PowerColor's Next-Gen Radeon R9 390X Pictured

This uses Grenada, not Fiji right? Grenada is supposed to be to Hawaii, what Tonga was to Tahitti. Would it be safe to Assume that the R9-390x would perform above the GTX980, and the R9-390 would perform between the GTX970 and GTX980? Consider the R9-285/R9-380 is quicker than the GTX960 in most cases.

i....i....I kinda like it o_O

edit: so wait, all this "furyx" talk... is that what the HBM gpu is called now? fury?

My greatest hope is that R9 290X's will drop to $199.

Well......is this the new chip GPU or is it just a souped up R9 290X?

That's the million dollar question.

I think this PowerColor dealio here is just a rebrand.

The CEO said just yesterday that their new stuff won't be available until mid-June.

I think it looks ugly as f**k, like those ugly cheap plastic midi tower cases with a big X on them and blue LEDs that were so common a few years ago.
But... I would gladly buy one if it comes with 6GB of VRAM and has similar/better performance, power & heat characteristics to the GTX 980 Ti.

From what I hear it's kind of both, the 390x is supposed to be based on Grenada, which is to Hawaii what Tonga was to Tahiti.

Tweaktown has removed the page.
Was that a fake info ? Or did AMD wanted to remove that ?

Hmm, I do like the look and AIO. If it is 2.5 slots though, it's a poor decision though IMO.

Hmm, I do like the look and AIO. If it is 2.5 slots though, it's a poor decision though IMO.

Yeah, that would be really stupid. With the AIO doing the bulk of the cooling work, that would be just overkill and silly if that angled fan makes it go beyond 2 slot thickness.

the r9 fury x is supposed to be amd's proper top-of-the-line beast, yes?

i thought for a long ass time that title was going to the 390x. now i dont even know what the 390x is.

That card beggars belief. I didn't know they could make something so bulky, so big, and so ugly. Seriously. I'm in the market for a card. The only way I'd even consider that one is if it brewed espresso and dispensed it out of a tap on the back.

The board revision LF R29FA v1.0 4GB is the exact same board used in Powercolor's current R9 290x cards: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=26900763. I wonder if the 390x bios could be flashed to the 290x :)
Doubtful. It's entirely possible that since the 390X is rumored to be an improved/tweaked 290X that the PCB can simply be reused with the new GPU. That would definitely help keep prices down as AIBs wouldn't have to design new boards or new coolers for the 390X.

That's the million dollar question.

I think this PowerColor dealio here is just a rebrand.

The CEO said just yesterday that their new stuff won't be available until mid-June.

More like late June early July given that it was supposed to be out in Q1.

That's a 290. The board is the length of one as you can see behind the fan, and it's also running a 6+8 config instead of the 8+8 of the 390X.

Or is the 390X not the short-board HBM 8x8?

1. AMD Radeon Fury X Fiji XT 4096 4GB Stacked HBM
  2. AMD Radeon Fury Fiji PRO TBD 4GB Stacked HBM
  3. AMD Radeon R9 390X Hawaii XT 2816 8GB GDDR5
  4. AMD Radeon R9 290X Hawaii XT 2816 4GB GDDR5

The R9 390X and R9 390 however will get updated versions of Hawaii with faster clock speeds and faster memory sub-systems as well. Thus the 390X will not be the flagship from the red team, instead AMD will debut its flagship chip Fiji under the name “Fury”.
Probably explains why the board is the same between the 290 and 390. Supposedly, once the HBM yields get better, we will see a 8GB Fury X soon.

Or at least the 290's. I've been on the fence as the 7970 has lasted for a while :).

Exactly for me too! The 7970 has been a workhorse, but it's time to rotate that into the main desktop and replace the 6970 in that one, and update the iRacing machine with more FPS's. 200 ain't enough for me :)

Plus one of the ports on it is bad so I'm a bit worried about it. I run triple screen and if another goes I'm toast.

Back