SanDisk Introduces New SSD Optimized for Mobile Computing

HardOCP News

[H] News
SanDisk Corporation, a global leader in flash storage solutions, today introduced the new SanDisk Z400s SSD, a cost effective solid-state drive (SSD) designed to replace hard-disk drives (HDDs) in computing platforms and embedded applications. PCs and embedded systems need consistent, reliable access to storage in order to meet business demands. The Z400s outperforms HDDs by 20x, while providing 5x the reliability with 20x lower average power consumption, all at a price point on par with HDDs. The SanDisk Z400s SSD joins the company’s existing portfolio of flash-based solutions that are designed to deliver a delightful user experience and reliability at an affordable price point.

"all at a price point on par with HDDs."

No way in hell its even $350 for 1TB, let alone $50 for 500 gig or $100 for 2TB like you can get for 2.5" spinners right now.

Last edited:
"all at a price point on par with HDDs."

No way in hell its even $350 for 1TB, let alone $50 for 500 gig or $100 for 2TB like you can get for 2.5" spinners right now.

Fixed. I missed typed my TB vs GB per $$$

you do realize that you can get 1TB drives for 300 now right?

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-I...3?ie=UTF8&qid=1432828622&sr=8-3&keywords=m500

I already told you this and yet you make a claim that it won't be? m500 is still a solid SSD

m550 was as low as 330 before
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Crucial-...024M550SSD1/product/B00IRRDHW6?context=browse

so its not unlikely considering that this drive is cheap TLC instead of MLC drive like the ones listed could be sold for sub $300.

If they sold it for 200 i would consider that price to be on par...2x price per gig for a SSD would be on par in my eyes considering the performance difference. The problem with SSDs though is endurance. An SSD can be slower than a hardrive once that wall is hit :/

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This will be great for your average home user who does not need a terabyte hard drive, much less a 320 gb spinning hdd. They can probably get by with a 128 or 256 gb ssd. And your average home user will never ever have to worry about hitting the wall. The speed increase and increased durability (no moving parts) makes this a WIN WIN.

Last edited:
RTA:
The SanDisk Z400s is sampling with customers immediately in mSATA, 2.5” SATA and M.2 (2242 and 2280) form factors, in capacities of 32GB, 64GB, 128GB and 256GB

Sampling with customers? What does that mean?

I would prefer to hear something about massive shipments to the distribution centers of Walmart and Newegg.com.

This will be great for your average home user who does not need a terabyte hard drive, much less a 320 gb spinning hdd. They can probably get by with a 128 or 256 gb ssd.

How about a 64 GB drive? Maybe that won't be much cheaper.

Back