Criminals When You Pirate, Criminals When You Pay

HardOCP News

[H] News
"Arrogant in the extreme" describes the entertainment industry perfectly.

Online content pirates are regularly labeled 'thieves' by entertainment industry companies. However, we're now seeing genuine customers being branded as "criminals", simply because they access Netflix from another country using a VPN. Talking to customers like this is not only offensive, but arrogant in the extreme.

If they're willing to pay, give them something to buy. Isn't that supposed to be how commerce works? Why go out of your way to create problems for paying customers?

We should be embracing the sharing of culture across all borders as a way to bring all of humanity together. Instead, the commercial interests want us all in our places in the name of profit.

Ahaha.
I VPN into Canada because the short detour through Toronto is faster than getting routed through f'ing Chicago in the states.

Ahaha.
I VPN into Canada because the short detour through Toronto is faster than getting routed through f'ing Chicago in the states.

For Netflix? Canadian Netflix has a worse selection of titles.

Its becoming a war between content producers and e-distributors that want to give more for less.
It benefits greatly the distributor to give more for less of course, not so the producers.. that's the kink.. producers have been expensive distributors also, historically (Cable, gets paid with ads, and you money on top.. its billions and billions).
E-distributors turns out besides being less expensive at distribution, can also be content producers, probably for less money too.
I mean Netflix keeps cranking up production, and sure, its not full of "A-listers", and its not all awesome content, but they are giving work to more and more actors (I assume the money at least pays the bills for people starting out in these programs like Between)
Doesn't seem Netflix has an issue with VPNs 'personally' so to speak, I take it producers do, because they can't regionalize sales (milk the people on the US, sell cheaper other places).. you know, expensive distributor mentality.
If they industry dinosaurs had they way completely (no piracy possible, no 'netflix'), they may make more money, for some time.. then their base will shrink and shrink, I mean large scale distribution, including piracy, gives you long term relevancy.. unlike a drug, people can move on to other entertainment venues... rant off...

Security and license circumvention is generally viewed as illegal.

What puzzles me is when I try to watch video content from the US and it says "This content is not enabled for your country by the producer!" on YouTube.

Erm okay then I'll watch the version the guy who recorded it put up on YouTube instead!

Note to Media Producers - The world is a very small place now!

I wonder if I'm a criminal because I bought the BluRay set of Harry Potter movies from Amazon UK for a small fraction of the cost of Amazon (US).

As I mentioned the main problem is that a few people still think the world is in the old analogue phase.

I thought it was common knowledge but if you aren't paying them per view of any content you can see or hear you are considered a thief. Media companies don't want you buying or streaming, they want pay per view.

The entertainment industry is still behaving like primitives who stubbornly refuse to leave the caves.

When you have people from developing nations trying to access Netflix, it tells you that the world is ready for online distribution, and there's a huge market out there just waiting.

I thought it was common knowledge but if you aren't paying them per view of any content you can see or hear you are considered a thief. Media companies don't want you buying or streaming, they want pay per view.

Pay per view per viewer per screen.

We should be embracing the sharing of culture across all borders as a way to bring all of humanity together. Instead, the commercial interests want us all in our places in the name of profit.
"Commerical interests" and "profit" are the only reasons we have the means to distribute that "culture." To say nothing of the very existence of much of that "culture" itself. Heck, and all of the other wonderful things we take for granted. . . and everything we visit this site to be enthusiastic about.

Something tells me it would have been hard for the Soviet Politburo and the People's Committee for Culture and Worker Recreation to approve 3D gaming video cards. . . or even HD TV. Though we'd have plenty of ballets I guess.

I wonder if I'm a criminal because I bought the BluRay set of Harry Potter movies from Amazon UK for a small fraction of the cost of Amazon (US).

If you're watching a disc made for a different 'zone' than the one you're in, you're probably violating some idiotic DRM law and will be fined a million dollars and ten years in jail. For watching a movie. Yup. That's how bad the media corporations want to keep control of distribution. Because it's still like a license to print money, that's why they spent so much to get DRM laws passed in the first place, then pushed to remove analog connections from digital recorders. A commercial dvd or blue ray disc cost pennies to make. Then they sell them for hundreds or thousands of times that. That's the profit that they're desperately trying to protect.

They can do what they like because they own the politicians and make the law.

Seems the rich are getting more and more indignant that they aren't simply entitled to your money. :rolleyes:

Back