Valve Is ‘Not Exhibiting’ At E3

HardOCP News

[H] News
Damn, no Half Life 3 announcement at E3 this year. I am so disappointed.

Don’t expect any hands-on reports with Valve products from the Electronic Entertainment Expo trade show. The company isn’t planning to have a presence at the show. The Half-Life and Steam company has told GamesBeat that it is not taking meetings for its upcoming products like the HTC Vive at E3, which begins in a little over a week in Los Angeles.

I can't believe how well tf2 has aged. Anywho... i remember waiting and reading every tidbit on tf2 and everyone saying "valve is dead its been sooo many years" then it was released! I'm hoping the same occurs with hl3.

It could be they are waiting for a next gen type high quality engine to emerge so it can last another 10 years.

Its pretty pathetic how Valve are literally shitting on the half life fanbase. Episodic content was a total joke and took forever to come out, then the final straw was leaving us on a massive cliff hanger that's still unresolved almost 8 years later.

And their whole "if we feel like it" attitude completely stinks. A while ago i remember listening to one of their programmers talking about team fortress 2 updates for the xbox 360, and basically all he could say was "its a lot of work" (last i checked that's what they get paid for) and that was essentially the reason the console versions never got updated to the same level as the pc version.

Theyre just too busy wanking off over this steam box concept and basically being a content platform, game development quite clearly takes a far lower priority these days as they've got a ton of money in the bank.

Just think its almost ELEVEN years since HL2 came out and almost EIGHT years since episode 2. Seems to me we've still got along wait in store IF they ever get their thumb out and start making HL3.

half life: 1998
team fortress 2: 2007

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YEAAAA hopefully within a year we will get news on hl3 or tf2 (every 9-10 years). I will not want it out before fo4!

To clarify, I know he is being genuine about Valve not having a presence. I just wonder if his 'disappointment' is genuine or if he's being sarcastic.

Sad to see this. Valve used to do no wrong but they really just seem to have lost their way or something.

hl3 will be out when they release steambox and OS it will be the first Linux based game i bet :D

Why would they need to exhibit at E3? Steam is 99% of their product line and everyone already has it.

I imagine Gabe is like a queen who is never pleased, concluding each meeting with "off with it's head!" he is probably just not interested in games anymore because he is depressed or something. he needs the equivalent of MJs "Remember The Time" to get him back to his regular self... not sure what form that would take, probably not a smooth dancing hamburger but who knows?!

As much as people complain about the lack of H3 isn't the linear story based shooter (like the Bioshock and Half Life and Doom series) a more limited market now ... they require a lot of resources to produce but they have a fraction of the audience of the multiplayer shooters or open world franchises ... Perhaps Valve is considering ways to turn Half Life into a GTA/Far Cry/Fallout style game (which would likely be far more profitable) :D

Gabe is waiting for Source 3 to take graphics and immersion to the next level...VR-5 type of reality

I don't understand Valve at this point. HL3 & TF3 would be an enormous money maker, I don't understand why they are not doing it. It's like a river bed 35 ft from my house has gold all in it and I don't go down and dig for it because I can't find my shoes.

I don't understand Valve at this point. HL3 & TF3 would be an enormous money maker, I don't understand why they are not doing it. It's like a river bed 35 ft from my house has gold all in it and I don't go down and dig for it because I can't find my shoes.

Seriously. You're not freaking J.D. Salinger; your fans want HL3, give them HL3!

Could really care less about Valve for the most part. I don't even use Steam anymore...been using Origin or Blizzard's launcher for most of the games I play now. Given, if they released an awesome new L4D or HL3, I would come crawling back like a whipped puppy. But at this point, they're just pissing me off.

I'm pretty much fed up with Valve, every year I'm like this is the year but it's always a let down. Jesus Christ it's been like 10 years.

Sad to see this. Valve used to do no wrong but they really just seem to have lost their way or something.

Valve is a publisher/retailer now. That's what they are, and they make a lot of money off of it.

People mourn the fact that they used to be a widely loved developer of games as well, which they are not really.

Best case, one can argue that they are still a developer, but they don't have any teams or management that cares enough about HL to do something, nor is willing to let it go and be someone else's baby.

If we ever do see HL3, at this point I am willing to bet that it is a steambox exclusive, and then the shit will REALLY hit the fan.

If you were raking in as much money from Steam as a distribution platform as Valve does you would understand better.
It's more like panning for gold out back while trucks are pulling up in your driveway every day dropping off pallets of cash. You could go make a little more with a lot more work, or you could be happy making more money than you will ever need while doing nothing.

Valve cornered the digital game distribution market early on, and thanks to aggressive pricing and a volume-sales model they have been difficult to unseat. GOG is coming on strong though. The recent Steam return policy changes are a direct result of GOG competition.

If you were raking in as much money from Steam as a distribution platform as Valve does you would understand better.
It's more like panning for gold out back while trucks are pulling up in your driveway every day dropping off pallets of cash. You could go make a little more with a lot more work, or you could be happy making more money than you will ever need while doing nothing.
But with these truckloads of cash you'd have the capital to get some really nice gold-mining equipment. And with this gold you could then build a badass gold statue in the likeness of Gordon Freeman.

I am basically done with Half-Life and Valve as a whole. In my opinion the combine ported in, destroyed aperture science, slaughtered the resistance and took the humans as slaves. The combine are our new overlords and slowly reintegrated with society. That combines name? Gabe Newell. Half-Life 1 and 2 was just a historical reenactment of Breen aka Gabes takeover. Steam is just their indoctrination device, we are all slaves to their sales. The resistance have started to form, "Origin, GOG, Uplay". Join them!

No matter how popular Half Life is, it's a single player game, and the kind of money to be made from selling such a game will never be as huge as what Valve is making from Steam, or their online games such as DOTA 2. Have you seen the DOTA 2 prize pool, 12.8 million USD. That is 25% off the total compendium sales. Which means the community have spent almost 50 million on purchasing compendium, for this year. Of course Valve takes lesser than that once you take out the prize and the cost of hosting the championship, but that is still a lot of money to be made on an annual basis for a single game.

But anyway, Gabe has said in a interview posted in another thread some months ago, where they will not use their existing franchise just for the sake of making another game. What they will be doing is to work on a project (like VR for example), and they will look for a suitable franchise to go along with this new technology they are developing.

So for example, once their VR is ready, they will probably release a new game to showcast this VR tech. Another possibility is Source 2 engine, Valve will need one or more popular franchise to show off Source 2 capabilities.

This is what I think most people are missing. Valve is no longer in the same position as other game companies where they rely solely on selling games. So they don't make games for the sake of having just another one. They are doing other stuff such as Steam, Steam OS, Source 2 engine, VR, etc. Their game franchises will be use to complement these stuff.

So they're not exhibiting anything because they're hard at work on HL3.

HL3 confirmed!

Sorry, couldn't resist
3635022.jpg

No fucks given about Valve these days. I simply use their platform to store my games, nothing more.

Steam is a great platform for game delivery, Valve as a software developer sucks.

Funny how people have a financial interaction with someone they think they are their slave afterwards or something and they think its theirs after that.

Widespread unrealistic sense of self importance leading to societial breakdown in 10-20 years I gather.

Valve has been too successful and made way too much money to do any real work or give a shit at this point.

Singleplayer games still make money, potentially lots. Assuming that Witcher 3 sold at full retail (terrible assumption, but for illustrative purposes), CDPR had $240,000,000 net sales in 2 weeks. GTA V, which has lackluster multiplayer now, took 3 days to a billion. If Valve got off it's fat ass before they lost all support they could have seen a huge return. It's getting unlikely now as much of the core audience for HL has moved on and the kids wouldn't have a clue.

Singleplayer games still make money, potentially lots. Assuming that Witcher 3 sold at full retail (terrible assumption, but for illustrative purposes), CDPR had $240,000,000 net sales in 2 weeks. GTA V, which has lackluster multiplayer now, took 3 days to a billion. If Valve got off it's fat ass before they lost all support they could have seen a huge return. It's getting unlikely now as much of the core audience for HL has moved on and the kids wouldn't have a clue.

Those are all open world single player games ... wasn't Half Life more of story based linear game (it's been a LONG time since I played it) ... also, these days the money isn't in the game but in the engine ... perhaps their source engine isn't up to snuff yet for licensing ... if they can't license their engine there is little incentive to release a single game

one thing that really pisses me off: they have to be raking in millions upon millions just in monthly micro transactions for CounterStrike Global Offensive. The game has grown to have more concurrent players than Dota2 even. Hundreds of thousands given as prize pools in tournaments.

Yet they still have <5 game devs for CSGO. What a joke.

one thing that really pisses me off: they have to be raking in millions upon millions just in monthly micro transactions for CounterStrike Global Offensive. The game has grown to have more concurrent players than Dota2 even. Hundreds of thousands given as prize pools in tournaments.

What do they need more devs for though? All the need to do is pump out some new cases with pretty new skins every few months and watch the money coming rolling in.

Valve is simply better at being EA than EA is. The last few games they did were sequels to their old IPs, but not to the popular/demanded one. Their new source engine might be outdated by the time the SDK launches and they've simply scaled back to collect money from their app store. The closest thing to innovation they've done recently is a rebranding of a PC (SteamBox) with a cooler controller and a better Oculus Rift since Oculus is taking forever to R&D.

Now that I think about it .. Valve might be using Apple's playbook.

Back