Chrome To 'Intelligently' Block Auto-Playing Flash Ads

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the official Google Chrome blog, the next version of Chrome will begin automatically blocking Flash content that "isn't central" to the webpage.

When you’re on a webpage that runs Flash, we’ll intelligently pause content (like Flash animations) that aren’t central to the webpage, while keeping central content (like a video) playing without interruption. If we accidentally pause something you were interested in, you can just click it to resume playback. This update significantly reduces power consumption, allowing you to surf the web longer before having to hunt for a power outlet.

In Chrome settings -> show advanced settings -> content settings -> under "plugins" select "let me choose when to run plugin content"

Wham. Flash is dead. Big gray boxes will load up where flash once was. You can manually right click on a gray box to run that flash content if you want. You also get a little puzzle piece with a red X on it next to the favorites button showing you that plugins were blocked on your current page. You can click on the puzzle piece and select "run all plugins this time" and it will run all the flash on the page just for your current visit. Or you can click on it and select "always allow plugins from..." to white list whatever site you're on so that flash always runs on that site in the future.

too little too late.

nowadays something like a combination of ublock+umatrix extension on chrome, prevents any unauthorized thing from loading unless specifically allowed. This way you can prevent junk in the form of adware and uneeded cookies getting onto your pc.

A lot of my users (elementary school teachers) are going back to IE 11 from all the stuff that's breaking in the browsers. From the news it sounds like Google but I've noticed a lot of it is also happening in Firefox. They like their little tools they use to make their lessons on various websites. I wonder how many users they're losing back to IE. Better yet I hope their websites start getting away from the Java, Flash, Sliver Light crap they're doing nowadays.

What gets me now is how Firefox blocks out of date Flash plugins (almost impossible to keep up to date on 400+ computers) and no automatic update without user intervention. Google auto updates Flash but blocks almost all Java (I've given up forcing the most up to date Java plugins). IE 11 seems to be the only way to go nowadays.

google blocking ads?:confused::confused::confused:

The issue being addressed here is web pages with two or more auto-playing videos cross-talking each other. Utterly broken behavior, occurring on what I can only presume must be robo-built news pages that never had a human inspection before being published.

Back