End all driver sux thread: Intel, AMD, NVIDIA, Matrox can all DIAF, humanity doomed

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
I've had NVIDIA cards.
I've had Intel-accelerated graphics.
I've had AMD cards.
I've tried Matrox.
I've tried Voodoo.
I've tried fresh installs of OS of every flavor, every architecture, Windows, Linux, Mac, 32-bit, 64-bit
I've tried every version of driver

They can all just DIAF, humanity is doomed, drivers are impossible to create and program, endless perpetual suckage of fail

Nobody is better than anyone else! AMD is not better than Intel, NVIDIA, Matrox, or all others; likewise the same to Intel, NVIDIA, Matrox, and all others individually! They all suck equally!

:D

There, it has been said. Now rest in peace knowing drivers regardless of what card or brand of graphics acceleration will never work problem-free and properly.

:)

You have never experienced true driver horror - that came from Rendition.

All other drivers are golden.

Last edited:
I hated the dumb ass message that I used to get from my Nvidia GTX 460's in SLi.

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

It would say that and reset my display over and over and over and over and over again. Of course the game I was playing would crash, but I had to be damn quick to close it before the driver recovered again and reset my mouse and open windows.

OMG who remembers the nvcpl.dll or something crash. All I remember was it was an Nvidia .dll. That crap would cycle the display endlessly. I so despised whomever thought it was a good idea to cycle the display endlessly. Who wrote that crap!

On the AMD side I remember being able to play BF3 with frame rates smoother than a babies bottom. But if I moused over a Flash ad or was suicidal enough to click a Youtube link; it would blue screen. I could run 3DMark, Heaven benchmark, Catzilla, etc all day without an issue. Accidentally mouse over an Flash advertisement and the computer would start collecting data for a crash report.. :(

The most recent batch of Nvidia drivers have been by far some of the worst I've seen since the AMD Catalyst 11.x era. Long story short everything sucks :p

Worst was creative drivers.

The $200 Asus Phoebus has drivers that couldn't play music from the XBOX Music app or Netflix because Asus skipped developing a WHQL driver for Windows 8.1. I guess the OS isn't popular enough. They still isn't a working WHQL driver 3 or 4 years later. Asus gave the owners their own forum to bitch about it to since the support is so bad. Take a glance into that forum. See how many positive Asus Phoebus threads there are. We have features that are outlined on the box art that have never been implemented on the card over 3 years after launch!

Support for gaming with the Phoebus under Windows 8.1 is so bad that I was writing bad reviews for games on Steam denouncing them for not having working sound. Other Steam users would talk smack about my reviews and say that I was an idiot. Then I bought a SoundBlaster Zx and discovered that all those games had perfectly fine sound. I felt like the gum on the bottom of your shoe and retracted all of my bad reviews about broken sound on Steam. Most embarrassing thing ever!

Did you ever have an ATI Rage Pro? I did, the drivers were so bad that not only did they crash in a lot of games, they also just refused to render certain effects. So sometimes you'd play a game that would run fine, but the fog or lighting or something else would either render wrong or not at all. OpenGL performance was only usable in Quake 2, everything else crashed or was unusable.

More recently, I have an ASUS Xonar DSX. Not only does it cause my system to not cold boot properly half the time, it also doesn't sound any better than the onboard sound and the drivers are flaky as hell. After about a week I took the card out and whipped it out the window, who knows where that thing is now. No one makes a decent sound card anymore. Even Creative is just slapping a codec on a card. Without that sweet hardware they used to make all you get is the terrible drivers. I don't know how but I haven't had many problems with Realtek's integrated sound codecs so now that's what I buy. I will literally refuse to buy a motherboard if it doesn't have a Realtek codec.

Worst was creative drivers.

Was? IS! I have a ZXR and this thing has the worse interface I have ever seen. Don't even get my started on the power failure where I have to disconnect my PSU in order to refresh the card and get power to the damn thing. Damn soundcard monopolies..

Nvidia - BSOD more than I can count and the Geforce Experience is a terrible one. Some updates do more harm than good.
AMD - Ugly interface, slow updates, wish they would focus on crossfire and day 1 game improvements more.

OP: you forgot to include screw drivers, golf drivers and vehicle drivers

I also remember Athlon XP having shit chipset drivers initially or Riva TNT 2. Holy crap. This thread gives me the shivers. I am out.

shame about Matrox i had high hopes back then

They pretty much lost as soon as they made the decision to go tiled rendering.

I was pissed, the Mistique 220 was a decent card and i was excited to see their followup the Parhelia, wich stunk.

oh god, those were awful.

constant BSODs by the kernel.
constant sound looping.
Weren't compatible will lots of stuff.

Not to mention that when someone in the community went and modified the drivers to restore a bunch of lost functionality on cards like the Audigy 2 Creative sent them a cease and desist. Boy I'm glad I don't have to buy stuff from them any more.

Rendition was the worst I have ever used. Bought a Verite 2100/2200, played GLquake for about 45 minutes with mass stuttering, rendering errors, and a few CTD's. Opened the chassis, removed it, put it back in the box, and took it back for a refund the same day.

I never had a problem with Voodoo/GLide drivers.

Today, my opinion for the best choice based on drivers is...

Mobile:
Intel or AMD

Gaming Desktop:
NVidia

Multi-GPU:
NVidia

Professional/Workstation:
AMD or NVidia, especially with true Double Precision/FP64 capability.

I just recently ordered a Creative ZxR sound card, which creative promised there will be a Win10 driver by the end of July. They'd better not screw this up. :mad:

This is the truthiest thread I've seen here in a long time.

I tend to hate niche gear that never ever gets driver updates. Like pro audio interfaces that might have a decent driver for [current version of Windows], but when [next version of Windows] comes out, you're SOL and either stuck using an outdated OS, or hacking together some half-baked solution to keep your gear running. I'm excited for Windows 10, but I'm not excited to see what gear of mine gets left out in the cold by lazy manufacturers that refuse to release an updated and compatible driver.

I had a scanner that had perfectly fine Windows 2000 drivers, but never had any driver released for Windows XP. So, yeah, you could pull some tricks to make it work, but it was always an iffy proposition, and it just kinda turned me off to their entire brand.

I just recently ordered a Creative ZxR sound card, which creative promised there will be a Win10 driver by the end of July. They'd better not screw this up. :mad:

Ha! Don't hold your breath. I'm still waiting for proper Windows 7 drivers from Creative for my 6+ years old Creative card! I should throw the thing into the rubbish heap after all this time. Creative blames Microsoft, Microsoft blames Creative. Have Daniel K to thank for writing drivers that actually work. We've all ranted and fumed on the 10 TP forums but to no avail so far. Sounds like Vista all over again. I think Creative drivers rank amongst the world's worst to this point but there is always hope. I do like their hardware when it works.

I've had NVIDIA cards.
I've had Intel-accelerated graphics.
I've had AMD cards.
I've tried Matrox.
I've tried Voodoo.
I've tried fresh installs of OS of every flavor, every architecture, Windows, Linux, Mac, 32-bit, 64-bit
I've tried every version of driver

They can all just DIAF, humanity is doomed, drivers are impossible to create and program, endless perpetual suckage of fail

Nobody is better than anyone else! AMD is not better than Intel, NVIDIA, Matrox, or all others; likewise the same to Intel, NVIDIA, Matrox, and all others individually! They all suck equally!

:D

There, it has been said. Now rest in peace knowing drivers regardless of what card or brand of graphics acceleration will never work problem-free and properly.

:)

dat voodoo 2 in sli

Back