ASUS Announces Support for AMD A-Series ‘Godavari’ APUs

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASUS AMD FM2+ motherboards paired with the new AMD A-series APUs offer excellent-value and performance for its class. If you are a proud owner of an ASUS AMD FM2+-based motherboard, you will be happy to know that they are now ready for the latest AMD ‘Godavari’ APUs after a new BIOS update. ASUS FM2+ A88X, A78, A68H, A58 and A55-series motherboards all support AMD A-series APUs for accelerated performance all the way up to 4K/UHD resolution. A simple update using USB Flashback or EZ Update utilities and you’re good to go, an improved integrated-graphics driver can also be downloaded now for existing ASUS FM2+ motherboard owners.

Has [H] done a review yet, checking the latest APU's performance on various popular titles and comparing them to other integrated offerings or low end dedicated GPUs? The very best Intel integrated graphics is the Iris Pro 6200, right?

I'd like to know if AMD will finally pull another rabbit out of a hat.
I'm about to build my kid a mid range gaming system but it's hard to swing since I just did quite an upgrade to mine (so big the old one is too weak to make a good hand-me-down). Saving a few bucks would be nice, but not if the tradeoff is too big.

You never know, after dx12 comes out a cheaper processor may be just fine if your just using it for gaming.

You never know, after dx12 comes out a cheaper processor may be just fine if your just using it for gaming.

I have heard mixed things, one things say DX12 will make more use of the CPU while other say DX12 will take load off the CPU,....

I have heard mixed things, one things say DX12 will make more use of the CPU while other say DX12 will take load off the CPU,....

I think what should happen is that the tasks should scale better with more threads (up to 6 threads IIRC) so technically it is better utilizing the available resources rather than loading down one core for everything. Theoretically, this will make the CPU less important in the sense that IPC per core will no longer be the sole factor determining the performance during gameplay.

DX12's purpose isn't to relieve the cpu or make it more if an emphasis. It will be removing a bottle neck in game engines that have effectively made it almost impossible for developers to effectively use cpu's to their potential. Developers now have an option to either make the cpu a factor or non factor.

I'd like to know if AMD will finally pull another rabbit out of a hat.
I'm about to build my kid a mid range gaming system but it's hard to swing since I just did quite an upgrade to mine (so big the old one is too weak to make a good hand-me-down). Saving a few bucks would be nice, but not if the tradeoff is too big.

I would say it would make an amazing low-end gaming system/media center for its price. But it will not replace mid-range gaming systems without a discrete GFX card.
Right now a mid-range GFX card would be (Nvidia 670/680/760/770/960) & (AMD 7950/7970/280/280x/285). Unfortunately these APU's can't come close to that level. Until HBM memory (1-2 years?) gets integrated into APU's this will not change.

Back