World's First Commercial Jetpack Set For 2016 Launch

HardOCP News

[H] News
I wonder how much training you get for $150,000? I mean, it's not like you can buy one of these and then go to a jetpack flying school.

The Martin Jetpack has been developed over the past 35 years, the dream of then university student, New Zealander Glenn Martin. Tests in New Zealand of the initial prototype in 2011 saw the manned jetpack successfully fly at least 1,000 meters off the ground before landing via parachute.

"jet" it is not. More like duct fan.

And the video was lame not showing it in extended use with a human pilot onboard.

That would be a great commute, but I don't know if it would be able to make the 3 miles I am from work, and that's a straight shot, not going by roads.

Um, the term "Jetpack" to me means something resembling a backpack or larger strapped on your back, not a Ford pinto with huge fan blades that you strap into?
And, where is the "Jet" portion?

If anyone wants to know why there's no jetpacks or flying cars today, it's because they're giant tanks of fuel that's being flown by the idiots who cut you off on the highway and drive drunk on weekends. We're so anal we're regulating Quad Flyer's cause we're afraid to die from an Amazon delivery.

Not even with self driving technology we'll we ever do this. Why? To commute faster to work? If we are ever to fly it'll be through genetic engineering that'll give use wings. It's practical and if you fall from the sky you just die. Not a napalm bomb that dropped from the sky cause of a jetpack.

They're marketing it to the right crowd. It's not likely to be a consumer product anytime soon.

Seems more like a small personal aircraft to me rather than a "jetpack".

Ok..so..

Most of the video was stupid bullshit that had nothing at all to do with the jetpack. The rest was green screen garbage and not actual manned flight, with a short bit of extremely controlled unmanned "hovering". I'm pretty sure i could accomplish the same thing for a whole hell of a lot less money. Let me know when they demonstrate an actual working product, not the same "promises" we've had for 30+ years without any actual sign of progress.

Can it really be called a jet pack? Seems more like an open cockpit ultra-light aircraft, since you do no steering with your body with legs dangling around jetpack style, and there's no "jet" portion at all. I think the closest thing to a jetpack was that skydiver with the wing/parachute deal that had micro-jet engines on each side... although I think it "fell" more than flew, as I don't think it had enough thrust for extended level flight.

I think a couple of heavy RC enthusiasts and a guy that builds small homebuilt aircraft could get drunk and come up with that inside six months. I'm sure they had to invent a lot of it from scratch in the course of "35 years" of development, but I'm not seeing any tech that isn't fairly commonplace these days.

An no jets, goobers. It's a manned fan lifting platform.

I could see, 20, 30 years from now, somewhat larger enclosed versions of this running self piloting software being used for commutes and such. If any visionaries are reading this, I want my 1%.

green screen bullshit

if it has "thousands of hours" of test flight why none in the video?

embarrassing

Can it really be called a jet pack? Seems more like an open cockpit ultra-light aircraft, since you do no steering with your body with legs dangling around jetpack style, and there's no "jet" portion at all. I think the closest thing to a jetpack was that skydiver with the wing/parachute deal that had micro-jet engines on each side... although I think it "fell" more than flew, as I don't think it had enough thrust for extended level flight.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNmnain-pmE

I'm mostly planning to watch The Rocketeer non-stop for the next six months. I think that should be pretty good.

RELATED NOTE: Do you think it comes with a helmet with a fin on it? According to the above mentioned documentary, that is essential for steering a jetpack.

Glad to see other commenters also noticed that there were only a few seconds of actual shots of this creation (More of a strap on Helicopter, than a Jet Pack?) in flight, where you can see the whole airframe, and be sure it isn't tethered, or on the ground?

Would have thought more of it's performance capabilities, if they had actually shown any?

Maybe, sometime when they have more confidence in their own product, and show us what it can do, if anything, then I will think more of it too?

I am sorry, I can't see any use-case for this that can't be solved better, faster, and cheaper by using a drone instead.

Back