Appeals Court: Apple Conspired To Fix E-book Prices

HardOCP News

[H] News
Call me a skeptic but, just because every ruling so far has went against Apple, I don't think the company is ready to pay that $450 million settlement just yet.

The ruling would force Apple to pay consumers $450 million under a 2014 settlement of a class action with 33 state attorneys general and lawyers, unless it files another appeal and wins. The settlement was contingent on Apple's civil liability being upheld.

As long as they have to pay interest on it as well.
Thats another 9 million + so far :p

The money paragraph:

"While we want to put this behind us, the case is about principles and values," Apple said in a statement. "We know we did nothing wrong back in 2010 and are assessing next steps."

:D

Apple see's it as working with vendors to set expected profit margins and create the appearance of quality products. Everyone else sees it at price fixing.

It meets Apples moral code but it's not ethical.

I don't understand how it's not ethical. Negotiations to set a price on e-books. Agreements are made, contracts signed, and onward things go. Who was holding a gun to vendors heads and made them sign the deals? This is government overreach.

I don't understand how it's not ethical. Negotiations to set a price on e-books. Agreements are made, contracts signed, and onward things go. Who was holding a gun to vendors heads and made them sign the deals? This is government overreach.

No kidding. I always love seeing a company convince others to set a standard and all of a sudden they are in the wrong. If Apple had code written in that could prevent books from certain companies (I am not a programmer, so maybe this isnt possible) and basically MADE them agree, then I dont see the issue.

Hmmm, no.

Ummm,,no. Not when those NEW contracts retroactively forced ALL OTHER venders to same terms...this is most certainly not govt over-reach. It was an attempt at market manipulation by Apple and the publishers to push UP prices.

Personally I think the government should have sued Amazon also ... they were selling the ebooks for less than they were giving to the publishers to keep the prices down ... that is illegal also but the government and consumers ignored it since they benefited from it ... Apple was trying to put the pricing control back into the hands of the publishers and break Amazon's sell at a loss model so they could more easily compete ... but it is what it is ... at least I will get a small credit from them like I got from the publishers (eventually)

BTW, if you're bored and want lulz. Go to Appleinsider and scroll right down to the comments. Classic fanboy butthurt rage.

Back