GIGABYTE Z170X-GAMING G1 Pics

I'm approaching 40 years old soon... These white, red, black "Marlboro formula one" colored motherboards are losing their allure. (and have for many years.)

While I'm not sure on how well current EVGA motherboards are made, the Z170 mobos coming from them at least look a bit more minimal.

I look at the old DFI X58 in my case nowadays and wonder, "what the hell was I thinking?" because it's black, florescent green and orange. XD

Sigh... They have the wrong people designing the aesthetics of these boards IMO.

Last edited:
Plastic covers over the I/O and heatsinks are the latest trend, but if they are like the X99-Deluxe, the I/O portion will be removable via screws on the back. Should make it more palatable.

Last edited:
Pretty nice style and color combination. I can't wait for the reviews for the new 100 series chipsets and Intel Skylake CPU's to come out. Depending on improvements to Intel's 2nd gen Sandy Bridge I may upgrade or wait for AMD's Zen next year. IPC of 5 to 10 percent in each succeeding generation isn't much reason to buy all new hardware. I recently upgraded my i5 2500k to an i7 2600k that I bought used on eBay. It's a great CPU and Skylake will have to be the shizpah to get me to spend my hard earned money on an all new mobo, DDR4 RAM and CPU (Broadwell? What dat?). :D Just have to wait and see I guess.

I want to look at doing gunmetal/orange for my next build.

Black/red needs to die already. Those white covers on the motherboard look cheap and unfinished.

The 2x M.2 PCI-E 3.0 x4 ports are interesting to me, personally. It's looking like full speed socket 3 implementation is seeing widespread adoption.

I'm approaching 40 years old soon... These white, red, black "Marlboro formula one" colored motherboards are losing their allure. (and have for many years.)

While I'm not sure on how well current EVGA motherboards are made, the Z170 mobos coming from them at least look a bit more minimal.

I look at the old DFI X58 in my case nowadays and wonder, "what the hell was I thinking?" because it's black, florescent green and orange. XD

Sigh... They have the wrong people designing the aesthetics of these boards IMO.

Just because you're nearing 40 doesn't mean you have to be old and boring! ;) Do you feel the same way about a Ferrari because it's flashy and has good design?

<SNIP

I too am approaching my 40's..but I can see the appeal of the red/white/black combo:

bd4d6805a28bba881345183a23fe13e1.jpg

Wait we were talking about MB's.. that said, overall I like and use Gigabyte boards.

I'm kind of expecting to see him on the label with some broken English about go fast win race:
dqO3oPP.jpg

I am sorry, aside from the Marlboro on that girl's rear, you are alone in thinking that red/white MB combo is cool. Maybe if you're 16 or something.

Plain black or plain white.
Let the buyer accent the build.:cool:

I am sorry, aside from the Marlboro on that girl's rear, you are alone in thinking that red/white MB combo is cool. Maybe if you're 16 or something.

I don't think he's alone, and I'm not sixteen or into race cars.

It's a cleanly laid-out motherboard, looks like it has lots features, and the color scheme isn't obnoxious. Not all of us have the steady and sure hands of a experienced modder or painter to do cool stuff with a flat black or flat white motherboard. Having a motherboard like this would allow someone to build his or her rig with a color scheme in mind, adding a bit more of a personal touch to the machine than their skills would normally permit.

Plus, I'd much rather have something inspired by a race car then an ammo clip from Gigabyte: http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Gigabyte-G1-Killer-Motherboard-Gets-Sneak-Preview-Built-Around-Intel-s-X58-Chipset-2.jpg

I didn't say it was cool. I just said I get the appeal (for me at least). To be honest my case doesn't have a window and I could care less what colors are used. Function --> Layout --> Features --> Price --> Color/Style.

I agree. I am definitely thinking about a Krait board from MSi for its classy use of black and white for my Skylake build. I hope we see more of it in the future.

I guess at 34 I'm still young enough to think it looks cool.

I've had some ugly Abit, DFI, and Tyan ones in the past. That'd be a nice change.

Not bad looking, just not for me.

I'd honestly love to see an outstanding enthusiast class board, with all the bells and whistles, but no 'bling'. Just a plain old green pcb. The Asus deluxe boards are pretty close to that, I suppose.

I like the look. My Biostar has the whole red/black/white color scheme going on. It actually looks nice in the white/black case. This new motherboard could drop right in without needing to change anything else in the build.

Yeah, I'd prefer just a plain old green PCB. Can call it the Gigabyte Gaming G1 "Get off my lawn!" Edition.

I wonder how much premium (actual cost + markup) they are assessing for the bling on these new boards.

I think it looks fine, but I also don't care, since nobody is going to see my MB once it's in the case. I appreciate what the MOD folks do and some of them I'd be happy to have, but I'm not going to build one (nor would I pay someone to do it for me).

I like that there are 10 SATA ports 2 M2.

Oh no. I love Ferrari automobiles, but I've been hoping that "overclocker" and/or "gamer" gear to mature a bit.

Something can be very attractive when sleek and sexy, vs loud and colorful.

I too am approaching my 40's..but I can see the appeal of the red/white/black combo:

bd4d6805a28bba881345183a23fe13e1.jpg

Wait we were talking about MB's.. that said, overall I like and use Gigabyte boards.

I'm sorry, I lost track of what this thread was about for some reason. :D

Personally I sort of like it, although I'd have to see it in person to decide if it's overboard or not. Additionally I wish some maker of motherboards and videocards would put out a series of boards and cards in colors other then red/black or white/black.

I don't see anything I couldn't change the color of to suit my preferences. I personally don't have an issue with the way mobo's look. Real question is how does it perform?

Hmm...

Maybe we should just have white motherboards with plain, block, black letters that say "Motherboard" and call it good.

Personally, I prefer the old blue board with blue-anodized metal look. I don't see any reason mfgs can't try to differentiate themselves visually though. Obviously taste is going to come into play when they do, but there seem to be plenty of styles for everyone. I'm personally a bit more worried about the build quality, but... :D

well I dig this motherboard.

looks pricey though. probably north of 400$

This looks like a well made mobo but I don't dig the colors. Did anyone notice removable OPAMPs on their integrated audio, they also used pretty good ones too but you can always swap for your favorites! I think it's the first board that has removable audio OPAMPs. Can't really speak of practicality of this choice or how difficult it will be to swap them while mounted inside the case and populated with hardware either...

Most people probably arent old enough to remmber these but .... kinda reminds me of those old manual charge card machines youd find at some gas station.lol

I don't think he's alone, and I'm not sixteen or into race cars.

It's a cleanly laid-out motherboard, looks like it has lots features, and the color scheme isn't obnoxious. Not all of us have the steady and sure hands of a experienced modder or painter to do cool stuff with a flat black or flat white motherboard. Having a motherboard like this would allow someone to build his or her rig with a color scheme in mind, adding a bit more of a personal touch to the machine than their skills would normally permit.

Plus, I'd much rather have something inspired by a race car then an ammo clip from Gigabyte: http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Gigabyte-G1-Killer-Motherboard-Gets-Sneak-Preview-Built-Around-Intel-s-X58-Chipset-2.jpg

I wasn't saying that the board was shit, maybe it has ultra-deluxe features and that's just fine. A board should sell based on features and function, not paint scheme.

I'm just saying the color scheme is pretty immature. It's a motherboard, not a girl's tight fitting leather pants or a race car.

I fully agree that those Gigabyte sniper boards looked way out of line, regardless of features. I could care less how good the board was, that bullet clip thing was just wrong.

As I said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder; but I prefer a basic color. Let the owner provide the bling, or not.

Now, get off my lawn.:D

This looks like a well made mobo but I don't dig the colors. Did anyone notice removable OPAMPs on their integrated audio, they also used pretty good ones too but you can always swap for your favorites! I think it's the first board that has removable audio OPAMPs. Can't really speak of practicality of this choice or how difficult it will be to swap them while mounted inside the case and populated with hardware either...

They did this on the Z97 Gaming boards too. The OPA2134 that they chose is actually a pretty nice op amp as you mentioned. I typically like the 2604 a little better, or maybe some of the Analog Devices chips. I haven't tried the ADI's I have yet though.

The board itself looks nice but the white heatsinks really ruined the looks, it just doesn't match at all. Not to mention the heatsinks look tacky and oversized, and whatever happened to the green and black scheme Gigabyte was previously using? At least this board looks better than X99/Z97 G1 Gaming boards but that white is just... argh.

I would have prefered Black/red (like the Z97 gaming series) or full on black (Black series) mobos, thankfully rest of my rig would probably cover rest of the heatsink.

Then again, aethestics is something I would probably put last on the list for mobo choices. Let's face it, how often do you stare at your motherboard?

I would have prefered Black/red (like the Z97 gaming series) or full on black (Black series) mobos, thankfully rest of my rig would probably cover rest of the heatsink.

Then again, aethestics is something I would probably put last on the list for mobo choices. Let's face it, how often do you stare at your motherboard?

Only when I toss in new H/W or when shit goes wrong (so once or 2x/year)

Back