ASUS ROG PG348Q - 34" 3440x1440 100hz Curved IPS G-Sync monitor

Blade-Runner

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.pcgamer.com/seven-new-g-sync-monitors-on-the-way-including-144-hz-ips-asus-display/

http://press.asus.com/PressReleases/p/ASUS-Showcases-the-Latest-Innovations-at-Computex-2015

ROG 34-inch Curved G-SYNC Monitor

This 34-inch 3800R curved display features wide-viewing angles, a 3440 x 1440 native resolution, and 21:9 aspect ratio. It features NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ display technology to deliver smooth, lag-free visuals. G-SYNC synchronizes the display’s refresh rate to the GPU in any GeForce® GTX™-powered PC to eliminate screen tearing and minimizing display stutter and input lag. This results in sharper, more vibrant images; and more fluid and responsive gameplay. It has extensive connectivity options that include DisplayPort and HDMI.

Will be interesting how this compares to the Acer X34. Rumor right now is the Acer will be around $1400 (maybe less, this is based upon UK pricing of 999) and available in August. Both have similar specs.

I'm really trying to convince myself to go from a triple monitor setup to a single 34" ultrawide. I have SLI and it doesn't play nice with triple monitor (I prefer extended desktop mode usually). So it is a pain always switching back and forth.

t09sKnT.jpg

https://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/06/asus-34-ultrawide-qhd-ips-219-curved-g-sync-monitor/

FAQ

*This monitor is still under design and development and as such features, functions and specifications are open to change.

1. When will this be available?

At this time the monitor is still under design and development and a approximate release date has not been defined.

2. What is the refresh rate?

At this time 60Hz, currently to reach beyond this refresh rate a panel needs to be developed in this aspect ratio and resolution as well as designed to operate at this high refresh rate. Beyond this due to the increased resolution there are bandwidth limitations with the current DP implementation. As the unit support G-SYNC the G-SYNC controller currently can not support the new DP 1.3 specification which would allow for near 4K or 4K+ resolutions at refresh rates higher than 60Hz.

That's hot. I'm just a little iffy on that stand in the render. I don't think it's going to be very practical in real life :p.

I hope it will cost less than $1500 so it can be my next monitor :cool:.

I want it to disappear by way of the Cloak in Crisis when not in use

They are looking for feedback on that link. Now may be our only chance to yell at them about A-TW polarizers
Good point. Also get your feedback in on the coating, while you're at it. I'd be willing to live with a light AG coating, but not the medium AG that was used on the PG278Q. What do you guys think about PDC? I know it gives blacks a purplish tinge, so some people may not want to live with that.

First actual pic from the ROG website:

34-Curved-2000-400x400.jpg

Not sure I am a fan of the stand compared to the Acer X34, but what is particularly interesting are the specs detailed on the left:

CeGY96k.jpg

Refresh rate appears to be 75hz just like the X34.

Looks pretty sweet in those pics. Be interesting to see more hard data when the time comes.

I have to take my hat off to Acer for at least trying to put something out there.

Stupid question coming from a 23" monitor guy :D

How much is too much? Honest question. How close do you sit in front of these big monitors without losing the whole peripheral vision?

I would love having a big monitor for FPS gaming and other none gaming tasks but I feel maybe 27" is as big I should go to play comfortable? What's your experience playing on these monsters?

How much is too much? Honest question. How close do you sit in front of these big monitors without losing the whole peripheral vision?

I would love having a big monitor for FPS gaming and other none gaming tasks but I feel maybe 27" is as big I should go to play comfortable? What's your experience playing on these monsters?
34" ultrawide displays are probably perfect because they will fill the entirety of your vision at desktop distance. 27" 16:9 was close with the right height. 34" 21:9 is just slightly shorter than a 27" 16:9 and with the optimal width*.

*In my opinion...*

I'm a 27" guy, and I'm starting to feel that even that is too small. I'm craving a 4k 40" or 5040x2160 45" right now :cool:.

I know what you mean. I have a 24" and at times it feels like I have to force myself to look at the minimap and stuff in games. It just isn't in my peripheral vision like a smaller 20" monitor would be.

I don't plan on going any bigger then a 28". Anything else seems way to big unless you sit a decent distance away from it. I don't have a very deep desk so ya.

That is one sexy looking monitor. It is great to finally see them moving in a positive direction. Monitor development has been to stagnant for to long.

Asus always seems to be late to the party. Where is the PG279Q? Now this monitor comes out in Q1 when the Acer one comes out in Oct? :confused:

PG279Q samples are apparently due in a couple of weeks, but yeah I agree. Incredibly strange that a massive manufacturer like ASUS is lagging so woefully behind Acer of all companies when it comes to getting these products out to market. Would be understandable if we were talking about Benq or Samsung, but Acer had no profile whatsoever in the gaming monitor landscape until very recently.

Its a shame, I would be willing to consider the PG34Q but there is no way I am waiting another 6 months or so to find out whether it can compete with the X34. As it is I have already waited long enough for a decent gaming monitor to finally become available.

Likely pushed back to figure out how Acer is managing to do their similar display at 75-100hz instead of 60.

Since you're catering toe the same audience, it'll get massacred in sales coming in at 60hz.

They could just sell their monitor at a much lower price point for those who do not care about having a high refresh rate and just want 21:9 + G-Sync.

This thing probably won't have ULMB because Asus is too afraid of a bit of flicker... I'd take 60Hz flicker over LCD post/hold any day.

Confirmed to have a 100hz refresh rate!

http://press.asus.com/PressReleases...G-Gaming-Innovations-at-IFA-2015#.VedlF_ZVhBc

ROG Swift PG348Q

ROG Swift PG348Q is a 34-inch gaming display with a curved 3440 x 1440 resolution IPS panel for immersive gaming visuals. This 21:9 aspect display has built-in NVIDIA G-SYNC technology and a 100Hz rapid refresh rate for ultra-smooth gaming visuals with no screen tearing or lag. ASUS GamePlus gives users four different crosshair options, an in-game timer and an FPS counter for an added advantage in first-person-shooter and real-time-strategy games; while ASUS GameVisual technology provides six preset display modes for optimized gaming visuals. ROG Swift has a frameless curved design that is perfect for an immersive gaming experience, and is ergonomically-designed with tilt, swivel, and height adjustments.

Price? If it's the same as the Acer I can probably wait for it. If more expensive then I'll probably just get the Acer.

Mmmm, something to save up for next year. 100 Hz + G-Sync + ULMB in an IPS works for me.

Does anyone know if the curved screen helps mitigate edge glow at all on these IPS panels?

By edge glow, are you referring to IPS glow or back light bleed? In theory, the curve should help with IPS glow but promote back light bleed.

There will definitely be some IPS glow though even with the curve, just because the screen is so wide.

IPS glow. It seemed like the curved screen would help, but I didn't see a lot of observations about it when I searched google.

TFTCentral in their review of the XR341CK observed that the curvature mitigated the obviousness of IPS glow...

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xr341ck.htm

On a black image there is a characteristic white glow when viewed from an angle, commonly referred to as "IPS-glow". This is common on most modern IPS-type panels and can be distracting to some users. If you view dark content from a normal head-on viewing position, you can actually see this glow as your eyes look towards the edges of the screen. Because of the sheer horizontal size of this 34" panel, the glow towards the edges is more obvious than on small screens, where there isn't such a long distance from your central position to the edges. Some people may find this problematic if they are working with a lot of dark content or solid colour patterns. In normal day to day uses, office work, movies and games you couldn't really notice this unless you were viewing darker content. If you move your viewing position back, which is probably likely for movies and games, the effect reduces as you do not have such an extreme angle from your eye position to the screen edges. The glow effect was a little less than on flat 34" ultra-wide screens as the curved nature created a smaller angle between your eyes and the edges of the screen.

Black still looks greyish and dark content still looks washed out though thanks to the frame-less casings inner black bezel. It's too bad LG is to stupid to make the inner black bezel dark grey, silver or white.

Back