MSI Launches The GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G

HardOCP News

[H] News
As one of the world's leading brands in graphics cards, MSI is excited to introduce the new flagship of the MSI GAMING graphics cards lineup: the MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G. This imposing new model is powered by NVIDIA's Maxwell GM200 GPU, yet running on significantly higher clockspeeds than the reference model. Combined with 6GB of GDDR5 memory, this enables gamers to enjoy a smooth 4K gaming experience. Featuring the award-winning Twin Frozr V thermal design, the MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G delivers unmatched cooling and acoustic performance. To bolster the premium look & feel, the MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G comes equipped with a solid metal backplate.

Besides the revered GAMING series, MSI are also introducing two reference models featuring exhaust thermal design. The MSI GTX 980 Ti 6GD5 will be available immediately, shortly followed by the MSI GTX 980 Ti 6GD5 V1, which comes equipped with an all new premium silver shroud and Military Class 4 Components for durable, solid performance.

This is my next card.

Been loving my 970 4G Gaming cards.

So is this another non-reference card with a cooler design that is awful for SLI?

I don't understand why they put these bad coolers that spew heat out into the case on their best cards, the kind of people who buy these are the ones who want to SLI, and the reference blowers are better.

These cards are for enthusiasts though.

No enthusiast is running a single card setup these days.

Uhh, yeah, a lot of people are. Many of us have sworn off multi-card setups because they're a PITA.

LMAO.

I only run a single card. Most people I know don't bother with multicards due to shitty games support or SLI/XFire bugs. We all just run the baddest single card for our chosen resolution we can afford.

Uhh, yeah, a lot of people are. Many of us have sworn off multi-card setups because they're a PITA.

You're not an enthusiast if you don't run multiple GPUs.

Even if you have a Titan X overclocked, it still cannot run every game on its maximum settings at 4K resolution and hold 60 FPS. You still need two GPUs for 4K 60 FPS.

If you're not gaming at 4K 60 FPS by now then you are not an enthusiast.

Also, multi-card setups are only a PITA if you go with AMD, because AMD's drivers are terrible. Nvidia supports SLI very well. The only 'AAA' game I've played in years that couldn't support SLI was Dead Rising 3.

I guess I will remain content being a casual plebeian that only uses one $600+ card. Woe is me.

Even if you have a Titan X overclocked, it still cannot run every game on its maximum settings at 4K resolution and hold 60 FPS. You still need two GPUs for 4K 60 FPS.

Trololol.. Just diggin that hole deeper and deeper eh? Please continue :)

popcorn_stephen_colbert.gif

Also, multi-card setups are only a PITA if you go with AMD, because AMD's drivers are terrible. Nvidia supports SLI very well. The only 'AAA' game I've played in years that couldn't support SLI was Dead Rising 3.

The stupid is everywhere today.

Oh please, get off your high-horse. I run single-card BECAUSE I'm and enthusiast. I don't want multi-card issues compromising my gaming experience.

Note that this is not restricted to software issues. I'm a silent-computing enthusiast as well, and multi-card configurations are nearly-impossible to silence. The extra heat and noise associated with multi-GPU to 100% unacceptable.

Does 5760x1200 count? I'll take triple-monitor Surround over a single 4k display any day :rolleyes:

I'll stick with single-card, thanks. Just ordered a GTX 980 Ti to replace my watercooled, overclocked, and totally silent GTX 780.

Fuck I had no idea I wasn't a true enthusiast, my multiple rigs make me a true peasant.

I was an enthusiast for 2 months back in 2006, apparently.
Never since then. I am a disgrace.

My snack for the hungry little yard gnome...

I actually have a full and interesting life away from my little non-enthusiast computer.

Yeah my enthusiast days are long gone. I am the casual peasant now. :D

I am sure people gaming at 1440p 144 FPS disagree with this ridiculous statement. 60Hz in motion is a blurry mess no matter how high the resolution.

I am sure people gaming at 1440p 144 FPS disagree with this ridiculous statement. 60Hz in motion is a blurry mess no matter how high the resolution.

Monitor users aren't enthusiasts, sorry. Due to their tiny size, monitors are the handhelds of the PC gaming world. They are to PCs as the Nintendo 3DS is to consoles.

I'm going to wait to see how well this card handles noise and temperatures compared to that monster of an ASUS card that has three 100mm fans.

Um this is an announcement of an upcoming card not a "launch". ;)

When this card does actually launch its going to sell like crazy.

And yet, there are tens of millions of folks playing Witcher 3 in 30fps on PS4 and Xbox. :rolleyes: You managed to trump a ridiculous statement with an even more ridiculous one.

And yet, there are tens of millions of folks playing Witcher 3 in 30fps on PS4 and Xbox. :rolleyes: You managed to trump a ridiculous statement with an even more ridiculous one.

Sorry, I forgot about those tens of millions of "enthusiasts" who play at an eye-bleeding 30 frames per second on their Xboxes. How ridiculous of me! :p

Sorry, I forgot about those tens of millions of "enthusiasts" who play at an eye-bleeding 30 frames per second on their Xboxes. How ridiculous of me! :p

Your ridiculous statement is 60fps is a blurry mess. Your eyes must have bled before the creation of 144hz monitors which was what all of what 5 years ago?

To be honest a year ago I would have said the same thing, but now having gamed at 144fps I could never go back it is so silky smooth

144 Hz Masterrace checking in. I'm so spoiled that anything less than 80 FPS is hard for me to play nowadays. I also own both PS4 and XBONE, and playing on them now seems like torture.

900p 30fps...

....2015 enthusiast!
The XBONE can actually dynamically shift internally between 720p and 900p to improve framerate. Also don't forget that the console version sometimes locks to 20 FPS for that extra cinematic experience during fights.

Eugh, this MSI card has a backplate...

Does the reference have a backplate?

Edit: I don't do 4k because I'd like to read. I have games that practically makes me need microscopes to read text for. Also TV renders frames differently than a monitor, 30fps might not look juddery on a TV, but it certainly looks godawful on a computer monitor.

If I must sacrifice QoL for top end gear that makes my life hell just to be enthusiast, I'll stick to being an ordinary peasant, thank you very much.

Last edited:
Back