The best 27" all purpose monitor, with a gaming focus, regarless of cost.

Azzkiker

Limp Gawd
What are the best 27" monitors for all around use, with a gaming focus?

I'm on an old Samsung T260HD, and it's time to upgrade. I'd like either freesync, or g-sync, and higher refresh rates... I've got not problem switching video cards if needed. I play all kinds of games, FPS, RPG etc...

It's a bit tough to decipher all the reviews out there... TN sucks, IPS rocks, IPS sucks for gaming, IPS glow ruins dark games, TN has shitty color... blah blah blah.

I've been looking at BenQxl2730, Asus mg279q, rog swift pg278q, etc... I want to minimize eye strain on the desktop, but still enjoy gaming and experience a new level of quality.

Can someone narrow this stuff down.

Last edited:
If you want to minimize eye strain, https://justgetflux.com/

No monitor out there will really do it. I have flux turned onto its lowest setting 24/7 now. Bit weird at first, but you get used to it.

I use an RoG Swift personally. But none of these other competitors were out back then, so I'll leave that discussion to people more up to date with these things.

BenQxl2730 is the choice I recently made after hours of reviews and research. It's due to be here soon.

Thanks for the replies gents. I've read the reviews on those sites...

The problem I have is not being an Uber monitor enthusiast, it's hard to know whether the lay person (me) will even notice the differences between these high-end models.

To get a proper reply you will need to elaborate on what meaning do you put in "all purpose monitor". More importantly - is professional photo-editing critical? Wide-gamut?

Acer Predator IPS 144hz with Gsync is hands down the best all around monitor at this moment.

June builds are in stock at newegg, they pretty much perfected the panel at this moment, except the IPS glow which is normal for this monitor to have due to light AG coating.

Thanks TroyX,

I'm going to wait until FuryX is released, and then it's either the Predator if I switch to Nvidia, or a toss up between the BenQxl2730 or the Asus MG279Q.

Thanks all!

Acer Predator IPS 144hz with Gsync is hands down the best all around monitor at this moment.

June builds are in stock at newegg, they pretty much perfected the panel at this moment, except the IPS glow which is normal for this monitor to have due to light AG coating.
What coating has to do with IPS-glow?

???

You need to figure out if 144hz is really needed or not -> do you mainly play FPS or MMOs?

IMO, you're not going to benefit much from 144 Hz and a G-Sync monitor, and you're better off getting an IPS panel. It seems like money is no issue for you though so why not get one of each?

You need to figure out if 144hz is really needed or not -> do you mainly play FPS or MMOs?

high refresh rate benefits all usage scenarios, not only gaming. a 120Hz-144hz monitor is more comfortable to look at than a similar 60Hz. :cool:

I just picked up the XB270HU the other day (yesterday). I heard there was a bit of a panel lottery and some people had to go through multiple replacements. I lucked out, and the panel i got was flawless...also surprisingly uniform.

Very happy with it thus far.

The Swift is Great you might want the IPS version or the 165hz version though I think it has blue light reduction.

It's already released. It's just back ordered on Newegg and Amazon because it's very popular. Good luck with the panel lottery.

It's already released. It's just back ordered on Newegg and Amazon because it's very popular. Good luck with the panel lottery.

its never been on amazon. I have the page wishlisted and its been unavailable ever since i added it. Unless there are several pages...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017EVR2VM...TF8&colid=2EKNW43BVT70W&coliid=I3R9W590HFTUDE

when i search i dont find any other amazon page so please let me know if there is another amazon product page.

only 2 places on froogle show up (yes i refuse to not call it froogle...froogle.com url still works :D It was dead at one point but google brought it back :D)
http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?2256480_g10e
http://www.neobits.com/asus_pg279q_...html?atc=gbp&gclid=CK3vzvyYjMkCFRCqaQodkrsBbQ

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
@OP:
XL2720Z might be worth a shot, especially since it has all these really cool firmware bugs that let you lower strobe crosstalk and remove all of that HORRIBLE AMA overdrive ghosting the benq models were...ahem...."famous" for....

This thread really needs to die.

It was necro'd the other day when someone tried to post ads for a monitor review site using a new account.

Everything that has been posted since the necro is already being discussed in respective threads (PG279Q,Acer x34, etc...)

Back