Which Tech CEO Would Make the Best President?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know about you but would most definitely vote for D.) None of the above. ;)

We surveyed 1503 voting age Americans, asking them to select the CEO they would be most likely to vote for in a presidential election. Their choices were Tesla CEO Elon Musk, Apple CEO Tim Cook, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, and Google CEO Larry Page.

Neither Elon Musk nor Satya Nadella are eligible for President (born in other countries, neither parent American citizens) so they shouldn't even be on the list.

It is clear that none of them would survive in the political jungle ;)

Bunch of Slavers. Fuck them. Locals wont work for near free? Import HB1 slaves.

Given that much of the power in our government resides in Congress and not the White House I am not sure that any technical leader could have the same success in government as they have with their companies ... that said, with those choices I would go with Bezos or Page

A better use of business leaders would be to use them as an advisory council to the president and Congress ... assuming the politicians would listen to them, they could offer advice on business and tech friendly laws and budget priorities

If it has to be someone on that list, I would pick Jeff Bezos. He's the most practical out of all of them.

Steve Jobs! I'd vote for him doing it because he'd market all the stuff people don't like as beneficial because it's trendy and just works. :D

Ellison would be the biggest dick in the history of politicians, and that's saying something. He'd also probably emulate the Oracle model and raise taxes so he could build a new super yacht.

Definitely agree with Steve on this one. All of them would be as bad as current politicians. Unfortunately, an honest CEO of a large company is extremely hard to come by in any industry.

I think two of the better CEOs of large companies in America today are Gabe Newell and (I'm going to get slaughtered for this) Jen-Hsun Huang. I love listening to them when doing sit-down talks. Some of these other CEOs you listen to them talk and you come out feeling dumber.

I don't know about you but would most definitely vote for
D.) None of the above[/URL]. ;)

I agree, especially since most of them supported the current disaster in the white house.

Given that much of the power in our government resides in Congress and not the White House I am not sure that any technical leader could have the same success in government as they have with their companies ...

Except that's no longer true if you look at what's been happening for the past few years.
The current POTUS acts more like a dictator than an elective official, with the full support of his backers and the new media. I don't think his supporters would feel the same about executive authority if it was being used by someone from the opposing party.

Except that's no longer true if you look at what's been happening for the past few years.
The current POTUS acts more like a dictator than an elective official, with the full support of his backers and the new media. I don't think his supporters would feel the same about executive authority if it was being used by someone from the opposing party.

Rofl. I am no supporter of Obama, but ever since the GOP took the House in 2010, Obama has only been able to do what public opinion and powerful/wealthy "moderates" have forced the GOP into allowing him to do.

Almost everything that he does in ACTION (not just words) are things that GOP elites support too, regardless of what they, their representatives, and/or supporters say they support/oppose. Not that he would have been doing much better if the DNC had control of both houses again, as when they did, Obamacare was still filled with corruption that has made it much more expensive than it should be, for the coverage it gives.

Unfortunately, most people vote based on personality and other superficial qualities. This has turned into a sensate culture where the entertainment value of a person trumps credentials and experience. The low information voter won't care enough to do the research into a candidate. MSM will continue with their endorsements through story selection and slant. What's the question? :D

Rofl. I am no supporter of Obama, but ever since the GOP took the House in 2010, Obama has only been able to do what public opinion and powerful/wealthy "moderates" have forced the GOP into allowing him to do.

Almost everything that he does in ACTION (not just words) are things that GOP elites support too, regardless of what they, their representatives, and/or supporters say they support/oppose. Not that he would have been doing much better if the DNC had control of both houses again, as when they did, Obamacare was still filled with corruption that has made it much more expensive than it should be, for the coverage it gives.

Obamacare would not have passed if the Republicans were in control of the House or Senate. Not a single Republican voted for it. There are differences. Even the RINOS knew not to touch that one.
Single payer healthcare is the ultimate goal with the passing of Obamacare. :(

A CEO would at least give our oligarchy an honest image.

Its not Obama's job to do anything. In fact Obamacare is better called Pelosi-Reid-Care. But the DNC lost the House because of it. The public (barring the authority loving big government advocates) was against it. The Cronies are who wanted it and since they control both parties its still happening.

Big[ger] government and financial/corporate Cronyism are Siamese Twins. The corruption you mentioned was intended from its inception.

None of the above is probably right. CEOs lay out a vision and everyone else follows. The president lays out a vision and everyone in the opposing party fights tooth and nail to make sure it doesn't happen.

He's simply exercising the powers the Constitution grants to him, since Congress is incapable of doing anything.

I was going to say this, but then I thought "What about Ballmer?"

Could you imagine him running and jumping around screaming giving the State of the Union address with sweat soaked armpits. :D

He's simply exercising the powers the Constitution grants to him, since Congress is incapable of doing anything.

Wrong. Per the Constitution, only Congress can pass a law. All the president can do is propose one, and sign one that has passed congress. It's not the Congresses fault that Obama doesn't know how to lead and isn't willing to work/compromise with the other side.

Jeff Bezos would be my vote. There is no other CEO in that list that systematically identifies problems and tries to come up with solutions for them in an insanely competitive environment. There is no other CEO that really knows just how important infrastructure and efficiency is.

You know this is just a popularity contest when Tim Cook is not ranked dead last. Seriously WTF thinks the complete draconian control and a 1 size fits all with no flexibility at business person whom simply blames the customers when ever they don't like something would be a good for any country?

Jeff Bezos would be my vote. There is no other CEO in that list that systematically identifies problems and tries to come up with solutions for them in an insanely competitive environment. There is no other CEO that really knows just how important infrastructure and efficiency is.

You know this is just a popularity contest when Tim Cook is not ranked dead last. Seriously WTF thinks the complete draconian control and a 1 size fits all with no flexibility at business person whom simply blames the customers when ever they don't like something would be a good for any country?

Tim Cook is not a bad CEO since he came up through the operational ranks as the COO ... however, since operational excellence and efficiency has no use in the government bureaucracy that wouldn't be a strength ... the only CEOs who would even have a chance in Washington are those with a strong enough personalities to lead the unwilling or to convert them to their way of thinking ... I agree that Bezos is one of the few that fits that mold ... although we don't have any on that list, a CEO like Michael Dell (which someone mentioned previously) who is used to rebuilding a company that is broken and dealing with hostile boards might be able to succeed also

None of the above, all would be horrible choices.

Add to the mini political war brewing. I would like to remind all the anti Obama people that it wasn't like there were better choices. If anything the other choices were far worse. How about instead of continuing this stupidity of trying to blame one person/party. You wake up and realize the entire system is broken. Also some of you are woefully ignorant on how politics works of you believe Obama is the source of the problems. He's part of the problems. For sure, but not nearly as much as some of you have deluded yourselves into believing.

We are about to have another election and no matter who wins its going to get worse. This cycle will continue as long as the voting Americans continue voting for candidates over stupid shit. Everyone I hear someone say they are voting only because a candidate is of a certain party or pro whatever. I just want to punch them in their stupid mouth.

A better use of business leaders would be to use them as an advisory council to the president and Congress ... assuming the politicians would listen to them, they could offer advice on business and tech friendly laws and budget priorities

They wouldn't care. The US government shut down it's own Office of Technology Assesment back in 1995 because the republican congress found them to be politically inconvenient. We're the only major power without such an agency and that's unlikely to change in the current political climate.

Plus he's pretty good at running a deficit quarter after quarter after quarter.

Add to the mini political war brewing. I would like to remind all the anti Obama people that it wasn't like there were better choices. If anything the other choices were far worse. How about instead of continuing this stupidity of trying to blame one person/party. You wake up and realize the entire system is broken.

The American people are broken, so it all flows uphill. It's sort of a realization of the slogan that in a democracy the people get the leaders they deserve.

There's no fixing the mess we're in now. From here on out it's all about saving your soul.

They wouldn't care. The US government shut down it's own Office of Technology Assesment back in 1995 because the republican congress found them to be politically inconvenient. We're the only major power without such an agency and that's unlikely to change in the current political climate.

It's amazing we were able to go on without that tech agency. Without a politically-influenced body of bureaucratic cronies, how would we ever know what technologies to invent?

It's not the Congresses fault that Obama doesn't know how to lead and isn't willing to work/compromise with the other side.

Compromising with the other side is exactly why we have the crappy health care system we have. Obama tried to compromise too much and got nuked in response.

Can it be fictional?

latest

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Morgan_Industries_(SMAC)

Jeff Bezos wouldn't be liked as a president because he's willing to lose money to build up infrastructure and efficiency. it's easy to look at him as a great CEO when times are good but it's a miracle he wasn't forced out after the dotcom boom and again during the recession.

Like it or not Tim Cook would be considered a fiscal conservative. Only spends money when he has to, every acquisition has made sense, The company's ran efficiently. A lot of what you said applies to Jobs, not Cook.

Back