An Open Letter To Journalists Who Don’t Give A Crap

HardOCP News

[H] News
While this article may be full of NSFW language, it is definitely one of the more interesting things you will read all day.

Then you’ve got this Rock Band article, in which the writer tells us how instead of checking out the game we clicked a link to read about, he instead chose to be “standing at a safe distance, drinking fizzy water, eating puff pastry canapes and chatting to another colleague about politics in the Philippines”.

Good editorial, but I'm still not giving Polygon a click to read the piece that pissed him off.

Gaming journalism is a bad joke. Between the reviews being bought and paid for ads for games in most cases, and the kinds of idiotic hipster social justice warrior types writing the previews and reviews, I mostly stick to user reviews and word of mouth when buying games.

Polygon and their parent Vox Media have become the shit hole of online "journalism."

Rolling Stone is quickly working on joining them.

Gaming journalism is a bad joke. Between the reviews being bought and paid for ads for games in most cases, and the kinds of idiotic hipster social justice warrior types writing the previews and reviews, I mostly stick to user reviews and word of mouth when buying games.

This.

How these asshats even get a job and make money is beyond me. Lazy bastards.

First: I like this Chris Scullion person. It's good to see someone being honest and forthright and calling a spade a spade.

Second: The article he's referencing gives a really good insight into the psychology of so-called "journalists" in general. This is how a lot of them act. They look down their noses at the masses, think of themselves as some kind of aristocratic elite, and scoff at anything that they consider "beneath" them. It's worth the read just to see how arrogant these schmucks really are. This one actually came out and said what he really thinks because apparently the editorial staff at Polygon doesn't care. Most news agencies would never let their reporters go that far out in the open with their thoughts except on an op-ed page, and even that would run up against an editor's filter. This is what you get when that filter is removed. Remember that next time you read a news article somewhere.

Oh, and to be clear on this, I'm referring to mainstream journalism, not dedicated enthusiast sites like the [H]. I don't know Steve well enough to determine if he's that kind of douche canoe or not, but I don't think he is. I know Kyle definitely isn't. He's far too blunt to even pretend to be some nuanced namby-pamby journalist snob.

First: I like this Chris Scullion person. It's good to see someone being honest and forthright and calling a spade a spade.

Second: The article he's referencing gives a really good insight into the psychology of so-called "journalists" in general. This is how a lot of them act. They look down their noses at the masses, think of themselves as some kind of aristocratic elite, and scoff at anything that they consider "beneath" them. It's worth the read just to see how arrogant these schmucks really are. This one actually came out and said what he really thinks because apparently the editorial staff at Polygon doesn't care. Most news agencies would never let their reporters go that far out in the open with their thoughts except on an op-ed page, and even that would run up against an editor's filter. This is what you get when that filter is removed. Remember that next time you read a news article somewhere.

Oh, and to be clear on this, I'm referring to mainstream journalism, not dedicated enthusiast sites like the [H]. I don't know Steve well enough to determine if he's that kind of douche canoe or not, but I don't think he is. I know Kyle definitely isn't. He's far too blunt to even pretend to be some nuanced namby-pamby journalist snob.

You put it much better than I could.

This article could apply to any job. In my profession (not journalism) I run into people all the time who are burnt out on their job and treat customers with a terrible contempt that they don't deserve. If you hate your job so much quit and go do something else. Stop trying to punish everyone around you because you are unhappy.

Lost interest after I reached the ~500 word count without the author GETTING TO THE FUCKING POINT.

If you've got a beef, the least you can do is a summary.

I don't know, sounds like a lot of projection. The whole point of journalism is to educate or to point out things people may not know; if reading that seems snooty to you, I guess, so be it?

Back