In an effort to reclaim an estimated $67 million in assets, Megaupload's legal team has appealed the forfeiture the U.S. Government won earlier this year. The filing refutes the claim that Kim Dotcom and his former colleagues are fugitives, and warns of the dangerous precedent the District Court ruling will set.

Whether one likes him or not, is not the issue. I hope he wins his appeal.

I'm all for criminals not being able to use their ill-gotten gains in their defense. But asset forfeiture laws have gotten out of hand and there is too much of a conflict of interest to pad department pockets rather than truly seek justice.

See: 78-year old woman's cash seized, $40k, because it was not declared. I get that you're required to declare it, and even the reasons behind it. But if it turns out to not be illicit proceeds, it should be some type of nominal fine to keep the law enforced, not simply seizing it all.

Thing is, many of these people have their assets seized - and are not even charged with anything!

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/...lice-seize-cars-homes-charges-filed/23802807/

All stemming from the war on drugs, which is an epic failure.

This is pretty astonishing from your article post:
Forfeitures done using federal law must be reported to the Department of Justice. Under that Equitable Sharing program, Indiana law enforcement agencies acquired $52.8 million in property and cash from 2002 to 2014, according to DOJ's database. During that same 12-year period, $4.8 billion was forfeited nationally.

Thing is, many of these people have their assets seized - and are not even charged with anything!

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/...lice-seize-cars-homes-charges-filed/23802807/

Don't commit fraud, or distribute drugs. That simple. Though, personally I don't consider Marijuana a harmful substance when in fact there is no supporting evidence other than complete asinine bullshit and how it became illegal based on one politicians ideals. Alcohol has more supporting evidence of how harmful it is, and it's more lethal than Marijuana.

Whether one likes him or not, is not the issue. I hope he wins his appeal.

In your dreams, you start a business that is explicitly to share and store files... you know exactly the type of content it will be serving. Besides that, Hollywood has too much power.

There are other file sharing sites out there. Why weren't they targeted too?

In a strange way he's fighting for every American's - and unfortunate tourist's - freedom from unlawful forfeiture laws, aka highway robbery. Best of luck to him and to us all.

glwt. people who did nothing wrong to begin with have a hard time getting money back.

Good luck to him, I can't see them giving anything back without him setting foot on US soil first.

If there is one thing the U.S. is good at, it is keeping your money once they have it.

More like . . . The U.S. is good at spending your money once they have it, and the money of your children and grandchildren before they have it.

He could probably cite some kinda humanitarian need thing. I betcha it takes like 67 million a year to keep up that kind of excessive obesity.

If he actually had gotten into a legitimate linux hosting business he probably would have made some legal money.

Don't commit fraud, or distribute drugs. That simple. Though, personally I don't consider Marijuana a harmful substance when in fact there is no supporting evidence other than complete asinine bullshit and how it became illegal based on one politicians ideals. Alcohol has more supporting evidence of how harmful it is, and it's more lethal than Marijuana.

Did you read the article at all? An old lady sold her house and took the money in cash. She was worried about it so spread it around so it wouldn't all get stolen at once.

Or a business owner in Iowa, who after her teller complained how much of a pain the Currency Transaction Reports were, started depositing her cash of just under $10k each time. Due to structuring, even though all the funds were legitimate proceeds, they seized $33,000 from her, a small business owner.

Even if you get the funds back, it can take years, and if you fall behind in bills, mortgage, your business fails, etc, I doubt you then have the financial wherewithal to go after the Feds for damages, if the courts would even allow it.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...forfeiture-mrs-ladys-carole-hinders/25309217/

Hope he wins. The government needs to learn it can't just go around taking peoples money for no reason.

Back