Twitter Advertisers Targeting You Based On The Other Apps On Your Phone

HardOCP News

[H] News
First of all, I wish someone at Twitter could explain to me how this would be something anyone wants. Secondly, why should Twitter advertisers know what apps I have installed on my phone? Hell, why should Twitter know?

We’re excited to introduce installed app category targeting: a new tool that enables app advertisers to reach users based on the categories of apps they have installed on their device, or in which we think they have interest. One of the biggest priorities for mobile app marketers is to reach the people who are most likely to use and love their apps. Today’s launch is the next step in our journey to help these advertisers connect with the right customers on Twitter - while providing users with the most relevant and useful ad content.

I've removed the Twitter app from my phone and that of my wife and daughter.

There is no need for either Twitter or it's advertisers to know and disseminate the contents of phones whether it's the apps or other data contained therein!

THEY need to get a clue! What's on my phone is mine NOT theirs to use as I see fit!

I opened a facebook account only to keep track of my daughter then it was a twitter for the same thing. She is now 19 so twitter is deleted, facebook has been handy to keep track and organize the kids group from church. I think it is time to delete everything but the weather app as that is a very usefull tool for me.

I miss the days when you needed to get up to change the channel on the TV, you only need the M*A*S*H channel any ways, everything else is crap. Guess I'm getting a case of sensory overload, back to the woods for me.

I don't think I've ever used Twitter's official app, I've always used 3rd-party Twitter apps on my Droid. The official app always seems to either be behind in features or just annoying.

Well Google already does this with all their apps now, so it's kinda natural for other companies to follow Google's example...

Well Google already does this with all their apps now, so it's kinda natural for other companies to follow Google's example...

yeah but without Google you have no operating system, so we take the abuse. But fuck these 3rd party companies wanting the same level of insight. What little their app provides is not worth the trade off. I too have always used 3rd party tools for Twitter, and then one day I installed Twitter for some reason. It was uninstalled in about 15 minutes after I saw what it was doing. It was literally laugh-out-loud hilarious how shitty and invasive of an app it was.

Is it time to make a CreepyUncleTwitter screen name?

So what happens if you're kind of non-technical and you get a preinstalled Twitter app? Is there an option to opt out for people like that who aren't going to load a custom ROM where only Google (plus apps you install yourself) spy on you?

yeah but without Google you have no operating system, so we take the abuse. But fuck these 3rd party companies wanting the same level of insight. What little their app provides is not worth the trade off. I too have always used 3rd party tools for Twitter, and then one day I installed Twitter for some reason. It was uninstalled in about 15 minutes after I saw what it was doing. It was literally laugh-out-loud hilarious how shitty and invasive of an app it was.

I agree, but look at most recognized brand name apps (indie noname apps are scary now)... Facebook of coarse is rediculous, but even other apps like yahoo (if you want to install it for some bizarre reason), then games like Hearthstone, anything from Amazon...etc...

All have ridiculous amounts of permissions. We can single out Twitter sure, but they are a drop in the bucket now compared to how much pretty much most apps now crave access to your personal information.

I've never had the Twitter app installed on any of the smart phones I've owned. Even though it was tempting to tweet, "I'm tweeting to you live from the porcelain studio! I got plop. You got plop? Let's invest in plop!"

This is why my Pocket Computer gets very few apps installed. I cant stand the insane liberties that mobile devs take.

Back