Need For Speed Reboot Requires Online Connection

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like the next Need For Speed game is going to require an internet connection to play. :(

The publisher broke the news on Twitter last night in response to a fan's question on the subject, but reassured that "the benefits are nice" for requiring the restriction. NFS will require an online connection, but the benefits are nice. More variety and a more rewarding experience with friends.

Pretty sure the developer is just trying to give us a reason to Pirate the game. You know the pirates will probably have it cracked for offline play before its even released.

But piracy right?! Let's punish the paying consumer with draconian DRM

NFS Rivals was online all the time (though not as a requirement) and it added a lot to the game to have other people in your game world.

In theory I don't think it's a bad thing. At the same time I don't believe it's to add anything to the game except DRM.

ROFLs. Did the devs have a meeting one day and go "Hey, everyone come up with a bullshit reason for making this online-required. Make it sound really good and believable, the sheeple won't know any better!"

:mad:

In theory I don't think it's a bad thing. At the same time I don't believe it's to add anything to the game except DRM.

It adds to the game, just like being online added to some previous NFS games and Burnout games...

Man, this seems to be the trend for more and more games... and it's a horrible trend....

I don't mind if it's optional, as not everyone need or enjoy whatever additional online features it brings. If I want to be forced to play with other players, I'll play a MMO

When they make it mandatory, then it's obviously a DRM move.

So sick and tired of online requirements for single player experience. If they want to add more features that can only be had with online, thats fine, but give me a base game that doesnt need online so I can replay it in 5 years when the authentication servers turn off.

They can do whatever the fuck they want for multiplayer.

It adds to the game, just like being online added to some previous NFS games and Burnout games...

So have it be optional then. The only reason to force online only play is for BS draconian DRM. The kind of BS draconian DRM that only affects paying customers and not the pirates they say it is made for.

Dang, I was going to buy this game possibly day one. Oh well, no point in it now I guess. (Only reason I would buy it now is if I did so on the Xbox One at a sale or used price.)

ROFLs. Did the devs have a meeting one day and go "Hey, everyone come up with a bullshit reason for making this online-required. Make it sound really good and believable, the sheeple won't know any better!"

Devs never decide stuff, and they are also users.Management makes these stupid decisions.

They are doing to so they can expire the game and force you to upgrade to the next one. They want all their games to be labeled with a year so that 2 years later they can shut down the servers, say thanks and say continue your experience in Blah blah blah 20xx. It's EA after all they can't even get a game with an offline mode to transfer the online mode saves so people don't have to start from scratch in their sports games.

that awkward moment where requiring online connection costs you more money than piracy would have.

They are doing to so they can expire the game and force you to upgrade to the next one. They want all their games to be labeled with a year so that 2 years later they can shut down the servers, say thanks and say continue your experience in Blah blah blah 20xx...

Bingo!

that awkward moment where requiring online connection costs you more money than piracy would have.

I hope that day has come.

Of course, I hope we all knew this was coming. I also assume that it will surprise nobody when the new NFS is a pile of garbage as well?

I mean, nobody here would buy an EA game without a demo.

Would they?

NFS Rivals was online all the time (though not as a requirement) and it added a lot to the game to have other people in your game world.

Too bad most of the "other people" that got dumped into my NFS Rivals sessions were Chatty Cathys talking about everything but the game or to someone else in their living room. I turned that shit off as soon as I found the setting. Friends ONLY, not random players.

You joke, but this is almost exactly how it goes down. 'Ok guys we need a way to make sure we have a persistent online connection, design systems that re-enforce that.'

i can only imagine some execs in a meeting room with a couple of consultants rambling on all kinds of bullshit phrases on their powerpoint slides thinking an online requirement was such a brilliant idea.

Jesus, you guys bitch and moan about online requirements. This isn't 1995 anymore. You all knew this was coming, and have been dealing with it for nearly a decade.

Jesus, you guys bitch and moan about online requirements. This isn't 1995 anymore. You all knew this was coming, and have been dealing with it for nearly a decade.

Really? Do you remember what they did to the Sim City franchise with Sim City the 2013 online only version? Forcing Social Gaming into the Sim City structure that absolutely no one liked. Even offline you still have to utilize that if you want to get anything done quickly. If I have to ask my EA Social Neighbor for fuel to my sports car so that I can race, well I just hope they don't go insane with the "Beneficial Online" like they did in Sim City. If all this is for is DRM, they should just say so, and leave the game alone.

Who the hell would want to play this garbage then? Dumb. Need for speed use to be such a great series.

Wrong. The only part of a game that should require any kind of online are exactly the things that require online. Some brain dead examples for you seems you have trouble discerning them:

1) searching for a multi-player game with actual people outside of the LAN
2) syncing/browsing global player stats or leader-boards
3) uploading/updating your own stats or achievements to the servers

Things that that should, in NO WAY FKNG EVER, require you to have to be online to be able to use:

A) accessing your game match replays, whether the game was online or offline; if they are saved on your hard drive in your machine... you should be able to access and play them because... common sense and none-assholeness.
B) single player modes
C) Local Multiplayer Modes
D) anything else that is not explicitly 1, 2, or 3, above.

You're also wrong on the many other points you try to foist onto everybody as though its their problem this is happening. The users do not desire artificial limitations to be placed on software. We never have, and never will. So to claim "You all new it was coming" is just plane rubbish on so many levels.

you need to stop giving input to society, you are dragging it down.

This should work out well for them. The more they do this, the sooner they'll go under... Oh yeah that's right - a bunch of fucking idiots are still going to preorder this shit... And Madden...

Just because we all have broadband services now, it doesn't mean a standalone game should be online-only. There are plenty of downside no matter how good your internet access is.

Here's the really bad part, and it's not the internet access. It's the reliance on the existence of the game server. EA is not going to sustain the server forever, it's going to get taken down someday and when that happens, your game completely stops working. Not only will you lose the multiplayer feature, you lose the entire game.

Why would I want to invest in something like that. If it's a multiplayer game or MMO, ok, that is just how it works because the entire concept of it is build around an online service. But a standalone game, that should not happen.

Imagine if for example, Final Fantasy 7 was made online-only. The server would have probably been long gone and no one would be able to play it today. That's not how it should be.

You're also wrong on the many other points you try to foist onto everybody as though its their problem this is happening. The users do not desire artificial limitations to be placed on software. We never have, and never will. So to claim "You all new it was coming" is just plane rubbish on so many levels.

No, I didn't say it was the communities fault it was happening (Well, pirating didn't help), I'm saying we all saw the writing on the wall, but are surprised that's happening?

Come now. We all know the requirements sucks. I'm not disputing that, I'm just saying we saw this coming, and everyone acts all surprised and indignant?

Wrong. The only part of a game that should require any kind of online are exactly the things that require online. Some brain dead examples for you seems you have trouble discerning them:

1) searching for a multi-player game with actual people outside of the LAN
2) syncing/browsing global player stats or leader-boards
3) uploading/updating your own stats or achievements to the servers

Things that that should, in NO WAY FKNG EVER, require you to have to be online to be able to use:

A) accessing your game match replays, whether the game was online or offline; if they are saved on your hard drive in your machine... you should be able to access and play them because... common sense and none-assholeness.
B) single player modes
C) Local Multiplayer Modes
D) anything else that is not explicitly 1, 2, or 3, above.

So just don't buy the game?

Except for the part of not being able to pause the game in single player even if you were forcing offline.

Are you playing and the phone or the door rings? SUCKS TO BE YOU, HOW DARE YOU HAVE A LIFE OTHER THAN THE GAME!

yeah, no.

Except for the part of not being able to pause the game in single player even if you were forcing offline.

Are you playing and the phone or the door rings? SUCKS TO BE YOU, HOW DARE YOU HAVE A LIFE OTHER THAN THE GAME!

yeah, no.

Oh yeah, it would have been fucking terrible to lose three minutes of progress from a NFS Rivals event. I weep for you.

The irony of this is amazing, considering how EA is shutting down Need For Speed: World in a couple months, because guess what? It's online-only, so you'll never be able to play it again! What a wonderful trend.

Ruoh said:
Yeah, I can STILL PLAY the games from 1995. Plenty of 5 year old online-only games you can't. I fucking love it when big game companies design games to die forever.

Back