Xbox One Backward Compatibility Explained

HardOCP News

[H] News
Here's a little insight into just how Microsoft is pulling off its Xbox One backward compatibility.

If it's actually emulation, why are you calling it backward compatibility?

We call it backward compatibility because gamers can play select Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One. However, referring to this functionality as an emulator is more accurate from a technology perspective since the Xbox One is not technically reading and playing the 360 game off of a disc.

Which means that Microsoft reserves the means to have official 360 emulation made available for PC. Will an official emulator ever come to the PC? I doubt it.

Microsoft can reserve my ass. The Xenia emulator is open source. Their emulator will likely be specialized for certain games. Their emulator requires you to download the game, not that Xenia actually has a better solution.

Previously, you said back compat wasn't possible on Xbox One. How is it possible now?

We didn't know if we could do it, but we were inspired by our fans, and thanks to the dedication and determination of a group of brilliant engineers in our platform team who developed Xbox One Backward Compatibility, we made the impossible, possible.

Brother, marketing people say the lamest stuff.

Only the more popular games will most likely be converted.

Which means that Microsoft reserves the means to have official 360 emulation made available for PC. Will an official emulator ever come to the PC? I doubt it.

Until DX12, you'll never see a quality PS3/Xbox 360 emulator on the PC. Well, I guess they could always write it with vendor specific OpenGL.

Microsoft can reserve my ass. The Xenia emulator is open source. Their emulator will likely be specialized for certain games. Their emulator requires you to download the game, not that Xenia actually has a better solution.

Do you mean the Xenia emulator requires you to download the games? Because the XBone emulator works fine from a 360 game disc, though the library is incredibly limited right now.

Do you mean the Xenia emulator requires you to download the games? Because the XBone emulator works fine from a 360 game disc, though the library is incredibly limited right now.

Which Xbone emulator are you referring to?
The one that was announced doesn't play from the disc, disc is just the DRM, the game is downloaded from Xbox's servers to your Xbone, then you play the downloaded game.
You just need to insert the game disc every time you want to play.

I'm really glad to see this, since there are some games that I don't want to give up on the 360, but I'd rather get rid of the box (Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and some XBLA games, mostly)

Hopefully, Guardian Heroes makes the cut. Seems like a simple game.

in the words of louis ck ITS AMAZING... all the ungrateful e3 shits lol.

anywho is there a list yet? i really want ikaruga

so fare like 25 games on the list and no one cares lol.

All the games i play won't be on the emulated list cause i'm weird.. mlb2k13, Marvel ultimate alliance and marvel vs capcom....

Between the glut of "remasters" and now the re-focusing on old games, is it just me or does this current gen of consoles not have a whole lot NEW to talk about, so has to resort to "remember when"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhTuYKR-ejo

So what. More games are more games. Just one more reason to switch to XBone if you have a significant 360 game library and was reluctant to upgrade to the new generation.

Also, one more reason to go with XBone instead of PS4.

I laugh at the Microsoft haters. This was an awesome move, get over it.

I really hope they work on this list a bit...

This really isnt a very impressive launch list IMO. I know it will improve but seriously, hexic??? lol I played that on my zune back in the day, thank god the the xbox has enough cpu to emulate and play that one

Initial preview titles with more to come. Games are subject to change.

A Kingdom for Keflings
A World of Keflings
Alien Hominid HD
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
BattleBlock Theater
Defense Grid
Geometry Wars Evolved
Hexic HD
Jetpac Refuelled
Kameo
Mass Effect
N+
Perfect Dark
Perfect Dark Zero
Small Arms
Super Meat Boy
Toy Soldiers
Toy Soldiers: Cold War
Viva Piñata
Viva Piñata: TIP
Zuma

The titles are only the tip of the iceberg. The companies that intend to release their games need to make sure that all the rights holders have signed off. In this shitty day and age of Licensing Agreements this only means some companies can release games for only so long before the rights revert back to the original holder. In theory most of MS' first party games they own heart and soul and can release without too much of a problem (I'm guessing music tracks are going to be dicey). Smaller 3rd party games? Not so simple, and any dev that is out of business (Pandemic, Silicon Knights, etc.) you can kiss those games off from ever coming to the XB1.

The process is PROBABLY (assuming heavily) fairly simple as the game assets are on the discs themselves or if they are available for digital download MS is packaging the game with a wrapper just like a published app for deployment. A container if you will (Azure image? Docker?) to play the game all inside it's own little world with links out to the XB1 hardware.

This is fantastic news as I have 3 whole shelves full of games I'd love to play and ditch my old 360s and only use the XB1.

Im wildly impressed they are managing to emulate that PPC processor on those little Jaguar cores.

The titles are only the tip of the iceberg. The companies that intend to release their games need to make sure that all the rights holders have signed off. In this shitty day and age of Licensing Agreements this only means some companies can release games for only so long before the rights revert back to the original holder. In theory most of MS' first party games they own heart and soul and can release without too much of a problem (I'm guessing music tracks are going to be dicey). Smaller 3rd party games? Not so simple, and any dev that is out of business (Pandemic, Silicon Knights, etc.) you can kiss those games off from ever coming to the XB1.

The process is PROBABLY (assuming heavily) fairly simple as the game assets are on the discs themselves or if they are available for digital download MS is packaging the game with a wrapper just like a published app for deployment. A container if you will (Azure image? Docker?) to play the game all inside it's own little world with links out to the XB1 hardware.

This is fantastic news as I have 3 whole shelves full of games I'd love to play and ditch my old 360s and only use the XB1.

Agreed. It seems from their explanation that the games will be digital downloads from the live servers and the disc will be used just as a DRM check. This does make sense as many games will require patches for this and I can see eventually them opening the xbox360 store within the xboxone as they did previous gen.

Only the more popular games will most likely be converted.

All first party titles, and any third party titles they reach an agreement with. This is on an early release for people in the preview program which I personally am not. When this really launches later in the year there will be over 100 titles working with this model. I'm sure many titles most will want to play will be available. I see this as a plus, even if you can't have every game, it's like having a an extra library of games on reserve. At least once you have the game downloaded, it is yours digitally forever.

Im wildly impressed they are managing to emulate that PPC processor on those little Jaguar cores.

Yeah don't forget they are 3-core 3.2Ghz hyer threaded PPC cores -- all on a bunch of 1.6Ghz(?) Jaguar cores? That is actually pretty impressive honestly...

At least once you have the game downloaded, it is yours digitally forever.

"Forever" as long as you hold onto the original 360 disc. The game won't launch without it in the drive.

Anyhow, with all the constant "remasters" and now this, it just seems like this console gen is making a lot of excuses for not really having many new games worth a damn.

Not exciting in the slightest. Playing old games on last gen console isn't like playing old games on PC. You're still going to be playing a low resolution sup 720p game, yuck.

"Forever" as long as you hold onto the original 360 disc. The game won't launch without it in the drive.

Anyhow, with all the constant "remasters" and now this, it just seems like this console gen is making a lot of excuses for not really having many new games worth a damn.

Maybe this will cut back on the remasters? Yea probably not lol. There has been quite the outcry from what I have seen for previous gen games on current gen systems. Can't blame fault them as this only adds to the console with nothing negative I can foresee.

Gamestop is shitting all over themselves to now be able to sell all those old copies of Viva Pinata finally.

Probably not, you probably download a translated version of the game. They probably disassemble original code and simulate what it does with new assembly code for the new processor.

Certain compilers may create tell-tale tags which cleanly demark subroutines which would make reversing the machine code and re-assembling it easier.

Back