Windows 10 Upgrades Cannot Be Stopped

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this Forbes article, since there is no way to stop Windows 10 updates, Microsoft is using us all as guinea pigs.

This revelation comes as Microsoft drip feeds nuggets of information ahead of Windows 10’s July 29th release and it is sure to spark anger and frustration as awareness grows. In a nutshell all upgraders to Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro (whether free or paid) will be forced to install every feature, patch and fix Microsoft throws at them or have their security updates cut off.

Fuck that, I'll prevent the Windows Update service from running, and if that doesn't work I'll block their IP addresses.

I have auto updates disabled because I don't want to update every few days, and it makes turning on/off take longer when I am in a hurry, Of course, it also tends to want to restart when you are in the middle of something.

Looks like Pro users can delay it for hour months, which is okay, but if it forces you to auto update at an inconvenient time then you're screwed either way. I also prefer to wait and see if updates are fine. I update whenever I have the time to/feel it has been a while since I updated. I've never needed an update right away and they tend to make zero difference for me anyways.

Well... that's a deal breaker. I use my machine for work too. I can't have them fucking around with my OS like that, and I'm sure as hell not buying an enterprise version for my home machine just so they won't screw with my stuff.

Is this something they can be sued for? Like some sort of anti-trust suit? They're dictating how PCs are used now. I dunno, I'm just super pissed off at the temerity of these people.

That's the point of allowing delays on Pro. What they want to avoid is people (some IT folk who don't care about their job) who for some reason or another think they know more than Microsoft and never update, and then complain when their systems gets hacked and turned into malware turds.

As far as compatibility goes, it makes things a *lot* easier because you only have to worry about and test against the latest version of Windows 10, not the n! Matrix of software configurations because someone things patch A is ok but patch B is no good. Better both for software developers, IT administrators, and end users, which part of why I think iOS is so successful (so very few versions of the OS to care about), even though new x.0 versions have a decent chance at breaking some poorly written software.

Boom!

Well... that's a deal breaker. I use my machine for work too. I can't have them fucking around with my OS like that, and I'm sure as hell not buying an enterprise version for my home machine just so they won't screw with my stuff.

Is this something they can be sued for? Like some sort of anti-trust suit? They're dictating how PCs are used now. I dunno, I'm just super pissed off at the temerity of these people.

Home gets latest updates (as they should, end users don't know any better), those on Pro can delay for months.

I can see people on Enterprise delaying for longer because they know what they are doing, but that's not a 50 person company and don't have a full IT support staff.

MS downloads the 4Gig to your HD. Can you burn it to a DVD and install it at will? I thought I read somewhere you get that option. You have to be able to make a hard copy, things do have a tendency to turn to crapola.

We've sorta known this already. Actually I'm pretty certain there was a news post on it a while back.

That said, I don't see the problem and here is why; The only ones being absolutely forced to update are users of home edition. Let's be frank here, anyone using home edition isn't entitled to making a decision in respect to OS stability and security. Those users are the very reason why security is such a difficult thing. So I'm on board 100% with those users having forced upgrades. I cannot even begin to count the number of machines I've cleaned over the years that were years behind in updates and likely never would of been infected had they been updated. This doesn't Affect users of Pro/Enterprise in the least as they can delay those updates as they see fit. So really there is zero argument against this. Don't want forced upgrades? Then don't use Windows retard edition..simple as that.

This should work well with the reduced security disclosures policy change from a few months ago!

lol W10 is looking like the NSA's wet dream.

Some of you up above make the wrong assumption that all Home users are stupid and don't know any better so forced updates is a good thing.

The reason forced updates is bad is because some of us like to make sure Microsoft didn't mess up any of the updates (as they have done on occasion) so wait a few days to make sure they are good to go before installing.

Nothing stupid about that. I have Win8.1 Pro but just saying because I also have Win7 Home version and there is a good reason I disable auto-updates. Is Microsoft going to guarantee they won't mess up Home users PCs with a bad update? Doubtful, and they will mess up one at some point, guaranteed.

Meh. I've heard of update problems, patches being pulled, etc. I've never experienced any of them. Desktop and Laptop set to auto install updates and notify to reboot.

My work environment though... Yeah, I wait several weeks before pushing updates and even then only to a test group and rotate the test updates out to the user base.

I think it's fine as long as they can make it work as well as it does in Chrome OS, ie, smooth as butter.

No thanks. I can't have Microsoft acting like the govt. forcing crap on me and screwing up my life.
I want the freedom to have options.

The trend of having ever less control over what you think you own continues.

Updates being forced on home users is a good thing for 99.9999999999% of the users out there.

Back when I used to do onsite computer repair, almost all computers that were horribly infected were way, way, way, way, way, way behind on updates.

As for Enterprise users, this will not affect them one bit. They will continue to use WSUS and dictate when updates get pushed after testing them.

For those of you who want to wait, just disable the update service until you want to install the updates. Still seems like a bad idea to me, but if you want your systems to be insecure, more power to you.

Who thinks this shit up? Seriously!

I'm in Rarotonga for four months and the internet here costs a freaking fortune! We have 2 laptops, and an Intel NUC for media server, and all have updates disabled for this time. If all of those machines were on Windows 10 and updating then it would soon be impossible to afford internet access. Heaven forbid that microcrap push out a fat 4GB turd (*cough* win 8.1 *cough*) our finances would be in serious trouble.

I hate to think what is going to happen to people who live in places like this their entire lives, their wealth (they are pretty poor to begin with) being sucked away by microcrap updates.

Some of you up above make the wrong assumption that all Home users are stupid and don't know any better so forced updates is a good thing.

The reason forced updates is bad is because some of us like to make sure Microsoft didn't mess up any of the updates (as they have done on occasion) so wait a few days to make sure they are good to go before installing.

Nothing stupid about that. I have Win8.1 Pro but just saying because I also have Win7 Home version and there is a good reason I disable auto-updates. Is Microsoft going to guarantee they won't mess up Home users PCs with a bad update? Doubtful, and they will mess up one at some point, guaranteed.

The difference is you know better and the easy solution for you is to move all machines to Pro. It is possible that MS will screw something up, however it is far more likely that idiots with non updated machines will end up as perpetual sources of malware and botnets. As a tech I would far rather see basic users who don't know better be given no choice and the small risk of MS screwing up. Than I would the guarantee of them being the digital plagueborn they are today. There is No good reason for a basic user to be allowed to disable updates, Ever. If you aren't a basic user, then you can drop a little extra cash and upgrade to a version that gives you more control. I have 4-6 windows devices in my home at any given point. I would Never allow anything below pro on them.

People forget that most things like this are just the 'default'

If you honestly believe there is no way around things like thing, well, you probably just need to sit down with it and figure it out.

From the article: "Windows 10 beta testers users opting to be on the Fast ring get updates immediately giving them the quickest access to the newest features, while Slow ring PCs wait 2-4 weeks before installing updates so any initial bugs from the Fast ring can be ironed out."

Reading other articles from this article's author, it seems like he really, really hates Windows 10 and really, really hates Microsoft. Which makes me wonder what he's really saying when he writes stuff like this:

"So what if you still try and hold out? Versions of Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro will be cut off from Microsoft’s security patches leaving it wide open to attack. Security patches are distributed separately from CB, CBB and WSUS and without them that’s effectively a death sentence."

Security patches are distributed separately from the CB stuff?

To each its own, but I have yet to have a problem with updates. And I 've been in TI for longer than many hipsters lived

TI pros I know, myself included always apply ALL security updaates. But have to schedule the reboot and it could take weeks or even months depending on critical services

Forced updates can be avoided by those who know how. It's Joe Average User that's going to get hit by this, just as Micro$haft's copy protection/antipiracy stuff only hits Joe Average User. Screw the little guy, as always.

No thanks. I can't have Microsoft acting like the govt. forcing crap on me and screwing up my life.
I want the freedom to have options.

ZZ-fucking-Z.

Updates ruin your life? You're a fool. :rolleyes:

Stick with 7 or 8.1 until they're no longer supported. After that buy 10 or osme other OS. Personally, I have no problem with forcing security updates. I'm a bit more skeptical of the other updates, but we'll see how it goes. I can always stick with 8.1 till 2023 (but i'll almost certainly switch to Windows 10 by the end of the year, at the latest).

That's the point of allowing delays on Pro. What they want to avoid is people (some IT folk who don't care about their job) who for some reason or another think they know more than Microsoft and never update, and then complain when their systems gets hacked and turned into malware turds.

As far as compatibility goes, it makes things a *lot* easier because you only have to worry about and test against the latest version of Windows 10, not the n! Matrix of software configurations because someone things patch A is ok but patch B is no good. Better both for software developers, IT administrators, and end users, which part of why I think iOS is so successful (so very few versions of the OS to care about), even though new x.0 versions have a decent chance at breaking some poorly written software.

Boom!

This^

the "every feature" is the scariest part.

YOU MUST UPDATE TO BING, ALL YOUR ADS ARE OURS!!!

Hater will always hate, cry for change but then cry they get change. They will never be happy.

Been running windows 10, LOVE IT. You want to stick with Windows 7 go ahead your loss really. From an IT prospective as people have said before this is a fantastic move, one OS for all. Bad and lazy companies don't patch or update systems.

I have auto updates disabled because I don't want to update every few days, and it makes turning on/off take longer when I am in a hurry, Of course, it also tends to want to restart when you are in the middle of something.

Or you can disable the restart.. nagging on Microsoft for user not knowing to properly configure their settings is a bit erm yeah
My win7 automatic download and installs updates and gives a message, but does not autorestart.
and i really don't see the issues with a slow turn off time. I'm assuming you didn't need to use the PC for anything since you turned it off.

Only valid point is that it will take a few 10's of extra seconds to start up hardly and annoying compared to manually downlaodn and updating etc or living with a buggy system.

Easy way to stop the updates just disconnect your computer from the internet :-D

We've sorta known this already. Actually I'm pretty certain there was a news post on it a while back.

That said, I don't see the problem and here is why; The only ones being absolutely forced to update are users of home edition. Let's be frank here, anyone using home edition isn't entitled to making a decision in respect to OS stability and security. Those users are the very reason why security is such a difficult thing. So I'm on board 100% with those users having forced upgrades. I cannot even begin to count the number of machines I've cleaned over the years that were years behind in updates and likely never would of been infected had they been updated. This doesn't Affect users of Pro/Enterprise in the least as they can delay those updates as they see fit. So really there is zero argument against this. Don't want forced upgrades? Then don't use Windows retard edition..simple as that.

Typical 'its not a problem for me' mentality. I have a Surface 3, it came with a non pro version. TO avoid updates i have to give MS $100 to allow me the privilege of deferring them. Please slow your roll on determining who is and isnt a power user by the OS they use.

Hater will always hate, cry for change but then cry they get change. They will never be happy.

Been running windows 10, LOVE IT. You want to stick with Windows 7 go ahead your loss really. From an IT prospective as people have said before this is a fantastic move, one OS for all. Bad and lazy companies don't patch or update systems.

I work in IT and can tell you nobody I work/deal with including vendors has said any such thing. Windows 7 wasn't one OS...WTF?

Though I'm not a fan of ultra-control by corporations, I very much agree with this.

I've built a fair number of computer systems for a few dozen people. They know their software inside and out (3D software, accounting, etc), but going outside of their software forte, they have little to no idea how to protect, fix, repair, etc. It seemed like half of the "power users" would send back their system after a year for a "tune up", which was only me removing 500+ malware and viruses off their system.

Having an operating system that is forced to update might be a good thing.

As long as those "forced updates" don't do something like BSOD a bunch of machines or put them into endless reboot cycles it will be fine.

Cause, its not like that's ever happened with the strict MS testing that seems to go on with their patches. ;)

My fear is more the shitty MS quality control that puts out buggy updates in the first place.

Though I'm not a fan of ultra-control by corporations, I very much agree with this.

I've built a fair number of computer systems for a few dozen people. They know their software inside and out (3D software, accounting, etc), but going outside of their software forte, they have little to no idea how to protect, fix, repair, etc. It seemed like half of the "power users" would send back their system after a year for a "tune up", which was only me removing 500+ malware and viruses off their system.

Having an operating system that is forced to update might be a good thing.

Oh hech yes. Home users are notorious for not installing updates. Of course we as IT people deserve some of the blame ourselves. Our employees, customers, family members, etc. are taught (by us) to never click on anything they don't understand or think they need. Instead of calling for help or guidance they just leave the notifications sitting in the system tray.

Good, I can only hope this means less calls to fix my family's/family friends/ co-workers computers because they downloaded God knows what.

If you don't like it, then don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you and you aren't entitled to it. Windows 7 home support goes until 2020 last I checked.

If you have bandwidth issues by 2020, you will be in the small minority. In which case, sucks to be you.

Back