PC Market To Stall Ahead Of Windows 10

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to industry analysts using a custom "glocal" research model, it has been determined that PC shipments will decline 6.2% ahead of the launch of Windows 10. Our very own in-house analyst verified these findings.

According to the latest figures from IDC's Quarterly PC Tracker, PC shipments are expected to decline 6.2 percent in 2015, due in part to a slower-than-expected consumer transition to Microsoft's new OS, which is set to launch later this year. IDC says the free Windows 10 upgrade will reduce the need for consumers to rush out to buy a new computer.

I could see that. I myself am curious about Windows 10, but not sure I am quite ready to give up Windows 7. I would personally be waiting to see how it fares on the new systems before I purchase it. Always been a late adopter though I suppose.

Yeah no doubt. I don't care how much peeps want to attempt to hype up Windows 8.1 as the saviour of OSes but I myself am definitely waiting til 10 comes out before I do any upgrades to this rig.

Wont be as bad as the decline after Windows 10 launches :p

Yeah no doubt. I don't care how much peeps want to attempt to hype up Windows 8.1 as the saviour of OSes but I myself am definitely waiting til 10 comes out before I do any upgrades to this rig.

Since no one hyped it the way you claim, you have nothing to worry about. :p

I'm just gonna buy another win7 lic key for the free upgrade to win10.

I personally think Outlook is a very good program. Not sure why the magic 8 ball says otherwise.

I could see that. I myself am curious about Windows 10, but not sure I am quite ready to give up Windows 7. I would personally be waiting to see how it fares on the new systems before I purchase it. Always been a late adopter though I suppose.

Win10 is definitely what Win8 should have been as the next step after Win7. I've been running Win10 since tech preview started and aside from a few frustrating bugs (funny thing is the first build has been the most stable build for me), it has been a great experience so far. I'm not going to hype it up and say that everyone needs to jump to it, but overall I feel like the transition from Win7 to 10 (for me) was as easy as the transition from XP to 7.

I'll upgrade to Windows 10 maybe 6-12 months after release. But that doesn't mean I need a new PC to go along with it. I'd imagine most if not all current Win 7 and 8 PC will run Win 10 just fine. Gone are the days where you need to upgrade your hardware to run the new OS.

Gone are the days where you need to upgrade your hardware to run the new OS.

As a relative once told when asked on why they replaced their computer 2 year old computer:
"The old one was full"

I had no response for that, at least not one that wouldn't get me in trouble :)

Apple forces people to upgrade, and each new version of OSX is slower and fatter. Each new Windows is more efficient and faster, yet the press always praises Apple.

Apple forces people to upgrade, and each new version of OSX is slower and fatter. Each new Windows is more efficient and faster, yet the press always praises Apple.

Do they put a gun to your head until you upgrade? Kidnap your kids and hold them for an upgrade ransom? :D

There will always be a performance penalty if you run more advanced software on older hardware. I know, I know, I've heard of people running Windows 7 on a Pentium II, but it's not something that interests me. Quit being a cheap ass and upgrade that 10 year old computer.

I haven't tried Windows 10 on a netbook yet, but based on how it runs on a sandy bridge laptop (basically identical to Win7 except for some minor software compatibility problems caused by W10), I don't think it'll be very different from XP, Vista, or 7 on the same hardware, but I dunno if a lot of people are really going to be interested in taking advantage of the free upgrade thing since the OS a computer ships with generally is the OS it dies with. Some people upgrade, but not really many of them bother or even care about it. When someone advocates otherwise because they're more interested in playing with tech stuff, the non-tech people kinda nod and pat them on the head to get them to stop rambling about it and then promptly ignore their advice (even if they asked for it in the first place just to make casual conversation).

I don't think it'll be very different from XP, Vista, or 7 on the same hardware, but I dunno if a lot of people are really going to be interested in taking advantage of the free upgrade thing since the OS a computer ships with generally is the OS it dies with.

This is true however Windows 10 is being offered for free for the first year and will be available through Windows update, something that's be criticized by some as "forcing" or "tricking" people into upgrading. Which is funny after all the years of people complaining about "paywalls" to get the latest and greatest features in Windows like DX 12.

Waiting for windows 10? That used to make sense to wait for the next os. Now it doesn't. Windows 10 is free for windows 7 and 8 users so why would you wait to buy the pc just because of windows 10?

So I do not buy the concept of windows 10 itself being the reason.

Now OTHER reasons?

Oh yes.

1. Major new video card hardware coming out.
2. New chipset and processors coming out.
3. New type of video card memory coming out.
4. New high end PCI Express Solid State drives coming out cheaper then before.

Waiting for some of the above and not buying last gen hardware.... Now THAT makes sense.

Waiting on windows 10? no that doens't. It's a free upgrade anyway.

If you have Technet Windows 7, will the free Windows 10 Upgrade work?

This is true however Windows 10 is being offered for free for the first year and will be available through Windows update, something that's be criticized by some as "forcing" or "tricking" people into upgrading. Which is funny after all the years of people complaining about "paywalls" to get the latest and greatest features in Windows like DX 12.

Right, I forgot about them using the update service to deploy new operating systems. I guess if that's the case and the in-place upgrade works pretty well, then maybe? I guess we'll find out soon enough either way since we're not too far away from the release date.

Do they put a gun to your head until you upgrade? Kidnap your kids and hold them for an upgrade ransom? :D

Loss of end-user software support, even while on warranty, can be a rather HUGE gun to someone's head.

Loss of end-user software support, even while on warranty, can be a rather HUGE gun to someone's head.

Versions of Windows have at least a decade of support which leads the industry in client computing.

No, I was talking about MacOS. As the original post was talking about how poorly MacOS upgrades tend to perform. Even on relatively new systems.

That and Apple's habit of dropping support for any of their software that isn't bleeding edge.

I want to get a surface pro 3 however im going to hold off until the 4 comes out with windows 10. Been running the beta of windows 10 for a few months now and i love it.

Back