NSA Secretly Expands Internet Spying at U.S. Border

HardOCP News

[H] News
Spying at the border to catch hackers? The NSA would be better off spying on parents' basements and the hot pocket section at the grocery store.

Without public notice or debate, the Obama administration has expanded the National Security Agency’s warrantless surveillance of Americans’ international Internet traffic to search for evidence of malicious computer hacking, according to classified N.S.A. documents.

More BS being fed gullible Americans by Snowden's KGB bosses...;) I swear, does anyone understand why *nothing* that Snowden says or "reveals" is credible? People have sure gotten a lot dumber in the last 20 years...;) The level of stupidity is remarkable, actually--I think if Snowden printed up some fake government documents that said the NSA was using space aliens from the Roswell encounter to spy on Americans he would be believed by a huge section of the populace! Unreal.

More BS being fed gullible Americans by Snowden's KGB bosses...;) I swear, does anyone understand why *nothing* that Snowden says or "reveals" is credible? People have sure gotten a lot dumber in the last 20 years...;) The level of stupidity is remarkable, actually--I think if Snowden printed up some fake government documents that said the NSA was using space aliens from the Roswell encounter to spy on Americans he would be believed by a huge section of the populace! Unreal.

Not sure if serious ...

What's being talked about here is old news and fits within the spec of the previous leaks.

Don't get me wrong, it's entirely possible Russia's FSB might exploit the situation and make stuff up. But in this instance, it seems the program is plausible.

Enemy of the State is 17 years old at this point. It was a tinfoil hat fanatic movie when it came out. Now it's more confirmed fact than fiction. So, people have been getting dumber...or the gov't has been getting bolder?

This is the same US DoJ that penned a memo establishing the legality of executing American citizens without trial because they posed an imminent threat, from a cave on the opposite side of the planet.

No doubt admin is concerned a cartel member might not get through - or worse get injured by by a bean bag (that is if border patrol is still aloowed to use them)

You are the gullible government shill. What is more believable. A man, Snowden, would throw away his life, career, girl friend, etc. so he could print up some fake documents to embarrass the US government OR that US government leaders are so paranoid and greedy that they will ignore the US Constitution to retain power.

Enemy of the State is 17 years old at this point.

Excellent movie. Also, scary when you start seeing what is real and has been done...

I'm going to order this from Amazon right now. Haven't watched it in a long time.

Does this adversely affect your quality of life? No.

Can it protect your quality of life? Yes, because the PLA, etc. are stealing intellectual property, trade secret, university research, etc. that could affect the economy and your job.

You spend years on university research and accrue student debt then it takes minutes for a foreign entity to steal it, manufacture it cheaply without R&D expense and robbing you of future employment to pay off your debt.

This country has turned from team doer's to selfish whiners.

Can it protect your quality of life? Yes, because the PLA, etc. are stealing intellectual property, trade secret, university research, etc. that could affect the economy and your job.

You spend years on university research and accrue student debt then it takes minutes for a foreign entity to steal it, manufacture it cheaply without R&D expense and robbing you of future employment to pay off your debt.

This does affect everyone's quality of life because the enormous waste of taxpayers money chasing boogie men.
Stolen IP is handled through trade agreements and WTO, not monitoring communications.

Stolen IP is handled through trade agreements and WTO, not monitoring communications.

WTO is useless for a lot of things like stolen stealth technology, missile defense, etc. that nullify our defense capability and does nothing if PLA wants to sell to NK, Iran, etc.

People, who want to illegally move info to another country, can simply upload it to server via encrypted connection. No need to physically carry the data.

So, searching for such data on border is a giant waste of money.

People, who want to illegally move info to another country, can simply upload it to server via encrypted connection. No need to physically carry the data.

So, searching for such data on border is a giant waste of money.

It's internet border and not physical border. God help America. We are fucked.

Everything he has said or presented has proven to be true and has sent the government scrambling to "fix", cover up, or backtrack on. Who's the "gullible" one? It's time to turn off the Faux News.

1. The KGB no longer exists. It disbanded in 1991 with the fall of the Soviet Union. It's functions have been replaced by multiple agencies such as the Federal Security Service (FSB, equivalent to US FBI) and Foreign Intelligence Service (equivalent to US CIA).

2. Whatever he does tell the Ruskies doesn't matter. Truth or Not, its all grievous offenses perpetrated by the NSA and the Russians want to hear it all and spread the news everywhere as part of their own propaganda and misdirection. Snowden has very little incentive to lie at this point, especially now that he is out of country and we can't touch him. That means at least some of those stories he has told have to be true. As pointed out by someone else in this thread, almost everything Snowden has come out with have been proven true by people doing investigations which often discovered even more detail than Snowden himself could provide. If anyone is giving out misinformation, its likely the Russians making up the bullshit themselves, not Snowden.

You are the gullible government shill. What is more believable. A man, Snowden, would throw away his life, career, girl friend, etc. so he could print up some fake documents to embarrass the US government OR that US government leaders are so paranoid and greedy that they will ignore the US Constitution to retain power.

No to mention that pretty much everything in the early days that he revealed, which the Govt/NSA denied or refused to comment on, turned out to be true

Everything he has said or presented has proven to be true and has sent the government scrambling to "fix", cover up, or backtrack on. Who's the "gullible" one? It's time to turn off the Faux News.

So we have the US & Russian governments and intelligence communities and a former NSA contractor now under the protection of a Russian strongman who was in the KGB. Gullible would be having much trust in any of these parties.

2. Whatever he does tell the Ruskies doesn't matter. Truth or Not, its all grievous offenses perpetrated by the NSA and the Russians want to hear it all and spread the news everywhere as part of their own propaganda and misdirection.

This by definition is treason.

It's just to make sure Border Patrol is doing their jobs and letting everyone in regardless of criminal record or country of origin.

There is a term a number of posters need to become familiar with .... "useful idiot"

Excellent movie. Also, scary when you start seeing what is real and has been done...

I'm going to order this from Amazon right now. Haven't watched it in a long time.

As I recall, the parts that dealt with wireless phones was not realistic. It might be more realistic now that most devices have GPS built in, but at the time, the best you could do was triangulation and that took a lot of time.

Back