New AMD A-Series Delivers Best-In-Class Experience for eSports and Online Gaming

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today introduced the latest addition to its line of desktop A-Series processors, the A10-7870K APU, a refresh to the existing line of processors codenamed “Kaveri”. The A10-7870K delivers a best-in-class experience for eSports and online gaming with superior performance, best-in-class efficiency in DirectX® 12, and unique features. The new processor also delivers exceptional performance in modern workloads and is designed for the future with Microsoft Windows® 10.

The latest iteration of the popular and powerful AMD A-Series APU family provides premium performance and multitasking powered by up to 12 compute cores (4 CPU + 8 GPU). The responsiveness and processing power of the A10-7870K APU enables an immersive user experience on Windows® 10 PCs while offering an easy path for PC builders looking to upgrade to discrete-level graphics and faster processing at an afforadable price. The A10-7870K APU is available at e-tail now at a suggested price (SEP) of US $137, and through participating system builders.

The A10-7870K delivers a best-in-class experience for eSports and online gaming with superior performance, best-in-class efficiency in DirectX® 12, and unique features

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHA, What a great laugh to start the day with. Seriously if you are apart of Esports are you really gonna use an AMD APU as part of your rig? yea right.

well if its a tiny portable gaming pc then i'm down. i been waiting for something like that. does it support hbm?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHA, What a great laugh to start the day with. Seriously if you are apart of Esports are you really gonna use an AMD APU as part of your rig? yea right.

I'm pretty sure all of the most popular e-sport games will run on a potato. CS, DOTA, LOL, SCII etc.

So with the most ubber A88X chipset mobo, this maxed out platform will cost $200...

Is there a technical reason we can't just get the XBox/PS4 APU in an AMD desktop mobo? Seems like if its good enough as the defacto "next gen" console standard, it should be good enough for a cheap HTPC or gaming laptop.

Is there a technical reason we can't just get the XBox/PS4 APU in an AMD desktop mobo? Seems like if its good enough as the defacto "next gen" console standard, it should be good enough for a cheap HTPC or gaming laptop.

There was an AMD thread talking about high wattage APUs in the works for a release. I suspect this is exactly what we will be getting.

You think this thing will run Assassins Creed Unity? I've been thinking about building a cheapo "console" gaming rig to hook up to the TV in my office to play more console-ish (best played with a controller) games instead of an Xbox One or PS4. I dont want to spend 1000+ building a high end i7 gaming rig, just want something bare minimum. ACU is probably the only and most graphically intensive game that I would be playing on it. I've priced it out and can put a decent machine together with an SSD and 16gb of memory for only $391, if it will run what I want I would say that's a damn good deal!

part of their article torwards the end highlights integration with r7/r9 cards. seems more end of last gen tech with their info.

Yes, the CPUs are way too slow and performance in would be terrible.

Why would anyone want to?

Here are some AMD benchmarks running these games. They show different builds from using AMD FreeSync monitors to cheaper builds. If you take out the $600 monitor from the first build I would think that it's a darn nice PC for someone playing those types of games.

Why would anyone want to?
Cheap HTPC would be the obvious application... now if the question is, well why not just buy the PS4 in the first place? Well, because a Windows box running the same hardware would be a lot more capable and flexible.

Best in class APU sounds right to me, unless synergist else has a better APU?

;)

From the linked article, footnotes at the bottom :"2.Tested in AMD internal labs using AMD A10-7870K Radeon R7, with AMD Radeon™ R7 Graphics, 2x4096 MBytes of DDR3-1866 RAM, Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview,15.200.0.0 and Intel® Core™ i5-4570R CPU @ 2.70GHz with Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 5200 graphics, 2x4096 MBytes of DDR3-1600 RAM, 10.18.15.4204. A10-7870K performed 5,167,514 draw calls in DirectX® 12 while the Core i5 performed 1,610,377 draw calls in DirectX®12..

Woo, way to go AMD. Your newest and best managed to beat an Intel CPU released in the second quarter of 2013 and all you had to do was use faster RAM, more than double the clock speed, and use an API that isn't released yet.

Also, I'd like to know which of the afore-mentioned esport games will be using DX12?

Aaaaahahahahaha... Best in class? For esports? Sorry AMD, I'm really trying hard not to bash, but this description is really kind of pathetic.

Saying something is best-in-class without defining what that class is, is beyond pointless. I'm sure the first car that I ever owned was best-in-class at something. But it was still a piece of shit. Maybe "best-in-class for being able to be traded in for $100"?

eSports? Really? Um... yeah... 'nuff said.

Found a slide of what AMD claims, they compare their APU to a "core i3 + nvidia gt740" they don't say which i3 but that is a pretty crappy gpu option to compare to. Less you are really poor, gt740 isn't even much of a viable gaming option period.

I was using an A10-7850k as my HTPC, but I thought it was using too much power, so I bought one of those $159 Asus Chromeboxes and hacked it to run Linux. Real Haswell core Celeron (albeit clocked pretty low) 12W at the wall at load. 5W at idle. Still runs all of my media needs just fine.

I have an A10 7800 in a little Antec ISK 110. (About the size of an old external hard drive enclosure.) Games like a champ at mid to low settings depending on how new the game is (old stuff runs like a champ of course). It's definitely a niche product to me--I don't see why you would not just get a cheap Intel if you want a discrete GPU on a budget--but for what it does it's probably the only game in town. I can only imagine this benches higher than the 7800 so if you want a little baby gaming PC give it a try.

If AMD ever does get to that holy grail of a powerful enough APU to truly make discrete mid range GPU's obsolete, that would be something. This ain't it yet but I do like that they're trying.

Found a slide of what AMD claims, they compare their APU to a "core i3 + nvidia gt740" they don't say which i3 but that is a pretty crappy gpu option to compare to. Less you are really poor, gt740 isn't even much of a viable gaming option period.

IN CLASS is an important part of that statement. The fact of the matter is that a $150 AMD APU trounces what their competition has even at $200 (least expensive i3 and 740 on egg ). I know this is [H] forum but you understand there are a lot of "gamers" playing these types of games on integrated graphics right?

Most of the people I know who play these games hard core don't know anything about computers other than their PoS from best buy or costco runs it fine.

Zarathustra[H];1041629754 said:
I was using an A10-7850k as my HTPC, but I thought it was using too much power, so I bought one of those $159 Asus Chromeboxes and hacked it to run Linux. Real Haswell core Celeron (albeit clocked pretty low) 12W at the wall at load. 5W at idle. Still runs all of my media needs just fine.
Yeah if you're going to efficiency out of a htpc intel wins by miles, only reason for the apu is if you wanted to run some low end games.

If they could make a power efficient APU with superb graphics, I want one for my Surface Pro because that Intel HD graphics bs is lacking.

Cheap HTPC would be the obvious application... now if the question is, well why not just buy the PS4 in the first place? Well, because a Windows box running the same hardware would be a lot more capable and flexible.

It would not be the same price, the monetization of the console market is different.

Console makers make money via software licensing fees, addon service fees, and accessory fees and so they do not need the same margins on the base hardware. Because of the relatively high volume they also leverage that into lower costs per unit from their supplies in exchange for volume and spreading out fixed costs over a much larger amount of units.

If they could make a power efficient APU with superb graphics, I want one for my Surface Pro because that Intel HD graphics bs is lacking.

Dont buy a Surface expecting to get discrete graphics levels of power. Never gonna happen, for the forseeable future. MAYBE at 10nm, maybe.

From the linked article, footnotes at the bottom :"2.Tested in AMD internal labs using AMD A10-7870K Radeon R7, with AMD Radeon™ R7 Graphics, 2x4096 MBytes of DDR3-1866 RAM, Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview,15.200.0.0 and Intel® Core™ i5-4570R CPU @ 2.70GHz with Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 5200 graphics, 2x4096 MBytes of DDR3-1600 RAM, 10.18.15.4204. A10-7870K performed 5,167,514 draw calls in DirectX® 12 while the Core i5 performed 1,610,377 draw calls in DirectX®12..

Woo, way to go AMD. Your newest and best managed to beat an Intel CPU released in the second quarter of 2013 and all you had to do was use faster RAM, more than double the clock speed, and use an API that isn't released yet.

Also, I'd like to know which of the afore-mentioned esport games will be using DX12?

I think the Intel CPU used for comparison is a perfectly valid choice. It is one that uses Intel's flagship integrated graphics and is closest in price to the A10-7870K. (Although it's typically about $50~$60 more than the early pricing seen thus far for this A10.) The IMC on the A10 is designed for DDR3-2133; this particular i5 uses DDR3-1600. So, AMD is actually self-imposing a nerf on the A10 by using DDR3-1866. I'd guess that in this particular metric, it wouldn't have mattered even if both processors had used the same set of DDR3-1600 DIMMs; the A10 still would have had the better result.

As far as the API used, I simply think AMD is asking, "Graphics-wise, which platform would you prefer heading into the latter half of 2015 and beyond?"

eSports? Really? Um... yeah... 'nuff said.

It's horribad stupid, but AMD has to use the terminology that those types of people have given to themselves or it'll alienate them by not acknowledging their self-assigned identities. eSports *snerk* people are super touchy about having that self-image questioned in the slightest bit so you hafta be super-politically correct around them and their sensitivities.

It's horribad stupid, but AMD has to use the terminology that those types of people have given to themselves or it'll alienate them by not acknowledging their self-assigned identities. eSports *snerk* people are super touchy about having that self-image questioned in the slightest bit so you hafta be super-politically correct around them and their sensitivities.

I'm always shocked when I agree with CUG :p

But, yeah. eSports is one of the dumbest concepts ever. Something that should have just stayed in Korea where the rest of us never had to hear about it again.

Just because you do something competitively does not mean it is a sport.

Other things that are done competitively:
  • Midget Throwing Contest
  • Air Guitar Championships.
  • Extreme Ironing World Championships.
  • World Sauna Championships.
  • World's Ugliest Dog Contest.
  • World Beard and Moustache Championships.
  • Miss Russian Army.
  • The World Black Pudding Throwing Championship.

etc. etc.

When you talk about e-sports this is the company you are in.

Whats worse is that the [H] seems to be embracing it too. I was absolutely flabbergasted when on the main page they - many times - reminded us to watch the live stream of some ridiculous 24 hour race (a car game).

People actually want to watch other people play car games for 24 hours?

If I wanted to do that I could walk into my living room and watch my 7 year old stepson play Gran Turismo...

(What is wrong with people?)

Zarathustra[H];1041630755 said:

I'm shocked too. I'm going to find a nice corner I can sit in while I hug my knees and rock back and forth...hopefully one that's not in the same room as a 24-hour video game car race.

It would not be the same price, the monetization of the console market is different.

Console makers make money via software licensing fees, addon service fees, and accessory fees and so they do not need the same margins on the base hardware. Because of the relatively high volume they also leverage that into lower costs per unit from their supplies in exchange for volume and spreading out fixed costs over a much larger amount of units.

Exactly this!

Microsoft/Sony pays AMD money to make them a custom APU. That APU goes in millions of consoles, and there is no other SKU available. They make money off hardware sales plus game sales plus services sales. They have several YEARS to make money off this design!

But AMD only makes money selling hardware. And they have at-best a couple years before they have to replace a design with a new one, or risk market stagnation. Such is the problem you have getting people to purchase new x86 hardware: since every single one is compatible and open, you're competing with (1) your old parts (2) your new parts (3) Intel and (4) alternative OSes that don't require x86.

To see why they cut-down Kaveri's GPU, just look at the numbers:

PS4 die size: 384 square millimeters, 28nm process.
Kaveri die size: 245 square millimeters, 28nm process.

I'm assuming the processor sizes between Kabini 8-core and Kaveri 4-core are similar, since they have the same total L2 cache (4MB), same total decoders (16), similar total execution resources, etc.

So more than doubling the shaders and increasing ROPS by 4x = 50% larger die! That's hardly cheap. And when it was released AMD wanted $170 for their top-end part, so you can be sure it's not cheap to build. They're probably losing money on it at $130.

And then you have the issue of somehow powering that 32 ROP beast. Don't forget you're limited to 100w TDP and dual-channel DDR3. No of course you can't increase that TDP - it's the limiting factor for getting built-into smaller form-factor systems, which is your target market.

And as for the bandwidth to drive the thing, surely AMD doesn't mind including 1GB HBM at no additional cost, am i rite? After all, because it's on-interposer that means memory chips are suddenly free rite!

But AMD fans want more for less than is physically possible. No fucking wonder the company is going under - their remaining die-hard fans are unrealistic cheapskates who want the world for a dollar :(

And that's why you won't see a high-powered APU aimed at the consumer market. Most people are not willing to get saddled with a particular CPU, and since you're not really not saving any money attaching a 7870 to the same die a product of that power level makes no sense, since you still have to supply dedicated memory and a special CPU socket to handle all the extra power consumption.

You might as well just buy a discrete card. And that my friends is exactly what everyone does.

Zarathustra[H];1041630755 said:

But, yeah. eSports is one of the dumbest concepts ever. Something that should have just stayed in Korea where the rest of us never had to hear about it again.

Just because you do something competitively does not mean it is a sport.

Other things that are done competitively:
  • Midget Throwing Contest
  • Air Guitar Championships.
  • Extreme Ironing World Championships.
  • World Sauna Championships.
  • World's Ugliest Dog Contest.
  • World Beard and Moustache Championships.
  • Miss Russian Army.
  • The World Black Pudding Throwing Championship.

etc. etc.

When you talk about e-sports this is the company you are in.

Whats worse is that the [H] seems to be embracing it too. I was absolutely flabbergasted when on the main page they - many times - reminded us to watch the live stream of some ridiculous 24 hour race (a car game).

People actually want to watch other people play car games for 24 hours?

If I wanted to do that I could walk into my living room and watch my 7 year old stepson play Gran Turismo...

(What is wrong with people?)

Why do the two of you insist on thread crapping in every single one of these threads on a subject that clearly doesn't interest you? As for who watches? Hundreds of thousands in any given popular game and Millions across the board. Nothing is any more wrong with people who enjoy esports than there is with people who enjoy any other hobby of their choice.

This is an online forum, not your front porch. We have heard you yelling "get off my lawn" unfortunately you don't seem to realize it isn't your lawn.

Why do the two of you insist on thread crapping in every single one of these threads on a subject that clearly doesn't interest you? As for who watches? Hundreds of thousands in any given popular game and Millions across the board. Nothing is any more wrong with people who enjoy esports than there is with people who enjoy any other hobby of their choice.

This is an online forum, not your front porch. We have heard you yelling "get off my lawn" unfortunately you don't seem to realize it isn't your lawn.

Having an "I'm special and it's a sport, damnit" temper tantrum doesn't change the fact that it is freaking retarded at its core.

Selective attention much? You missed post number 15 in this thread and overlooked a few other opinions in the last thread wherein you noted the lack of a peanut gallery which I graciously allowed you to have out of pity for your plight and you've so quickly forgotten by saying I do it to "every single thread" about this junk. Don't be so infatuated with the awesomeness of me and Zara that you overlook that other people share the same viewpoint and, in fact, there's prolly lots more of us than you (if you wanna divide it into "sides" and you include the world's total population) so your carrying the torch is no more an affront than someone else tossing a bucket of reality water onto it's flame. Beyond that, I'm pretty sure you've no room to talk since you're not innocent of never posting a negative opinion of something in a thread.

I love the idea of AMD's APUs in an HTPC or casual use PC. They crush all other integrated graphics solutions (the "best-in-class" claims).

The thing is the "high-end" APUs are too expensive. Assuming the 7870K will take the current price-point of the 7850K in the near future, the current sale prices are:

Athlon X4 860K $89.99

AMD A10 7850K $159.99

It just so happens that for $70 you can get an R7 250 which nicely one-ups the APU. Never mind coughing up an additional $20 for an FX-63** or FX-83** with the dedicated GPU. So if performance or price is your concern the high end APU is a bad fit any way you look at it.

Now the lower end APUs like an A6 7400K at $74.99 or even a A6 5400K at $49.99 are bloody brilliant. Absolutely crushes all competition in its price bracket and you can build a PC for ~$200 based around it.

Why do the two of you insist on thread crapping in every single one of these threads on a subject that clearly doesn't interest you? ...

Why, it's almost as if Zara, Taint, PRIME1 and crew are EMPLOYED by Nvidia to smear, lie, ridicule and misinform in every AMD-related thread to drive or retain sales for Nvidia. Spending the amount of time and effort in AMD-related threads is clearly far beyond fanboy-ism, that's for damn sure.

What's equally frustrating is that the [H] admins/mods do almost nothing about it until a whole new replacement crew has already tagged-in to carry on their work.

Why, it's almost as if Zara, Taint, PRIME1 and crew are EMPLOYED by Nvidia to smear, lie, ridicule and misinform in every AMD-related thread to drive or retain sales for Nvidia/Intel. Spending the amount of time and effort in AMD-related threads is clearly far beyond fanboy-ism, that's for damn sure.

What's equally frustrating is that the [H] admins/mods do almost nothing about it until a whole new replacement crew has already tagged-in to carry on their work.

Corrected.

Back